Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I wire the lever down at the transmission all the way back so that you don't have to press the red button for reverse?Would this affect any other gears?When plowing,it's a pain to press the red button every time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What bike is this goin to be done on? S or ES? if you do this i wouldnt let anyone else ride it, it prob wont hurt anything as long as you are careful.. on a ES you have to be moveing below 3mph, on a S it dont matter. Its just goin to make alot of noise if you hit R by mistake..

·
Registered
189 Posts
HOW TO DISSABLE THE REVERSE BUTTON-BRAKE ON S MODEL HONDA ATV
Allows you to shift into reverse without pushing red reverse button and pulling left brake lever.

If you find the adjusting sleeve located on cable 3 in this exploded diagram: It will be the one with a nut that locks the adjusting sleeve in place.

<a href="http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0364/" target="_blank">http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0364/ ... &groupid=2</a> 520&parent=2480

Loosen the locking nut (I believe it took a 9mm open ended wrench).
Turn the adjusting sleeve out, so you are seeing more of the thread.
Keep adjusting it out while tapping down on the shifter (going into reverse). You should feel the shifter getting tighter.
Once you reach the point it bypasses the reverse lock the shifter will go into reverse without touching the reverse button and/or brake lever.
Tighten the lock bolt back up.

Once this is done you DO NOT have to touch the reverse button or touch the brake lever. You just keep tapping down on the shifter and it will go from neutral to reverse.

FYI I did this on my 01 450s as well as an 05 500 foreman S.
<a href="http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f/in" target="_blank">http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f/in ... topic=1178</a>

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
if you have an S model, I suggest you DONT do this mod, its jus to easy to accidentaly go in reverse when you dont want it to. I have a suspicion this what I did to mine once, and it cost me a few parts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,it is a manual foot shift model.It still has to be in neutral before going into reverse,correct?Seems to me it would be hard to all of a sudden hit reverse from 1st or 2nd gear.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Would it work on the es model to just use a zip tie and zip tie the little lever over (the one under the quad) so you could shift into rev anytime without pulling the break and button

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Since I have no brakes anyhow I just zipped tied my red button down so I all I have to do is pull the brake lever back and push the down button on my 450 ES.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE ("harry":34wxmh4k)
Would it work on the es model to just use a zip tie and zip tie the little lever over (the one under the quad) so you could shift into rev anytime without pulling the break and button

That's the lever I was talking about.The one underneath.I like EUROBRO'S idea:Zip tie the button down.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It's not safe to by-pass the reverse lock out ..I did it to my bike but I only use the bike to plow & haul wood ,so I drive it slow and I'm careful shifting .. It does make it a lot easier to plow with , you can keep your left hand on the up/down toggle switch & still shift into reverse ..

All I did was slid the rubber boot covering the rear brake/parking brake ..Put the bike in reverse then without releasing the lever I put a 10mm nut between the pivot & stopper (just on the reverse cable not the brake cable) this holds the reverse lock-out activated .. To release to just push the litttle red button pull the parking brake lever and the nut will drop out .. Then the reverse is back to normal ..

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I noticed that it is kinda pain to shift into reverse with the es. I think I would still want to have to pull the break lever back. At least that way I will know I'm putting it into reverse. Is there a better and easer way to get the red button to stay down? Will it void the warranty?

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are already pulling back the brake lever, how is also pushing a button a pain? Not trying to be a jerk, but puting a Honda into reverse w/ this method is second nature to me. I don't even think about and I ride a different machine every day.

If you modify your machine and damage it, you will void the warranty on anything related to your modification. If your meter goes out for example, that has nothing to do w/ reverse and will still be covered.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
QUOTE ("honda_brp_tech":eg3mqj9l)
If you are already pulling back the brake lever, how is also pushing a button a pain? Not trying to be a jerk, but puting a Honda into reverse w/ this method is second nature to me. I don't even think about and I ride a different machine every day.

If you modify your machine and damage it, you will void the warranty on anything related to your modification. If your meter goes out for example, that has nothing to do w/ reverse and will still be covered.
I have my foreman for TWO days and its my FIRST quad. How long have you had your FOREMAN?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry if I offended you, I was just curious and like I said not trying to be a jerk. If you only had your quad two days, give it time. It won't be long and you won't even have to think about it when putting it in reverse.

Right now I have a sport quad and haven't owned a quad w/ reverse in quite a few years, but I wrench on them every day and have ridden everything that Honda and BRP make.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have my reverse lock-out button engaged all the time ..(just in the winter when I plow snow) .. And the reason I have it like that is because I drive & run the throttle with my right hand and I keep my left hand on the mini rocker switch that runs the winch .. It costs nothing to have it engaged all the time I just use an 8mm nut .. Engage the reverse and with the brake still squeezed put the nut in to jam the reverse lock so it won't dis-engage ..

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the hardest to see, good tip HM

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for posting this!! This is what brought me to this forum!!!!

After reading the replies, I came up with my own version of this fix, and that is a simple zip tie on the cable at the lever. I left it just a little loose, that way I can simply cut it off if I ever get brave enough to let the wife drive it, or I take it in for sevice. A bag of 100 heavy duty zip ties cost about $5, so this is very in-expensive and semi-permanent.

I liked the idea of the nut, but was afraid it would fall out under heavy riding. Hope this helps somebody out!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did the ziptie method on mine monday and noticed you still need to have the brakes on when you shift into Rev or it makes loud noise when shifted in. But instead of me having trouble with the thing not wanting to go into Rev it goes right in now!

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE ("flyinscootrpilot":24dlmm98)
I did the ziptie method on mine monday and noticed you still need to have the brakes on when you shift into Rev or it makes loud noise when shifted in. But instead of me having trouble with the thing not wanting to go into Rev it goes right in now!
Weird, mine is not like that at all. Instead, it just goes through neutral, right into reverse. Mine is a 2005 though.

I wanted it for plowing snow more than anything. A couple friends said I wouldn't like it for everyday riding, but I haven't noticed any difference. I stop in gear, then go into neutral...so the chance of me hitting reverse while going forward is a long shot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts