Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what can make a bike smoke? went riding on saturday and i died out in the water with my tailpipe underwater like 3 inches at an angle so only the back half the exhaust got water in it, was smoking just a little bit for the rest of the day, got home and i changed the oil in the bike today and now the bike is smoking even more than it was yesterday...anyone explain that to me? was thinking whenever i got out of the water maybe some water stayed in the tailpipe and made its way into the engine that way

anyways still needa get a valve adjustment done on my bike so not sure if that has something to do with the smoke or not

·
Registered
74 Posts
what color is the smoke? white could be residual water burning off in the exhaust. blue smoke would be oil. that would be bad take it to a mechanic. black smoke could mean fuel trouble, valve problems or still some water in the carb causing it to burn rich.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
was there water in the oil? i doubt that it is water laying in the muffler because it would of just dried up. a person i ride with did the same thing to his rancher, he had to put new rings in his because water got in his motor. the color of the smoke does mean different stuff though like jay said, see what the smoke is and check back. if i had to take a gess i would gess that the rings are bad.
-Aaron

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its white smoke most of the time if i recall correctly, when i picked up the oil i didnt think to grab some marvel mystery to get the water out, and i also didnt have a new oil filter cuz the honda shop was closed today, so i will prob go get some marvel mystery and add some of that and drain it all again and then see what it looks like...when i get time to drop my bike off at the honda shop to get a tune up or valve adjustment

thanks for the input, hope its nothing major

how much would rings cost for a 06 foreman if it was that? like $50

·
Registered
89 Posts
my like has started smoking recently, it only does it on start up though, once the bike is warm it stops smoking, i assume it is probably just valve seals so i will be replacing them next weekened, but if it is white smoke then it is just moisture in the system.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its mainly white smoke, everynow and then i see a little bit of blue smoke, no black smoke ever though, ima flush the oil out again on it and see if that helps it out any...but it actually started smoking more after i changed the from the stuff that had the water in it to the new stuff, might have gotten all the oil out and no water and now it is more in the system or something......gonna have to get some marvel mystery to get the water out and get a new oil filter for it cuz i didnt change the filter cuz honda was closed for the day already...ill keep yall posted

·
Registered
108 Posts
My cousin has that same problem with his 2wd Rancher.My dad's an mechanic so he said that"When oil doesn't feed to the cylinder,they have rings on the inside that get worn out.And it scratches the cilinder tube because there is no oil to lubricate it."

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
if you are thinking its the rings i wouldnt ride it too much so you dont put big grooves in the cylinder. this isnt a bad job at all, it takes time but it is realy simple to do. if you have the tools and a place to work i would do it your self so save on shop fees.
-Aaron

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone ever used seafoam on there 4wheeler engine, ive used it on my truck once or twice now and it does wonders, was wondering if it would do the same thing to a 4wheeler engine, the seafoam causes it to smoke a ton really white smoke, once it stops smoking that means the seafoam is all out of the system

HERE IS A LINK TO 2 DIFFERENT PRODUCTS OF THERES...

<a href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm" target="_blank">http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm</a>

<a href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreepTech.htm" target="_blank">http://www.seafoamsales.com/deepCreepTech.htm</a>

let me know if yall think that would maybe work

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mainly white, you can barely see the smoke when its idling, but when u rev it half throttle the white starts coming out, and when u hit full throttle and release it will like 1 out of every 5 times it will have a blueish tint to the white smoke

·
Registered
305 Posts
Was it clean water you were in when it died or muddy water? The only way to know for sure if you rings are bad without taking it apart is to get a compression tester. Test the compression once then put a little oil in the cylinder and test it again if your compression goes up a lot with oil in the cylinder your rings are shot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how much does a compression tester cost? i cranked it up today and it doesnt have as much smoke coming out when it idles, or at least i dont notice it at all, when i go half throttle u can see a little bit and then when i full throttle it you can see it plain as day on a tuesday and its alot more...im thinking it is still just water in the oil, cuz i didnt put a new filter in cuz the honda shop was closed and i didnt have an extra one with me, im guessing water is still in it and ima change it again on friday and ill probably put a little seafoam in the gas tank and put some in the oil to help that out and then run it a lil bit and then change it again and put all new stuff in it

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
NM

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how do u connect that up to the bike to check the compression? im more electricly inclined with things, wiring things up and whatnot, i am not a tard with motor things but just not the brightest and have alot to learn from you guys...and after i check it the first time i open what up and put oil into the cylinder? might explain in the next post what to do once the covers and all are taken off, once the covers are off ima guess u take something out and plug that tester hose into the motor somewhere and do u try cranking it with the start button or do u have to pull on the pull start...then u get that number and then u take something else off and put some oil in the top of the motor somewheres and let it get down to the piston then test it again and see what the results are...thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
take the plug out and put the hose in there and get the first reading. then pull it out and put alittle oil in then put the hose back in and get the second reading. if the second reading is higher than the first then you need a ring job. if it is the same your problem is else where. and i would use the recoil started.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
super thanks, i will have to try that when i get home

also when u say put a little oil in it before i check it the second time, how much oil is a little bit

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.