Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my front breaks are starting to squeak a little when I apply the hand break. My atv is just over a month old and a little over 300 miles and I can't figure out why it would be doing something like this so soon. I just took it in for it’s first service last week. Did they not set something up right? I haven’t abused it or taken it in any mud or water just on dirt and gravel roads for the most part, not even mud puddles in the yard after it rains. I have washed it twice though with the garden hose because it was really dusty. This thing is brand new and it's a Honda why should I be having problems already? Any ideas as to what might be causing the squeaking noise? Would this be something that would be fixed or taken care of under warranty?

All your help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
i have the same problem mine is lil about 8 months old and i only got 300 miles on it and have squeaky front brakes

·
Registered
385 Posts
may be a rok or somethin in them...or maybe the brake pads are doing that but you wouldnt think they would

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
so would a bit of CRC on the rotors help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it into the shop to have them look at it. If something is wrong I don't want to make it worse by ignoring it and hoping it will go away. I just hope whatever it is can be fixed under warranty since it is still so new. Not sure how good they are with stuff like this since it is my first time dealing with them. It's Garbers Honda in Fairbury, Nebraska if anyone else has any experience with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it back from the dealer. They said there was some dust or dirt in the rotors or something like that, don’t remember right now, and that it is just a common problem and it happens. So they took a while to work on it, I guess they just took both front wheels off and cleaned the breaks cuz I noticed that my lug nuts have been removed. All in all it cost me only $10 so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. And the best part no more squeaks.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
so im going to say a shot of CRC on both rotors will take that right out

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that would do the trick. Wish I knew my way around an atv better, prob could of done it myself for a couple bucks. I guess I’m just worried about breaking something.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
nah you wouldnt brake anything just take the wheels of spray the rotor take the brake of and spin it a bit then put will back on you you are good to go

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not very knowledgeable about ATV repair or maintenance since this was my first time buying one of my own. I have been riding for quite a while but it was always a friends so I never got to go through the joys of ownership when things broke or went wrong, not that that I want to it just happens. I just wish these things were as easy to work on as computers are for me. So I’m sure I will have to pop in here a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
we are here to help and dont worry the bike i have is the first we have owned but its my dads when i get a job and a truck im going to get a rincon 680

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Mine make noises sometimes but I just figure its because of rust from not being used much.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Mud gets trapped in the holes in the rotors and along the brake pads. This will wear pads "prematurely." (I think I'm averaging 300-400 miles a set of pads) Make sure after every ride you are in mud or water you wash out behind the wheel real well.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
i usually do must have not gotten good once

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I try to get my breaks washed out good. I think this winter I will take the wheels off and clean them up real good and hope it don't need new padsshoes.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
i got like 350 miles on mine and we dont hit much creeks and not really thick mud

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE ("extrabigjon":2r5y6s6z)
Got it back from the dealer. They said there was some dust or dirt in the rotors or something like that, don’t remember right now, and that it is just a common problem and it happens. So they took a while to work on it, I guess they just took both front wheels off and cleaned the breaks cuz I noticed that my lug nuts have been removed. All in all it cost me only $10 so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. And the best part no more squeaks.
Why did they charge you? Was it not covered by warranty?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
because dust being in the brakes is not there falt nor is it covered by warrenty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was my thought also and besides it was just a few bucks, but the squeek is back again today. I'm not gonna take it in every other day for a cleaning so I'll just live with it or try to stick to paved roads

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE ("JWJR":n99agfum)
because dust being in the brakes is not there falt nor is it covered by warrenty
The brakes on my truck get dusty everyday and don't squeak. Unless, the squeaking is normal vehicle operation, IMO, it should be covered by warranty -- as long as the vehicle has not seen abnormal use. So I ask, is the squeaking normal?

Maybe different pads should be used that don't squeak as bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.