Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share a little tire adventure we had last weekend. After busting our humps working for the last three years starting a small construction company my two partners and myself rewarded ourselfs by each buying a new quad,we went with TRX 350fm's,we equiped them all with winches,and were standing with the dealer bantering about wich tires to buy when he suggested we try three diferent types,and being we bought the three bikes thru him,and if we bought the tires thru him,he would let us return any of the tires for our choice.

So after bumming around our various yards for a couple of weeks we decided to try them out a little more scientifically.we went into the recently thawed foothills for a two day ride,and tried some comparitive type competitions

The tires we were comparing were the bearclaws,the mudlites and the gators,for the most part we ran 25"x10" rears and 25"x8" fronts,there was one size alteration due to availability on the gators but sittin here I dont remember it,but it was as close as possible to the others,and not that it matters,but we all ran itp type 5 wheels.

our first comparison was a bottomless mud hole in a swampy area,and to our surprize the only on to get stuck repeatedly was the gators,they seemed to want to chew down while the others floated over the top,we all agreed it would have been diferent if there would have been a bottom for the gators to chew down to.

this was the same time we realized a warn 2.5 is not powerfull enough to pull out a very stuck quad,but with an additional quad nosed up to a stout tree we got it out,though barely.

the next obstacle rose rather unanounced,it was a tree stump about 8" high that the bearclaw equiped bike had its very flimsy tin skid plate bent on and the other bikes cleared easily,the 25" bearclaws are barely if at all taller than the stock dirt hooks.

the next test was the most decisive of any,at was a long very steep hill of hardpacked clay/dirt with small sharp rocks jutting out,and just a skiff of loose material on the surface by far the bearclaws had better traction here,to the point were it was the only bike with any rider that could make it to the top in first gear,the mudlites spun out about 100' from the top ever time in first gear,but made it comfortably in 2nd gear with some wheel speed,and the gators only ever made it once with very agressive riding starting in 3rd,then jambing into 2nd and spinning wildly to the top,we tried verious air pressures in all the tires,and tried all the drivers on all three bikes,our conclusion was that the softer the tire the better they did on hard ground,the gators dont flex hardly at all at any air pressure,while the others do to some extent,allowing the tire to follow the ground.

we spent by far the longest "playing" on the big hill,trying diferent techniques etc,but some other observations were that the mudlites and bearclaws side hilled very well,but the gators did not.

interesting enough at the end of the trip we all decided to stay with the tire we all started off with except the owners of the mudlites and gators traded complete wheels,and the owner of the bearclaws would like to go to 26" just to get to a true 25".

obviously this wasnt very scientific,nor was it intended to be,but it was fun and it changed our impression of the apearance vs performance of a few tires anyway.just thought I would share it with you folks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am really glad to read this. I have a 350 I am trying to figure out which tire to go with so I apreciated your review. I am wondering if you tried to ride in the yard and if so how it went I ride around a field with mine to take my lil girl and am looking for one to dig when I need it and not rip up the mans field when I dont. Well guess at this point looking at bearclaws or maybe mudbugs. cant decide 25 or 26

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we didnt actually compare how much each tire does or dosnt rip up the yard,but I can say that my sons 1989 300 certainly rips up the yard,and his machine has bearclaws,I think its the fact that bearclaws lugs are quite skinny allowing it to cut in a little deaper vs other tires with thick lugs.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Very interesting. So in your opinion, which one was the best all around tire
for trail ridin', muddin', etc.....?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had 22x10x12 gators on my girlfriends old recon and it pulled pretty good through the mud and she never complained about the ride when we would hit the trail

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I was wonderin' because i was thinkin' about replacin' the Mud Lites with
Gators when they wear out. So in your opinion, Gators are a no go??

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you are looking for something that wount rip the yard up i personally wouldnt go with the mud bugs because i had them on a 05 rancher 350 that i sold but they do pull very well in the mud

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm going to go with the mudlite xl's. I'm going to do as much trail as mud riding so I think its get best choice for me. Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
That's what i wanted to hear about the Gators. How deep are the lugs on
the 27's?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
How deep on 25's? I'm keeping an open mind .

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Thanks BigChief. It will still be a while before i order some. Still need to wear
the Mudlites down some more. That is a great price that's for sure.

·
Registered
472 Posts
the people who own that site are really nice if you happen to have problems, like umm fed ex sending your rear tires to georgia and you live in kentucky hahaha, thought they had lost em so they were gonna overnight me another set, oh yea you'd be proud i actually washed my bike now i dont wanna do anything cause its so purdy , and george strait is my hero

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I hope them prices are like that when i decide to order mine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
pic of mine with the gators on

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to this site but am glad to see a site dedicated to the foreman rider. Thank you
I've had Bearclaws in the stock sizes for 1 year and found them to be a great general purpose trail tire.
I've since changed to the 27" Gators and Wow, What a difference. They pull better up steep snotty hills especially when ther are tree roots going across the trail. Those deeper lugs really grip the roots and get you up to the top when I know on the same hill I would spin with the Bearclaws.
In the mud...no comparison.They dig, chew, chuck, and propel you through the goop. Yes, there are bigger and better tires out there, but I'm completely satisfied with my upgrade to the Gators

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've been tellin yall this all along

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.