Honda Foreman Forums banner

Bumpy on smooth roads

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  lucky644 
#1 ·
My hunting buddy and I bought almost identical Foremans, (mines a ES, his is not) he mentioned to me the other day that it felt like the right rear wheel was...hopping....almost like the tire wasn't properly mounted on the wheel.

I rode it, and confirmed his has a weird hopping effect, it isn't major but definately noticible on a smooth road.

It wasn't doing this before though, as I road it while I was waiting for my own to come in. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the brakes because they are on the right rear wheel.

Thoughts?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
QUOTE ("dgt714":qzduxizj)
Are these the factory tires that with the forman?
Yup, and they were silky smooth on the road before, its noticible on any surface but just really on the road.

It's not the tread design, it's something else.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
QUOTE ("dgt714":ixk5xh9s)
I would raise the back end an shake the right rear to make sure the lugs are tight, Then spin the tire to check for something out of normal.you might see or hear something.
Luckily we keep both machines in my garage, I went over and propped it up and spun the wheel, for 1/4 a turn there is a faint rubbing sound, nothing seems wrong visually, and i spun it a lot looking for the wheel to be wobbling or something. looked good, and everything was tight.

could that be the brake rubbing?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
QUOTE ("rickster":10f3h2zd)
put more air in the tire an d then ride it it is probly a flat spot on the tire from being on the cocrete floor. mine do that on all my wheelers after they sit in my shop for a while.
If I hadn't noticed the rubbing noise I'd say you were probably right, it's been sitting on concrete for a week straight.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
QUOTE ("rickster":3pdsj1v1)
try it and let me know if that was it.
It isn't, something else is causing it, i'm starting to think it's the rear brakes.

And now that I think about it, that bike was ridden for a bit with the parking brake on, he didnt notice because theres so much power it just plowed through it haha.

That likely wore them down, but causing rubbing? I have no idea.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
QUOTE ("dgt714":3i9gwl2p)
QUOTE ("rickster":3i9gwl2p)
put more air in the tire an d then ride it it is probly a flat spot on the tire from being on the cocrete floor. mine do that on all my wheelers after they sit in my shop for a while.
I agreea l with rickster, The breaks are a sealed unit, probably a lot of brake dust,just like your truck if you ever done a brake job you`ll know what I mean.[/quote]

I've never done a brake job

Is it possible the heat from the brake warped it or something?

It's just that it's the only tire doing it, wouldn't all the tires have a 'flat' spot in this case?

Discussion starter · #14 ·
QUOTE ("dgt714":1j90j8n5)
Sorry I didn`t see the reply about ridding with the breaks on,kinda slow on pecking.yea it`s possably something got warped.I take it in an let them look at it. Is it under warrenty?
Only 20 miles on it, I sure hope it's under warrenty haha.

Someone over at highlifters said a wheel bearing might be going out due to the heat.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
QUOTE ("RJR":1m30owgw)
Please keep us updated on what the problem was. My son rode my bike for a ways with the emergency brake on the first notch also and I would like to know what ill effect it had on your friends bike.
I'll post our findings when it gets to the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.