Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been addressed some place else but I haven’t been able to resolve.
I went on a quick 30 min ride last night and bout halfway in started getting hard to see. My lights were dimming. Last weekend we rode and stopped for a break and i had to use pull start so i put charger on trickle for 24hrs. I ride every day to feed and so i gess the battery drained this week for this to happen. So last night i put charger back on and today I disconnected battery and had 13.1v then about an hr later had 13v. Battery is 3-4 yrs old. Yall think its the battery not holding up or do I possibly have a charging issue? What exactly charges the battery? I always thought the electronics on the atv ran off the stator or something else while engine runs instead of the battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check the voltage of the battery on the ATV, then start ATV and see what voltage of the battery is with throttle about halfway open, it should increase and be around 14.5 volts or so and not over 15 volts
If the voltage stays the same as when it was off, drops, or goes over 15 volts your voltage regulator is bad
My guess is that you voltage regulator is not charging your battery

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the voltage of the battery on the ATV, then start ATV and see what voltage of the battery is with throttle about halfway open, it should increase and be around 14.5 volts or so and not over 15 volts
If the voltage stays the same as when it was off, drops, or goes over 15 volts your voltage regulator is bad
My guess is that you voltage regulator is not charging your battery
I installed the battery and had 12.9. I started engine it dropped to 12.7. Half throttle no change. Engine running, i turn on lights it dropped to 12.2 and back up to 12.7 when i turn lights off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would say from the voltages you have bad voltage regulator
Its quick to swap them out
Buy a new Honda one or find a good used OEM Regulator on on ebay or similar and dont use the Cheap China garbage
You might want to check stator output as per the service manual as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say from the voltages you have bad voltage regulator
Its quick to swap them out
Buy a new Honda one or find a good used OEM Regulator on on ebay or similar and dont use the Cheap China garbage
You might want to check stator output as per the service manual as well
I went ahead and ordered a regulator. I dont have the manual for this atv. What is the process?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Come on over to www.atvhonda.com and join us there
its free to join and all the Honda experts pretty much moved over there and kind of left these forums
due to spam and mismanagement
You can download a manual for free there and you will get MUCH better and timely help there, versus here
I only come over here once in awhile to check in
Tell em AKATV sent you, lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts