Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode in Kings River , Alaska 10/24/15 a great place , went in some muck got stuck still had fun. Cleaning my machine I made the mistake of not wearing gloves . Devils Club got me with thorns on 4 fingers and both palms hives and blistering . Think thats bad , touched some Pushki (Giant Hogweed) too that was rotten on the floorboards of my backup which a friend rode. Didn't know it and touched my face and neck . 3 days later in the sunshine , got burned on forehead ,ears ,my neck really bad oh it hurt for a week.:crying:pushki sap is activated by sunlight and burns your skin. Any how just remember swamps have some nasty stuff rotting in them and its just all brown.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Dang I thought the poison ivy and sumac were bad around here. That stuff sounds harsh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
It's called 'Devil's Club' for a reason .... it grows to about 8' tall here. I've watched Roosevelt elk bed down in the stuff. My buddy cuts it into 4" lengths, lets it dry, and sells it for good $$ to a natural medicine store here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
We have smaller hogweed here and man it doesn't half blister you up

Serious cases can cause blood poisoning

hope all is ok though : )


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blisters were from the devils club on my fingers ,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
devils club is nasty crap, grows thick too

I also highly suggest when cleaning things you watch out for other things too like spiders and even these dam caterpillars
seems MY area the last 10+ yrs or so, they are every where any more, and most of my life never seen one??
I made the mistake of picking one up one day as they looked harmless enough as one landed on me while riding, and picked it off my shoulder as it was climbing up my bare arm
picked it up to throw it aside
NO gloves on
and holy CRAP the rash and pain it gave me
its dam hairs break off and cause a painful reaction,
and like a dummy, I tired for a week to suck it up
which only seemed to make things worse LOL
ended up at the DR's getting some steroid shots and some crap to put on and still took a week to get rid of, and it itched and burned at the same time , NO dam fun at all

so watch out for these pretty suckers
there in a LOT of states now, NOT just PA too!



DON?T TOUCH! Dangerous caterpillar found in Pennsylvania | WPMT FOX43
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
i step on those white little nasty caterpillars whenever i see one, theyre an invasive anyway as far as i know, as far as hogweed goes we ran through rode through and handled it when making trails as kids and i never had a reaction :confused, when i first learned what hogweed was i thought my teacher was nuts calling it bad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,868 Posts
I have been bit 6 times this year by black widows (3 times in one day on the same hand ) all hiding under the plastics on Honda atvs between the tank and tank cover ....I hate spiders and I am glad that the BW venom doesn't mess me up too bad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
I have been bit 6 times this year by black widows (3 times in one day on the same hand ) all hiding under the plastics on Honda atvs between the tank and tank cover ....I hate spiders and I am glad that the BW venom doesn't mess me up too bad
**** Rich. I HATE spiders, but haven't ever been bitten by a poisonous one. That sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend spent 9 months hospitalized , his leg nerves are still half dead 15 years later from a brown recluse. working on a car , his lost everything he owned plus his business.
My other friend died last month from a cut working on his car , got infected , got sepsis in a week , had heart attack from it died age 48. Infected cuts are no joke , I saw infection streaking on my arm went to ER , I had to get IV antibiotics (1 day of them ) from cut infected with fish slime, guy I was fishing with his got so bad he got IV pump antibiotics for a week and a half. He thought home cures would work, they don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
A friend spent 9 months hospitalized , his leg nerves are still half dead 15 years later from a brown recluse. working on a car .

Brown recluse are nasty little buggers. I had several friends that have chunks of meat removed or scars from the resulting infection. For such a little spider packs a mean bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,417 Posts
Brown recluse are nasty little buggers. I had several friends that have chunks of meat removed or scars from the resulting infection. For such a little spider packs a mean bite.
yes them brown recluse spiders are also found almost every where, they can take the bitter cold of AK and hot heat of the SUN I think
they can kill you if left un treated too
NASTY a$$ spider, and they don't even look that mean LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
yes them brown recluse spiders are also found almost every where, they can take the bitter cold of AK and hot heat of the SUN I think
they can kill you if left un treated too
NASTY a$$ spider, and they don't even look that mean LOL
I got an attic full of them. Find their shedded skins everywhere.

Wife freaks out and wants to know how to keep them out of the house. Dang women just don't understand that mice and spiders can get into a house if they want to. No way to make anything totally airtight.

Supposedly the best way to control the recluse is the little furry jumping spiders. Apparently they eat the **** out of brown recluses, so when I see a little furry guy, I catch them and let them go in the attic.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1189928
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Supposedly the best way to control the recluse is the little furry jumping spiders. Apparently they eat the **** out of brown recluses
Fighting fire with fire!

I do a lot of night riding and have had to leave my wheeler outside on more than one occasion due to being covered in little critters I didn't want in my garage (which is attached to my house).
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top