Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdo guys. What's your thoughts on bty chargers/conditioners? I've recently installed a new very good quality bty in a trx450es I've been refurbishing & now that the project has been completed I'm very aware that saddle time is going to be extremely limited. I'm thinking a monthly several hour trickle charge ought to maintain a decent bty health for the foreseeable future, but what charging devices are recognised as suitable & is it the case that certain car bty chargers are not to be used? The battery I purchased was an acid fill not a gel type. Many thanks.
Chalkster

·
Registered
382 Posts
A float charger should do. Right now I'm using the $20 one from Harbor Freight, comes with a battery lead and a lead with alligator clamps.

I'm a firm believer in AGM type batteries over wet cells.

According to the Battery University website, 12v power packs for cordless phone chargers, etc., are supposed to be best for charging. Something about the sine waves, I think, would need to read it all again. I was using a cordless phone charger until it died.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

My first AGM battery is going on 6 years old and still carries close to 13v, even sitting for months with no charging.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Car chargers can used.. IF, the amps can be set low enough. Not more than 1.5 to 2 amps.

Charging with higher amps on these smaller batteries is not good at all, even for short periods.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
just a heads up folks,. I have used tenders off and on along time, and till this past yr never had a problem
BUT this past summer I had a tender on a skid steer, parked for a few weeks, when to use it and found a major mess of problems, tender WAY over charged battery, and??
then tender died
so far I have spent a few hundred bucks replacing things that got fried on the skid steer and its still down
and as many THINK< were doing ourselves a favor having a tender on them, when , for me, I could have bought a new battery every yr for a few yrs with what this tender going bad is costing me and tender was about a yr old and Brand name maker tender not a cheap made one
I bought 3 at same time and a second one when tested was also over charging things(15+ volts) so have stopped using the third one ~

contacted maker, was very helpful at first contact,as was still under warranty, and then when I told them the costs I am having, from it over charging things, they stopped taking calls from me and will NOT return a email either!
was a schumacher battery tender , if anyone cares to know the brand name here,
very disappointed in them to say the least, and find it rather rude to NOT return a call or email, after they said they would be getting back to me, first contact went nice, and then they just like refused to talk to me since and I never was mad or rude with them at all!
they even offered to send me a free tender, after I was to tell them what all was wrong, and been 6+ weeks now and not a return call even though I left several messages at a number and extension they gave me to call them back at! to report my damages!
bunch of BS I guess from them and won't be buying any more of there products!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blimey!! What an horrendous thing to happen. Very sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing that experience (with all of us) Hope you make progress with it soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car chargers can used.. IF, the amps can be set low enough. Not more than 1.5 to 2 amps.

Charging with higher amps on these smaller batteries is not good at all, even for short periods.
Thanks for your input mate. I was suspecting the overall reduced size of these batteries would be relevant to using a small car charger due to Amps.
Chalkster

·
Registered
347 Posts
FWIW my ATV is stored outside under a cover and I use a Harbor Freight 1.5W solar charger. It is so under powered it won't overcharge the battery, is cheap and has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years....

Darrell

·
Registered
382 Posts
You're welcome Chalkymon.

FWIW my ATV is stored outside under a cover and I use a Harbor Freight 1.5W solar charger. It is so under powered it won't overcharge the battery, is cheap and has worked flawlessly for the last 4 years....

Darrell

I know a couple of riders using the same charger, and with the same results. Thinking I read those work like a float charger, cutting off at a certain voltage.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i would use an automatic charger that shuts off with full charge, usually one with 2 or less amps are good for atv size battery. chrome battery sells a great gel battery, i have one in my ruby and Rincon oldest is a little over 2 years old and my atv's sit for long periods of time and they still hold good charges. i paid like $42 each, a great price for a gel battery. https://www.chromebattery.com/

i have one of their batteries in my Arctic Cat snowmobile that has not been out of the barn for 6 years and it still spins it over like new. I put a 2 amp automatic charger on it during the winter and it sits all the rest of the year without being charged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would use an automatic charger that shuts off with full charge, usually one with 2 or less amps are good for atv size battery. chrome battery sells a great gel battery, i have one in my ruby and Rincon oldest is a little over 2 years old and my atv's sit for long periods of time and they still hold good charges. i paid like $42 each, a great price for a gel battery. https://www.chromebattery.com/

i have one of their batteries in my Arctic Cat snowmobile that has not been out of the barn for 6 years and it still spins it over like new. I put a 2 amp automatic charger on it during the winter and it sits all the rest of the year without being charged.
Cheers Harig. Sounds like you've had a great result, especially having a static vehicle for six years? I think I'll have a look online tonight & see what's available. Many thanks.

Chalkster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts