Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can really use some help with this. My Battery doesn't hold a charge, but here is my issue. The battery is about 5 weeks old. If I charge it, it goes to 14.6 volts and then kicks into trickle mode, I have a 2/6/10 smart charger and use at 2 amps. The battery will hold the charge for several rides, but if I use the lights, winch it goes quickly. I did a charging test thru the charger and it came back that it was not working correctly. Next I got a copy of the procedure for checking the components from honda, I did all the tests and found one small grounding issue, after fixing that issue I did all tests again and everything was good. I retried the chargers test and it still said it wasn't good. I tested the charging based on a volt meter and heres what it says.

Battery normal - 12.3v
engine @ idle - 12.87v
engine @ 1/2 throttle - 12.35v
idle w/lites on - 12.54v
idle w/winch - 12.45v
idle w/lites & winch - 12.3v

I'm not sure why it doesnt increase with the engine speed increase, actually goes lower. But I figured it was still above what I needed so it was okay. Wrong. Battery still dies after 3-4 riding days.

When I do a battery test during the slow charging it charges all the way then it says that there is a problem with the battery.

I'm thinking that the battery is no good? But I'm also concerned that the charging system is not working properly? I really dont want to go buy another new battery and that wasn't it.

This is starting to annoy me so any help would be great, I'll take educated guesses at this point. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Mine did the same thing in approx. the same time frame. Batterey wasn't properly charged from the dealer. Take it back and Honda should have no problem giving you a new battery. They took care of me, no questions asked.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I'm thinking is that they quick charged the battery and screwed it up. My machine is an 04' but the battery is only 5 weeks old. anyway I read that if you incorrectly charge the battery the first time then its toast. I just wasnt sure since I didn't charge it. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.