Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not looking too good for this front differential. Strange clunking sound when shifting or gassing it had me wondering what I had done.
This is on a 2001 Honda Foreman 450 with 300 miles. Suggestions please?
The last picture really shows it best.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Suggestions please?
If you feel up to rebuilding the diff yourself you could replace the broken cover for about $200 in parts.

A properly done Devcon repair might hold. This stuff is basically industrial JB weld and works well with proper joint preparation.

ITW Devcon | Maintenance & Repair Aluminum Putty (F)

Someone who knows what they're doing might be able to weld it. If you have to pay them it'll probably cost more than a new cover though.

You might be able to find a used diff somewhere.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I think I would just have it welded!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd look for a used housing on Ebay. I've welded cracks on differentials before but I usually break the mounting brackets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MattT, JB Weld did cross my mind. There is a local place that does a decent job welding, I have not contacted them yet but will once I get the diff out to see about prices.

Right now I'm having issues pulling the CV shafts out, they're in there pretty good.

Hondo, I checked eBay and although not bad, they're prices are in the $175 area for the cheapest! That's pretty pricey when I have no idea what the internals are like. I've only got a little over 300 miles on this one!

Oh, and is this normal? Have others had this happen??

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You musta rode that thing F'ing hard to break that.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
i have that 1/2 of the diff you need pm me and you can have it just pay shipping ...RICH

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't believe JB weld will hold here.

Could weld some steel ears on the diff. supports to go to existing bolts on the diff. for support but is a lot of work.

Get it welded or replace it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've seen 2 400's one with a cracked hole and another with the short end broke off. I know one was jumped alot. My old 400 is always getting the steel mounts cracked. The axles can be hard to pull, I usually use a tire tool to pop mine off. Some times I have to pry and smack the hub with a hammer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gauntlet, I think it was due to plowing in the winter. Extreme temps and severe beating on it slamming into snowbanks. This year will bring tire chains and spool locker in the front. Never heard of someone plowing hard enough to do that though.

Rich, I will take you up on that!

Hondo, I've never jumped this but I do give it a hard time in the woods.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I figure my problem is crossing ditches where cattle cross. Deep soft bottoms with hard dropoffs on both sides. I also have the problem in timber of if it looks like I can go over it I usually try.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well since I'm tearing the diff outta this rig, I wanna lock the front. I see on here theres some description of how to put pennies in the front end to lock it? Its rather vague as far as direction wise. I have half of a highlifter spool, the other half went missing. Any suggestions on a cheap way to lock? Not a debate on whether to spool or to go dgl or add a 424. I'm just putting it together cheap as possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
broke mine identically, just weld it back together, the bigger problem is your frame is soft enough that it's flexing enough to break the diff

·
Registered
818 Posts
Buy another HL spool, they're only $35 if you can still get them. Or have one fabbed from the piece you already have.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
hay sorry bud i looked for 2 days for that cover and bearings (i just have 2 much crap) and cant find it anywere .......RICH

·
Registered
31 Posts
my frame was far beyond repair (spent a lot of time in salt water and could push a screwdriver through the frame), ended up getting a parts bike with a decent frame

look over the frame on the bottom tubes between the front diff and the motor mounts, a crack there will give it the flex that puts the load on the diff, if you find something, just weld some pipe cut down the middle in a C shape over it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay finally got everything back to put together! The guys I took the case to did a great job welding it.

Here's my question, since I took so long taking this thing apart and getting it fixed... I don't remember where things went in the front diff. I have one side put together and now I'm doing the other side and that's where I'm hung up. I'm following the HL spool install instructions as I'm doing that at the same time. I'm at the point where it says to reinstall the concave spring washer and spring seal. I don't know what the spring seal is?? And also, the concave washer, which way does it go? Cupped towards the spool or cupped away from the spool? Examples: 1st one is toward, 2nd is away from.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts