Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 453 es that rather suddenly stopped being able to move but first some context, so up here in Canada we had a big snowstorm and I had the bike out in it and everything was fine for the first while, but then I took it through an area with a lot of wet snow and it all got lodged in the front differential / front axles / electric shift motor area and it ran find until I parked it, it was like -5 and the wet snow all promptly froze into one big block and when I went to move it inside to thaw the bike would not move when I gave it gas, wouldn't budge, however when I turned the idle screw upto heat the engine up hoping it would be content it would move forward or backward depending what it was in, so the axles and driveshafts weren't stuck or frozen at all and the brakes were fine but it absolutely refused to move if I gave it throttle, but it would if I turned the idle up, eventually something must've decided to pop into position because it suddenly decided not be able to move when I gave it throttle, and I drove it outside the building and in the time it took to make space for it, no longer than 30 minutes, it did it again,I pushed it inside and left it to thaw out, 2 days later on a heated building and it still won't move under its own throttle power, however the idle will make it move, I'm very confused about it, like the driveshafts and axles are fine Because they all still turn when the idle is up, I thought it might've bee the clutch but it doesn't make sense that it'd still move with the idle, unless a shaft or something might've broke? But that still makes no sense to me, I was trying to research if to little luck, I heard some things about low oil or the angle sensor crapping out but it was just so sudden and I had no issues before it till it got really cold, any suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated I just need this thing to work as I use it almost daily for work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try to shift it by hand on the left side of the motor with a 12mm and see if it moves if not you got a bigger problem. Maybe shift dog. I have a 450 es that quit moving but would still start and act like it was shifting Even when I used the shift shaft it felt like it but it refused to move finally drained the oil and saw some metal shavings and crazy thing is that the gear on the back of the "clutch pack" exploded some how but changed that and the primary gear that rides behind the primary clutch and crank shaft and it has done good since

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was about ready to tear it open and see what was going on and I noticed there's an adjustment screw on the front of the clutch that seemed loose, I tightened it and it worked brilliantly, however now a few days later it is having trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd ie it won't shift if the bike is moving, it tries to but I have to stop and then shift, could it be the angle sensor? And I hear an audible clunk if I hit a bump coming from somewhere down there and finally I hear something I can only relate to metal rubbing on metal, like there's friction somewhere, what devilish thing has gone wrong now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts