Honda Foreman Forums banner

beware cleaning machines nasty plants

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  BrapMan629 
#1 ·
Rode in Kings River , Alaska 10/24/15 a great place , went in some muck got stuck still had fun. Cleaning my machine I made the mistake of not wearing gloves . Devils Club got me with thorns on 4 fingers and both palms hives and blistering . Think thats bad , touched some Pushki (Giant Hogweed) too that was rotten on the floorboards of my backup which a friend rode. Didn't know it and touched my face and neck . 3 days later in the sunshine , got burned on forehead ,ears ,my neck really bad oh it hurt for a week.:crying:pushki sap is activated by sunlight and burns your skin. Any how just remember swamps have some nasty stuff rotting in them and its just all brown.

#2 ·
Dang I thought the poison ivy and sumac were bad around here. That stuff sounds harsh.

#3 ·
It's called 'Devil's Club' for a reason .... it grows to about 8' tall here. I've watched Roosevelt elk bed down in the stuff. My buddy cuts it into 4" lengths, lets it dry, and sells it for good $$ to a natural medicine store here.

#4 ·
We have smaller hogweed here and man it doesn't half blister you up

Serious cases can cause blood poisoning

hope all is ok though : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
blisters were from the devils club on my fingers ,

#6 ·
devils club is nasty crap, grows thick too

I also highly suggest when cleaning things you watch out for other things too like spiders and even these dam caterpillars
seems MY area the last 10+ yrs or so, they are every where any more, and most of my life never seen one??
I made the mistake of picking one up one day as they looked harmless enough as one landed on me while riding, and picked it off my shoulder as it was climbing up my bare arm
picked it up to throw it aside
NO gloves on
and holy CRAP the rash and pain it gave me
its dam hairs break off and cause a painful reaction,
and like a dummy, I tired for a week to suck it up
which only seemed to make things worse LOL
ended up at the DR's getting some steroid shots and some crap to put on and still took a week to get rid of, and it itched and burned at the same time , NO dam fun at all

so watch out for these pretty suckers
there in a LOT of states now, NOT just PA too!

DON?T TOUCH! Dangerous caterpillar found in Pennsylvania | WPMT FOX43

#7 ·
#8 ·
i step on those white little nasty caterpillars whenever i see one, theyre an invasive anyway as far as i know, as far as hogweed goes we ran through rode through and handled it when making trails as kids and i never had a reaction :confused, when i first learned what hogweed was i thought my teacher was nuts calling it bad

#9 ·
I have been bit 6 times this year by black widows (3 times in one day on the same hand ) all hiding under the plastics on Honda atvs between the tank and tank cover ....I hate spiders and I am glad that the BW venom doesn't mess me up too bad

#10 ·
**** Rich. I HATE spiders, but haven't ever been bitten by a poisonous one. That sucks.

#11 ·
A friend spent 9 months hospitalized , his leg nerves are still half dead 15 years later from a brown recluse. working on a car , his lost everything he owned plus his business.
My other friend died last month from a cut working on his car , got infected , got sepsis in a week , had heart attack from it died age 48. Infected cuts are no joke , I saw infection streaking on my arm went to ER , I had to get IV antibiotics (1 day of them ) from cut infected with fish slime, guy I was fishing with his got so bad he got IV pump antibiotics for a week and a half. He thought home cures would work, they don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.