Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I have changed nothing electrically on my ATV. This just happened out of the blue.

A couple weeks ago I used my ATV for yard work all day. Worked fine. Went to use it the next day and the dash just indicated -- for the gear and it wouldn't start. I didn't have the manual shifter (now I have one) and couldn't get it into a gear using a wrench, so I thought the battery was just too low. Hooked up a charger. When I reconnected the battery I smelled, and saw, smoke from under the battery somewhere (not directly under the battery...basically it wafted up from under the rear wheel well). Immediately disconnected the battery and left it disconnected so it wouldn't burn my garage down. Went back a couple days later, hooked the battery up and didn't smell or see smoke so I left it connected.

I went to use it yesterday and the battery was completely dead. Nothing on the dash. I put the charger on Start, started it and used it off and on over the afternoon (initially I could only shift manually until the battery took some more charge), hooking it up to the charger in between uses. After a while I was able to start it and shift electronically. if it matters, i only pull start my atv (starter has just been clicking for years...tired of replacing starters).

When I originally had the problem I noticed a spark that seemed more than normal when I connected the battery. Looked online and lots of people say that's normal because there's always a small draw even when the atv is off.

When I hooked up the charger yesterday I noticed what seemed to me like a larger than normal spark. I kept it on the charger all night and haven't yet checked it today. My intent is to see if it charged, then keep it off the charger to see if it holds a charge. I suspect it will not.

I'm guessing the original smoke was from a short, which is possibly drawing current all the time and draining the battery? Is the large spark an indication of that? if so, how do I possibly find the short...or if that's not the problem any ideas? This is a pretty old battery.

My charger does not have an on/off switch. Once I plug it in it's hot. I say that because I have read that maybe the charger is bad and shorting the battery. So maybe the battery is actually toast...although it did seem to charge yesterday. And I did always connect the battery correctly (+ and -), so that's not the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Need to get this thing working soon because I head up the deer shack in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
well first off, I have NEVER had a battery spark when hooking it up, that's NOT normal, so there shouldn;t be ANY spark when hooking up a battery
actually if your having some, your at risk of a battery exploding, seen them do it and its NEVER pretty or safe!

so, ?? some how your making contact with things to ground something to get an arc!, not bashing here just saying, a battery will NOT spark on its own ina normal install and correct working system!

NEXT< to rule out battery pull and have load tested!
odds are its GONE< all the more so if you have a short, which it most likely seems like to me

MY guess is insulation has worn off and is touching metal, and or a mouse maybe chewed on some wires
you need to back track wires from batter till you find it
would also suggest checking all your fuses!

arching wires and short's can lead to fires as you know!

SO, I would NOT be leaving the battery connected till you find your problem!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've jarred my memory. The initial problem when the dash showed -- for the gear was actually a blown fuse. Found that resolution online. I highly doubt its a mouse problem since it literally happened overnight. Possible, but doesn't seem probable.

So, the steps leading up to the problem were:
1. -- on dash
2. disconnect battery and charge. No change to dash.
3. Replace fuse.
4. Hook up battery...smoke...leave battery disconnected.
5. Hook up next day with no problems (hoping problem magically fixed itself overnight..ha ha).
6. Used yesterday with dead battery. i did not disconnected the battery yesterday. The somewhat larger spark happens when I hook up the charger (although i can go test if it happens when I disconnect/connect the battery).

I'm going out to garage now to check on battery. If I get a chance today I'll try to trace the battery cable backwards. It is possible that a wire somewhere wore the insulation off. I'm leary to just throw another battery on it before I find out if there's another issue (which the blown fuse seems to point to...although the fuse hasn't blown since the initial problem with the -- on dash).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you have a multi meter? With everything off, disconnect the negative battery cable and take an amp meter reading between the negative cable, and the negative battery post.

A few milliamperes would be expected, but start in the high amp range as I suspect you have high key off draw.

Typically the + side of the ignition switch, and the voltage regulator are connected to the battery, but check the diagram for your machine. If that is the case, and you have high key off drain, try disconnecting the voltage regulator and retest.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It can be normal to see a small spark if there's any residual memory being kept. Could be a digital dash, clock, stereo, computer, etc.

However, if the magic smoke is escaping from the wiring, there's a definite problem with that. I wonder if Lucas (prince of darkness) still sells replacement smoke? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It can be normal to see a small spark if there's any residual memory being kept. Could be a digital dash, clock, stereo, computer, etc.

However, if the magic smoke is escaping from the wiring, there's a definite problem with that. I wonder if Lucas (prince of darkness) still sells replacement smoke? :)
They sure do.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I still say sparking when hooking up a battery is NOT normal and something is causing it
a normal battery install removal should NOT have sparks,
its asking for a larger problem(like a battery exploding)
you MIGHT have a short that is grounding things out and when your removing/installing your causing things to make contact
this again is NOT normal !

a mouse can certainly chew thru a wire over night, its how it happens, they don't just nibble a little today then tomorrow and sop on, and even if they did, it can go from good to bad JUST LIKE THAT over night, 10 minutes later or?? what ever time frame you wish, it happens when it happens!

if you have a electrical short, it can cause a FIRE to, so I'd be unhooking battery while its parked to be on the safe side till you find the issue!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I still say sparking when hooking up a battery is NOT normal and something is causing it
a normal battery install removal should NOT have sparks,
its asking for a larger problem(like a battery exploding)
you MIGHT have a short that is grounding things out and when your removing/installing your causing things to make contact
this again is NOT normal !

a mouse can certainly chew thru a wire over night, its how it happens, they don't just nibble a little today then tomorrow and sop on, and even if they did, it can go from good to bad JUST LIKE THAT over night, 10 minutes later or?? what ever time frame you wish, it happens when it happens!

if you have a electrical short, it can cause a FIRE to, so I'd be unhooking battery while its parked to be on the safe side till you find the issue!

Try it on your car, in the dark.

I'm not saying it doesn't have an electrical problem. !

edit- I haven't had to change the battery on the newer ATVs yet, but I get a spark on my street bike when I connect the battery, and it has no devices with memory or even a radio or clock. It can sit for a year without draining the battery and it has no electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
A lot of these old 450s would melt the plug on the regulator when it went bad. I would inspect that closely.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
ANY modern vehicle, be it a ATV< motorcycle that had electronics that require power when when PARKED , it will draw power from the battery, as time passes and you DON"T replace it(tender, charge it or RUN system to get back to full charge
it will be a SLOW drain on battery
this is a FACT< and science in action, you can say all you like, but facts are facts!

·
Registered
382 Posts
ANY modern vehicle, be it a ATV< motorcycle that had electronics that require power when when PARKED , it will draw power from the battery, as time passes and you DON"T replace it(tender, charge it or RUN system to get back to full charge
it will be a SLOW drain on battery
this is a FACT< and science in action, you can say all you like, but facts are facts!

Looks like you just want to argue. Nobody ever said anything about this subject, and I doubt anyone will dispute your FACTS.

FACT is, a spark when you connect the battery can be normal, especially with electronics involved.

FACTS are FACTS !!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Looks like you just want to argue. Nobody ever said anything about this subject, and I doubt anyone will dispute your FACTS.

FACT is, a spark when you connect the battery can be normal, especially with electronics involved.

FACTS are FACTS !!
well seems you want a debate as well or argue?

previous post stated, that his Motorcycle can sit for over a yr and not need a charge
so I added this info

sorry if info offends you?

and at install of a battery
Sparks aren't normal unless you have a draw on the system, this is also a FACT!

·
Registered
382 Posts
well seems you want a debate as well or argue?

previous post stated, that his Motorcycle can sit for over a yr and not need a charge
so I added this info

sorry if info offends you?

and at install of a battery
Sparks aren't normal unless you have a draw on the system, this is also a FACT!

When you use all those caps, symbols, and exclamation points in statements directed at me, it sure looks like you're ranting at me. Such as "... you can say all you like, but facts are facts! "

Even the OP said, .. "When I originally had the problem I noticed a spark that seemed more than normal when I connected the battery."

Obviously when there's any spark, there's a draw, but it's not always abnormal as you asserted.

I stand by original statement - "It can be normal to see a small spark if there's any residual memory being kept. Could be a digital dash, clock, stereo, computer, etc."

The above was in response to your declaration - "well first off, I have NEVER had a battery spark when hooking it up, that's NOT normal, so there shouldn;t be ANY spark when hooking up a battery". Which is incorrect, it can be normal.

That was my motorcycle that can sit for a year with no charging, even though I get a small spark when connecting the battery.

Info does not offend me, that's how I learn. However, incorrect info needs correction.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
When you use all those caps, symbols, and exclamation points in statements directed at me, it sure looks like you're ranting at me. Such as "... you can say all you like, but facts are facts! "

Even the OP said, .. "When I originally had the problem I noticed a spark that seemed more than normal when I connected the battery."

Obviously when there's any spark, there's a draw, but it's not always abnormal as you asserted.

I stand by original statement - "It can be normal to see a small spark if there's any residual memory being kept. Could be a digital dash, clock, stereo, computer, etc."

The above was in response to your declaration - "well first off, I have NEVER had a battery spark when hooking it up, that's NOT normal, so there shouldn;t be ANY spark when hooking up a battery". Which is incorrect, it can be normal.

That was my motorcycle that can sit for a year with no charging, even though I get a small spark when connecting the battery.

Info does not offend me, that's how I learn. However, incorrect info needs correction.
well again, you seem to want keep this going!
and I stand by my words, hooking up a battery it should NOT spark
normal draws are NOT going to cause sparks

for it to spark, there is a draw that is NOT normal! at time of installing battery!

if you are so sure about sparks being normal, please show where it states that?
as ALL I have every read and known about battery's is the above
I cannot find any thing any where that says its NORMAL for sparks to happen when ALL is correct!
feel free to SHOW me I am wrong!
40+ yrs of hooking up battery's here on all sorts of things, from snowmobiles, atv's motorcyles, cars trucks, tractors, lawn mowers, boats, jet skis, heavy equipment
guess everything I hooked up was just different than what you have> and all the folks I know seem to have learned other wise as well?

again, show me where it states sparks are normal when installing a battery!
NO service manual or owners manual I know of will state so on a properly working system!
THE OP has issue
s and this is why I wrote all I did,
he has a issue, and odds are its a short some where
and leaving battery hooked up can be a possible fire waiting to happen or worse!

the more info he gets MAYBE the better off he will be!

·
Registered
382 Posts
You said it was never normal to see a spark, and that is incorrect. Again, your quote - "well first off, I have NEVER had a battery spark when hooking it up, that's NOT normal, so there shouldn;t be ANY spark when hooking up a battery".

I'm not aware of any handbook on battery sparks. Maybe you just haven't paying attention while installing 40 years worth of batteries. Obviously you believe your experience is superior to mine, obviously you are incorrect, again. I've seen sparks many times, and there was never anything wrong with the electrical systems, except in a couple of cases.

I'm not the one keeping this going, I'm simply responding to your rants directed at me.

You are free to believe and post anything you want, but don't expect bad information to go unchallenged.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You said it was never normal to see a spark, and that is incorrect. Again, your quote - "well first off, I have NEVER had a battery spark when hooking it up, that's NOT normal, so there shouldn;t be ANY spark when hooking up a battery".

I'm not aware of any handbook on battery sparks. Maybe you just haven't paying attention while installing 40 years worth of batteries. Obviously you believe your experience is superior to mine, obviously you are incorrect, again. I've seen sparks many times, and there was never anything wrong with the electrical systems, except in a couple of cases.

I'm not the one keeping this going, I'm simply responding to your rants directed at me.

You are free to believe and post anything you want, but don't expect bad information to go unchallenged.
where is the bad information???

SHOW me where any installation or manual says, SOME SPARKS are NORMAL when installing a battery!
I doubt you will find any, and the reason is, there NOT normal!
not bad info
I AM < I am asking you to prove me wrong, since you keep saying I am??
where is the proof ??

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Right here, from post #2.

Read post #5.
post # 5 IS YOUR OPINION, and nothing from any battery installation manual or any service manual
which STATES SOME sparks are NORMAL DURING A BATTERY INSTALL!
as odds again you WON"T find any, and do you know why??

SO again, where is this proof??
that proves my info is WRONG!

your opinion is your opinion

I stated if there is a draw on battery it can spark ? but normal set up there is NOT going to be any sparks!
systems are designed to NOT have them from a clock or??
and OEM"s design there systems to NOT have sparks, due to safety and liability reasons!
sparks can ignite things from fumes to causing the battery itself explode!

so, where is MY bad info?
your still not adding anything to show I am wrong!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts