Honda Foreman Forums banner

ATV laws in Georgia or any where else

18853 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Xwelder
does anyone know where to find specific laws on riding atv's..i did a search on google and came up with nothing..i have always thought riding a atv on the side of the highway was illegal in Georgia..but congress has just tried to pass a law in georgia that was voted out to make it illegal to ride atv's on the side of the highway..making me think it's not would be nice to have a section on here state by state to go to and see how the laws differ..just in case some of us may go ride outta state..
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
i found them for Kentucky:

Kentucky’s All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) Laws

An all-terrain vehicle cannot be operated on any public highway, roadway or right-of-way of any public highway or roadway.

An all-terrain vehicle cannot be operated on private property without the consent of the landowner, tenant, or individual responsible for the property.

An all-terrain vehicle cannot be operated on public property unless the governmental agency responsible for the property has approved the use of all-terrain vehicles.

Except for vehicles authorized to operate on a public highway, a person operating an all-terrain vehicle on public property must wear approved protective headgear, prescribed by the secretary of the Transportation Cabinet, at all times that the vehicle is in motion. The approved headgear requirement does not apply when the operator of any all-terrain vehicle is engaged in:

(1) Farm or agriculture related activities;
(2) Mining or mining exploration activities;
(3) Logging activities;
(4) Any other business, commercial, or industrial activity; or
(5) Use of that vehicle on private property.

A person under the age of sixteen (16) years must not operate an all-terrain vehicle with an engine size exceeding ninety (90) cubic centimeters displacement, and cannot operate an all-terrain vehicle unless under direct parental supervision.

A person under the age of twelve (12) years cannot operate an all-terrain vehicle with an engine size exceeding seventy (70) cubic centimeters displacement.

A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle on any two (2) lane public highway in order to cross the highway. In crossing the highway under this paragraph, the operator must cross the highway at as close to a ninety (90) degree angle as is practical and safe, and cannot travel on the highway for more than two-tenths (2/10) of a mile.

(1) The Transportation Cabinet may designate, and a city or county government may designate, those public highways, segments of public highways, and adjoining rights-of-way of public highways under its jurisdiction where all-terrain vehicles that are prohibited may be operated.

(2) A person operating an all-terrain vehicle on a public highway under this subsection must possess a valid operator's license.

(3) A person operating an all-terrain vehicle on a public highway under this subsection must comply with all applicable traffic regulations.

(4) A person cannot operate an all-terrain vehicle under this subsection unless the all-terrain vehicle has at least one headlight and two taillights, which must be illuminated at all times the vehicle is in operation.

(5) A person operating an all-terrain vehicle under this subsection must restrict the operation to daylight hours, except when engaged in snow removal
See less See more

All-Terrain Vehicle Summary:
Before riding an ATV on public property you are required to:
Register your ATV for off-highway use;
Place the decal on the ATV handlebar, and
Complete the fun and informative ATV safety course.

Registration Fee:

The annual fee for an ATV, $30-$40, includes a $6.30 registration fee, plus a $6.00 safety fee, plus an optional, and variable, road and bridge fee, or child safety fee, plus a $13.00 title fee.
Your local tax assessor-collector will issue the registration decal that expires March 31st of each year. Valid registration is required if you ride on public land, and is also recommended if you ride on private land.

Promote ATV Safety: Learn the Texas ATV laws
Complete the required ATV training course
Wear safety gear
Pay attention to where you are riding

What is an ATV? An "All-terrain vehicle" is:

Equipped with a saddle
Propelled with three or four tires in contact with the ground
Designed for off-highway use by the operator only (no passengers), and
Not designed for farming or lawn care


ATV operators younger than 14 years of age MUST be under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.
Minimum Age
ATV Engine Size

6 years and older
Under 70cc

12 years and older
70 - 90cc

16 years and older
Over 90cc

ATV Equipment:

If you ride on public property your ATV must be equipped with:
An Effective brake system;
A muffler system in good working condition;
A United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester; and
An effective headlight and taillight to be displayed one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise,and at anytime when visibility is reduced.

Crossing the Roadway:

Riding your ATV across a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway is permitted if you:
Stop the ATV completely;
Yield the right-of-way;
Cross with headlight and taillight on, and
Go quickly and safely at a 90-degree angle to the roadway.

Safety Apparel Required:

A helmet, properly fastened, and eye protection are required year round.
Whether pleasure riding, hunting, camping, playing in the sand dunes or riding in the forest, you must wear safety gear while riding on public land.


Penalties can be severe and result in fines up to $4,000 and jail time up to one year.
Trespassing can include entering a posted area; and area noting crop for harvest; a fenced area; or remaining after being asked to leave.
Pay attention to where you are riding.

Know before you go:

Are your plans complete? Before you gather your gear, ask if ATVs are allowed in the area you plan to ride.


Always stop and check the entrance to lands where you want to ride.
Look for chains, rope or wire that may span the entryway.
Stop and look. These barriers can be difficult to see. Stop and look again.

Violation Fine:

An offense of the ATV laws is a Class C misdemeanor with fines up to $200.


No ATVs Allowed



Bar Ditches

Shoulders of Road
Public Highways

Grassy Area Along the Roadway


You can contact the Motorcycle Safety Unit at:

Motorcycle Safety Unit
Texas Department of Public Safety
P O Box 4087
Austin, Texas 78773-0001
Phone: (512) 424-2021
or 1-800-292-5787
See less See more

Failure to register your ATV or abide by the rules can be costly. First offenses range from $50 to $200 plus the cost of prosecution. A second offense carries a fine of $100 to $300 plus the cost of prosecution. Failure to register your vehicle or failure to have liability insurance is an automatic $300 fine plus cost of prosecution.

Law enforcement agency responsibility:

All law enforcement officers in the state, including local and state police, are authorized to enforce the Snowmobile/ATV Law.

In general:

State Forest and State Park lands - DCNR Rangers
State Game Lands - Wildlife Conservation Officers and Deputy WCOs
Municipal and state roadways - municipal and state police
Private property - municipal and state police
You must stop when signaled by a law enforcement officer. Failure to do so could result in fines and loss of your registration.

ATV Registration, Titling and Insurance
Who must register and title?
All ATVs in Pennsylvania, except ATVs used solely for business or agricultural purposes, need to be registered and titled with DCNR. ATVs used in Pennsylvania must be registered and titled with DCNR's Snowmobile/ATV Section. The ATV registration and titling fees are NOT user fees for the privilege of using trails on state-owned land. The fees provide funding to administer the program, maintain trails on DCNR-managed parks and forests, and provide grants to profit and non-profit organizations for developing additional riding opportunities.
Two types of registrations apply:
For ATVs used anywhere off of your own property or property leased by you, such as designated State Forest trails
$20 fee every two years
Limited registration

For ATVs used solely on your own land or land leased by you
Free registration
No expiration, unless ownership of vehicle changes

Pennsylvania registration is NOT required for:

ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations;
ATVs owned by nonresidents covered by a valid registration in their state, province or country that honors Pennsylvania registration;
ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body;
ATVs owned by a dealer who has been issued a dealer registration certificate and used only in connection with the dealer's business.

Titling is NOT required for:

ATVs used exclusively as utility vehicles for agricultural or business operations;
Snowmobiles bought or acquired prior to Oct. 23, 2001;
ATVs owned and used by a federal, state or local government body;
ATVs owned by a dealer before and until sale;
ATVs owned by a nonresident;
ATVs owned by a Pennsylvania resident, but registered and used in another state.
Titling: $22.50
Registration: $20, for a two-year period
Limited registration: Free
Replacement of lost or damaged registration certificate, limited registration certificate, registration decal, registration plate or expiration sticker: $5
Transfer of registration to a new machine by the same owner: $5
Dealer registration: $25
Plates and decals:
An ATV owner will be issued a registration plate for the vehicle.
An expiration sticker to be affixed to the plate will be issued for standard registrations.
How to register and title your ATV:
If you purchase your vehicle at a registered dealer, you will be issued a registration plate with a temporary 45-day registration sticker. The dealer will handle your application for title and registration.
If you purchase your ATV privately you will need to supply DCNR with:

Completed application for registration and titling
Proof of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
PA sales tax or proof that tax has been paid
Applications for registration and titling of ATVs and snowmobiles are available from the Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section, ATV and snowmobile dealers, forest district offices, and State Park offices.
Applications also are available on DCNR Web site.
The registration and titling application form along with the registration and titling fees and sales tax statement, must be completed and sent to:
Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Snowmobile/ATV Registration Section
P.O. Box 8553
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8553
Liability Insurance:
If you are using your ATV solely on land owned or leased by you, you are not required to get liability insurance. All other riders must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride. There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by DCNR or the Snowmobile/ATV Law for the liability insurance.
How to transfer title/ownership of your vehicle:
If you are transferring the title of your ATV to a new owner, complete the assignment on the back of the certificate of title and obtain notarization. The new owner must then apply for a new certificate of title and registration in his/her name. DO NOT REMOVE THE REGISTRATION DECAL OR PLATE FROM THE MACHINE.

Registration cannot be transferred from one owner to the next. If you no longer need registration because you have disposed of your vehicle in some way, complete the reverse side of your certificate of registration indicating the disposition status, listing buyer's name (if applicable), signing, dating and returning to DCNR within 15 days of disposition.

You may request the remaining months of your current registration be applied to a new registration of another vehicle that you have acquired. The fee for this transaction is $5.

Changes of Address:
You must notify DCNR's Snowmobile/ATV Section in writing of any change of address within 15 days.

All-Terrain Vehicles are defined as follows:

Class 1 ATV - A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 800 pounds.
Class 2 ATV - A motorized off-highway vehicle, which travels on three or more inflatable tires and has a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 800 pounds.

ATV Operation
Operation on streets and highways:
ATVs may be operated only on streets and highways designated and posted as an ATV road by the government agency having jurisdiction over that road.
An ATV may make a direct crossing of a street or two-lane highway if:
The crossing is made at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the direction of the highway and at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing;
The ATV is brought to a complete stop before crossing the highway;
The driver yields the right-of-way to all oncoming traffic that constitutes an immediate hazard;
The crossing of a divided highway is made at an intersection of that highway with another street or highway.
ATVs may be operated on streets or highways during periods of emergency, if declared by the jurisdiction, or when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert.
Operation during special events:
ATVs may be operated on highways and streets for special events of limited duration approved by the local authority having jurisdiction over those roadways.
Operation on private property:
It is illegal to ride your ATV on private property without permission from the landowner.
Operation on state-owned property:

Designated ATV trails on State Forest lands are open from the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September. Some ATV trails reopen for winter use in conjunction with the snowmobile season from the day following the last day of the regular or extended deer season through April 1, conditions permitting. Check with the District Forester to be sure that winter use is permitted. The trail also may be open to snowmobiles.
Only Class I ATVs may be operated on State Forest trails designated for ATV use. Class II ATVs may be operated on State Forest land ONLY if the person has been given specific permission from DCNR or the trail is specifically posted open to Class II ATVs of a particular width and weight.
State Forest roads are NOT open to ATVs.
State Parks and State Game Lands are NOT open to ATVs.

Riding rules:
To make the use of the trails safe and enjoyable for yourself and others, please:

Do not disturb, drive, or pursue wildlife with your vehicle
Do not carry loaded firearms on your ATV
Abide by State Park and Forest Rules and Regulations and the Snowmobile/ATV law and regulations
Stay on designated trails and roadways
Operate your vehicle in a safe and responsible manner
Place all litter in waste containers, where provided; otherwise practice the "carry-in, carry-out" procedure ·
Wear a securely fastened helmet.
Illegal operation:
Any of these activities may result in a fine or the loss of your registration:
Riding at a rate of speed that is unreasonable or improper under existing conditions or in excess of the maximum limits posted for vehicular traffic;
Riding in a careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another, such as riding double on an ATV;
Riding while under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or drugs;
Riding in an area, or on a trail or roadway that is not open to ATV use;
Riding without a securely fastened helmet.
All ATVs operating in Pennsylvania must be equipped with:
A brake system capable of producing deceleration of 14 feet per second at a speed of 20 miles per hour;
A muffler in good working order. The sound intensity produced by an ATV may not exceed 99dbA (decibels), when measured at 20 inches;
An operating headlight and tail light if operating at dark or when visibility is less than 500 feet. The headlight must produce a white light sufficient to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of 100 feet. The tail light must produce a red light plainly visible during darkness from a distance of 500 feet.
Plate/Sticker display:
The registration plate for an ATV is provided by the Snowmobile/ATV Section. Pictures below are examples of the Class I and Class II plates. This registration plate shall be securely attached to the upper half of the rear of the ATV. No part of the plate shall be in line with a tire. The information on the plate must be clearly visible from behind the ATV. It is important to clean mud and dirt off your ATV registration plate at frequent intervals so the information on the plate is clearly visible. The registration sticker must be placed in a bottom corner of the plate.
Liability insurance:
If you are using your ATV solely on land owned or leased by you, you do not have to get liability insurance. All other riders must carry liability insurance. Proof of that insurance must be carried with you when you ride. There are no minimum requirements or coverage standards established by the law for the liability insurance.
What you need while riding
While riding your ATV you must carry with you or on the vehicle:
Certificate of registration
Proof of liability insurance
Registration plate affixed to the vehicle
Expiration stickers (does not apply to limited registration)
Valid safety certificate (ages 10-15 if riding off of parent's or guardian's property)
Where to ride:
Know before you go. It's important you know what lands you will be riding on and if they are open to ATV use. Contact the appropriate land management agency to find out what is open.
Generally speaking, ATVs may be operated (see Youth operation for restrictions on child operators of ATVs):
On private property with the consent of the owner;
On state-owned property on clearly marked and previously designated trails;
On highways and streets for a short distance when necessary to cross a bridge or culvert.
On highways and streets during periods of emergency when so declared by a governmental agency having jurisdiction;
On highways and streets for special events of limited duration that are conducted according to a prearranged schedule under permit from the governmental unit having jurisdiction;
On streets and highways that have been designated as "ATV or Snowmobile Roads" by the governmental agency having jurisdiction.
Where NOT to ride:
Private property without the consent of the owner
State Forest trails not designated for ATVs
State Forest roads, State Game Lands, State Parks
On municipal or state-owned roads or streets that are not signed open to ATVs
Youth operation:
It is prohibited for a child under 16 * to:
Operate anywhere other than land owned or leased by a parent or guardian unless the child has a valid safety certificate or is under the direct supervision of a certified instructor during a certified safety training course.
Operate across highways or connecting streets or operate on State Park or State Forest roads designated for joint use (use by both motor vehicles and snowmobiles or ATVs) unless the child has a valid safety certificate and is under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older.
Drive on state or local highways, roads or streets designated for joint use.
*A child under 10 is not eligible for a safety certificate and is prohibited from operating anywhere except private property.
See less See more
Wow. I didn't know there were so many rules & regulations. Your fingers
must be tired from all that typin' .
Yea, Liked it better being stupid to the laws. Think I will just continue as is, being stupid that is. Dang, can't do much with these atvs legally. Mine is used mostly on my property working around the house or on the deer lease.
Here are the contacts NOHVCC contact for Georgia. They may be able to help you get the specifics.

<a href="" target="_blank"></a>

Good work on getting the info for the other states.
GA Laws

Well if you haven't found the answer to ur ???? I will post the sites for you on Friday when I am on my other puter. But I have friends that have thiers registered and ride them to work, but where I am they frown on riding them even on the side of the road.
They're pretty anal around ga about atv's.My buddy got a ticket for riding IN his subdivision from his house down 4 houses to his other buddies house.The real kicker is it's in a culdesac and to make it worse it's 1.8 mi off of a county road.They asked the cop what they could do to be legal and he said to have them registered and tagged.Don't know what all that would cost,but you're right they definitley frown upon us even in the country.
You can't drive an atv on any road in Illinois. Country or town/city.
you can't get a tag for a atv in ga the police are trying to get one down here and the sheriff told me that they could not get a tag cause of some off-road vehicle act.
Here in Michigan it is legal to ride on MOST county roads and all posted federal forest roads.Need an ATV tag,$16.50 per year.
Montana has a permanent (one time only) registration fee of about $80. You get a permanent license plate with it and it is legal to drive on all public roads including the interstate as long as you have a horn, headlights, taillights and mirror (I don't advise getting on the Interstate!). This will also get you onto most State and Federal lands but you have to stick to the existing trail systems. The problem up here is that the environmentalists are tring to get the forests and other public lands closed to ATVs.
GA Laws

Try and make sense of the laws here in Ga... If you can.......
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
<a href="" target="_blank"></a>
<a href="" target="_blank"> ... /sb400.htm</a>

I have many more if U want to read urself to death. Pretty much its up to local law enforcement is what I get. They won't let me reg here in Hinesville.
QUOTE ("big_daddy_bigfoot":3e20o2ph)
You can't drive an atv on any road in Illinois. Country or town/city.
well that makes me haveing had alot of illeagal time on my bike and thanks for the link in your sig
QUOTE (JWJR @ Aug 21 2006, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=46597
well that makes me haveing had alot of illeagal time on my bike and thanks for the link in your sig

Around North GA where i live you're just as likely to see a ATV or a side X side on the road. Unless you're acting like a jack ass, the cops will just wave.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.