Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my brand 2016 Foreman out for the break in period. Drove is about 17 miles varying my speeds and rpm's throughout the break in. Everything went good. Parked the unit in my garage. When I started it about 6 hours later I thought I heard a backfire. Definitely a semi loud sound. I was standing on the left side of the machine and thought the noise came from the back right side of the machine but the muffler is on the left. I wasn't prepared for the sound so not sure it came from the right side. I have started it a couple times since and seems to start okay with no semi-loud sound.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is not unusual for my 2015 Foreman to backfire when starting if the temperature is in the zero degree F neighborhood. During warmer weather I haven't observed it backfiring at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Ktriebol. Just doesn't seem like this should ever happen unless there is a problem. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I agree that the Honda fuel injection system leaves something to be desired when it comes to starting. It seems that the fuel management holds off from delivering fuel for too long of a time. I don't know what the engineers were thinking when they programmed in such a long delay, but I doubt they will change it because they seem so stubborn when confronted with shortcomings in their product.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Other forums the guys that live in cold climates say they just hit the starter for 3 seconds release them press again and it starts right up. At my dealer yesterday he pulled around a brand new 2017 rubicon for me to test you could here the starter turn over about 6 times before it fired up. My mothers 420 rancher 2010 always starts on the 3rd stroke.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
back fire can also be from poor gas, I hear MORE atv's back fire now on this ethanol fuel we use, than all my yrs prior to it being a fuel!

even my own atv, I tend to ONLY run NON ethanol fuel, but the few times I don't I get back fires, when I am back on NON ethanol, I never get them

I say its partly at least due to the ethanol in the fuel
??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought the ATV and it came with a full tank. I asked the guy and he said it was premium non ethanol. But I'm not sure how long the gas has been in the tank. I wouldn't think they would leave it sitting around full of fuel for a year or more but who knows. I'll call and quiz them tomorrow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My guess would be unburned fuel in the exhaust. If you were out running it hard and then drove it in the garage and shut it off. Or parked in the garage, rev'ed it up a few times and then shut it right off it may leave some unburned fuel in the exhaust. I wonder how quick Honda's fuel management is to changes in rpm, temp, etc. You prob won't find a definitive answer to this unless you can replicate it over and over again to show the dealer. You may never get it to backfire again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
These machines have a internal automatic decompression system. (its an additional cam lobe beside the exhaust lob that lowers compression while cranking, I believe it is oil pressure operated). While cranking it holds the exhaust valve open slightly so it isn't so hard to turn over.

This was installed on the Honda's because when using the pull start option you wouldn't be able to spin it easily without decompression. It also is easier on the starter. It also limits kick-back on the starter.

Because the exhaust valve is held open, sometimes fuel can get in the exhaust header causing a "pop" when starting although rare.

This can also contribute to a longer crank time but will start.

Cheers

Reactions: DaBomb6988

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it’s cold out mine will usually give a little puff out the exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts