Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tossing around the idea of trading my 2013 Rancher 4x4 DCT EPS for a 2020 Foreman Rubicon with EPS. I love how toss-able the Rancher is in the tight single track trails here in New Hampshire. But living in NH it snows and I have a long driveway and use my Rancher to plow. The Rancher does well enough but wonder how much more push I could get out of the Foreman. Again I do a bunch of trail riding in summer (for me thats about 1000 miles each summer) and use my Rancher for plowing in the winter for plowing and pulling my young boys around behind me on a sled through the snow. Would the Foreman be worth the upgrade? Would I loose the nimble snappy riding character of the Rancher. Would love input from folks that have both the Rancher and Foreman or have traded up. Or any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I didn’t have a 420 but I did have a 350 . The foreman 500 is a fair bit bigger feeling than the 350. I think the 13’ 420 was on the smaller chassis as the 14’s moved to the same frame as the foreman’s . My 500 has enough “power” to play and throw around on the trails but also has lower gearing and a bit more power for pushing snow . Also don’t forget they have locking front diff that makes a huge difference . Personally I wouldn’t go back to a rancher unless it was a wicked good deal .

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think you would love the upgrade. There is a night & day difference between the 2. Take one for a test drive and I think you will want to upgrade.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would keep the Rancher and buy the Rubicon. You could also buy the base model Foreman and set it up for plowing. Use your Rancher for trail riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wife has a 2009 rancher and I have a 2018 rubicon and I ride them both. For me the rubicon is a better trail ride, smoother suspension, more comfortable, and a little more power. The rancher being lighter smaller and with a lower seat height is going to be more nimble on trail. Other then that the rubicon for me wins out hands down to include plowing. Some really nice improvements on the 2020s

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would not get rid of the small frame Rancher! One of the best that Honda ever built...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback folks. I visited my local dealer yesterday and sat on a 2020 Rubicon, love the new matte green color. They only had 2 units in stock and did not have an opportunity to test ride one. Both were 2020 Rubicon with IRS, EPS, footshift. I noticed these units did not have low range. For some reason I thought they offered selectable low range unless that is only on the DCT units? Anyway price was at $9,995 for the non deluxe (basic wheels and tires) version. Seems a bit high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. I visited my local dealer yesterday and sat on a 2020 Rubicon, love the new matte green color. They only had 2 units in stock and did not have an opportunity to test ride one. Both were 2020 Rubicon with IRS, EPS, footshift. I noticed these units did not have low range. For some reason I thought they offered selectable low range unless that is only on the DCT units? Anyway price was at $9,995 for the non deluxe (basic wheels and tires) version. Seems a bit high.
Not sure what colors are actually ending up on what trim but if you build one on their website the new matte green metallic is only available on the deluxe. The price you gave is ~MSRP for a deluxe.

Low range is only on DCT models.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You don’t need a low range on a manual shift Rubicon or Foreman, 1st and 2nd are good and low...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts