Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GF has a 2007 Honda atv, not sure of model.

Front brakes take a few squeezes to get it to engage. Am I right that it likely is air in the lines? Is bleeding the brakes as simple as it is on a car? If the bleed screw is seized, would a propane torch have enough heat to loosen it?

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
How are your bearings? If your bearings wear, the rotor wobbles back and forth, pushing the caliper piston in, and then you have to pump brakes to get the caliper tight against the pad again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are your bearings? If your bearings wear, the rotor wobbles back and forth, pushing the caliper piston in, and then you have to pump brakes to get the caliper tight against the pad again.

Bearings are good. Even if it sites for a week, they still need to be pumped to get them to apply. I moved it a few days ago, and if I go out now, the brake will still need to be pumped.

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
Try zip tying the brake lever back for a day or two. See if it still requires pumping. If so you probably need a new master cylinder. Buy a used OEM one on ebay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try zip tying the brake lever back for a day or two. See if it still requires pumping. If so you probably need a new master cylinder. Buy a used OEM one on ebay.

If after doing that, it needs pumping, why would the master cylinder be the issue?

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
If the zip tie trick works, that means you simply had air in your lines that needed to be bled out. This is most likely the problem. Getting all the air out can be a PITA, and any air in there will give you a spongy lever or require pumping.

If you know there's no air in the system, and you have to pump the brakes., the seals in the master cylinder could be going bad and allowing pressure to back into the cylinder.

99% of the time on these things you just need to properly bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the zip tie trick works, that means you simply had air in your lines that needed to be bled out. This is most likely the problem. Getting all the air out can be a PITA, and any air in there will give you a spongy lever or require pumping.

If you know there's no air in the system, and you have to pump the brakes., the seals in the master cylinder could be going bad and allowing pressure to back into the cylinder.

99% of the time on these things you just need to properly bleed the brakes.

So, Why not just bleed the brakes?

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
So try bleeding the brakes....

Here's what happens when you ziptie the brake lever overnight.....
You compress the brake fluid. Any air trapped in the banjo will be pushed slightly downstream. By leaving the system in this condition overnight the air will move back up into the banjo junction and stop where it was originally. When you cut the ziptie the fluid is then forced back into the reservoir taking the air from the banjo junction with it.

So the zip tie trick is a form of bleeding the brakes. I always try it first if I have a system that hasn't been opened that I know is full of air. If the zip tie trick doesn't work then I tear into the system. As a general rule, I don't open up a brake system until I have to.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So try bleeding the brakes....

Here's what happens when you ziptie the brake lever overnight.....
You compress the brake fluid. Any air trapped in the banjo will be pushed slightly downstream. By leaving the system in this condition overnight the air will move back up into the banjo junction and stop where it was originally. When you cut the ziptie the fluid is then forced back into the reservoir taking the air from the banjo junction with it.

So the zip tie trick is a form of bleeding the brakes. I always try it first if I have a system that hasn't been opened that I know is full of air. If the zip tie trick doesn't work then I tear into the system. As a general rule, I don't open up a brake system until I have to.

Thank you. That now makes sense. How do I know that I got all the air out?

·
Premium Member
6,220 Posts
The lever will be firm and not require pumping. If you have bled your brakes, then zip tied the lever back, and you still don't have a firm handle then the next step would be to replace the master cylinder.

Try putting a pair of vice grips on the brake line, squeezing it closed, and see if your brake lever is firm then. If so, you probably have air in your lines.

Don't go super tight on the vice grips. Just enough to squeeze the line closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts