Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase my first Honda and found a 2017 (Footshift) Honda Foreman 500 that is all stock besides a snorkel kit and 33 in BKT's.

The guy wants $5100 for it and it has 140 hours. Looks pretty clean. My main quuestion would be the following...

Would I need to put a GR in this to take it mudding? My current quad is a Outlander 800 on 32 in silver backs with a 4 in lift/ snorkeled. I'd like for the Honda to be able to get through just as much if not more than my can am.

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
No Honda 4wheeler will EFFECTIVELY turn anything over a light 28/heavy 27 without a GR.

People will say "mah Honda turns 30's stock and does grate" No, it doesn't. It's physics.

So yes, you will absolutely need a GR unless you plan on putting around on pavement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Honda 4wheeler will EFFECTIVELY turn anything over a light 28/heavy 27 without a GR.

People will say "mah Honda turns 30's stock and does grate" No, it doesn't. It's physics.

So yes, you will absolutely need a GR unless you plan on putting around on pavement.
This is exactly what I thought. I messaged the guy and sent him a screenshot of what you said and his reply was - “Honestly I was skeptical putting the 33s on it but I’ve been in Georgia clay and some really thick stuff at hog Waller and it’s done great”

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here’s pics

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you plan on lots of mud riding, I would put in the GR anyway. Just a guess as to how your Can am was set up im assuming you like to play in the mud...haha

·
Premium Member
6,216 Posts
There are a lot of guys who say their bike pulls XX tires great with no GR.

Same with guys who run 33's on a Jeep with 2.73 gears, or 35's on a GM pickup with 3.42's

They're full of it. It will move, but eventually you smoke clutches because the gearing isn't right.

The guy is trying to sell a wheeler. He's going to tell you what you want to hear. Might be a good bike, but again, but it will be a dog in the mud with no GR when compared to a machine with proper gearing.

I've seen a Foreman bog out with 26's in the right mud. Couldn't spin them fast enough to clean the tires out, and eventually so much mud built up on the tires that it was solid mud between the fender and the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to purchase my first Honda and found a 2017 (Footshift) Honda Foreman 500 that is all stock besides a snorkel kit and 33 in BKT's.

The guy wants $5100 for it and it has 140 hours. Looks pretty clean. My main quuestion would be the following...

Would I need to put a GR in this to take it mudding? My current quad is a Outlander 800 on 32 in silver backs with a 4 in lift/ snorkeled. I'd like for the Honda to be able to get through just as much if not more than my can am.
Okay so you hear a lot about how hondas "cant pull big tires"which is absolutely not true. imma die hard honda guy, every one of my friends ride honda too, i can build any honda from frame to running. Do not listen to the people who bash honda and say they have no power. I personally think hondas are better than huge bikes when it comes to huge tires because they are chain driven and manual. A chain driven bike is just all out tougher and big tires mess with your bike. A MANUAL IS BETTER FOR BIGGER TIRES, BETTER TORQUE CONTROL WHICH IS MANDITORY FOR THOSE SIZE TIRES AND IT DOES NOT FALL APART. you ever wonder why a canam on huge tires always messes up, bc they arent made for it, cant handle it. The belt might rip in half and your anxles and drivesaft migh be on the other side of the woods. Hondas do not do this no matter the size of tire. chain driven and a manual. I have seen a old model 500 turn 34.5 outlaws stock, you cant just ease on the gas tryna creep like you still have 30s. GR would make that bike unstoppable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts