Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i stood my bike up on the racks to fix my fender support bracket, it was bent, long story...but i saw that i must have hit something in a mud hole and the plastic skid plate was sliced open and folded back. and of course was packed full of mud.

anyway, does anyone know where I can get something cheap to replace it??

i don't want stock skids, but i don't want the fancy shiny aluminum ones either...

any ideas?

·
Registered
182 Posts
i hooked my truck up to a street sign on a back road and pulled the sign over, put it in my truck and took it home. Haven't got around to gettin it on yet but with some cutting it will fit lol PRICE=free

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just finished installing a full length skid plate that I made from HDPE or high density polyethylene(puck board). This stuff is very strong and easy to work with. Paid $40.00 for a piece 18" x 60". Should slide over rocks and stumps. There is a thread concerning this material if you do a search. I'll post some pics and let you know how well it works after the weekend.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah pics would be great!!!

it's sounds like it will work well but i have never heard of the stuff...

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE ("uhittheuglytree":78xb1mnr)
i hooked my truck up to a street sign on a back road and pulled the sign over, put it in my truck and took it home. Haven't got around to gettin it on yet but with some cutting it will fit lol PRICE=free
Did you know that stealing a traffic sign was illegal? Or that by taking the sign will endanger the driving public? There is cheaper and safer ways of building skid plates.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that site looks like a good deal but those pictures look like they were taken in 1974...

i have an old sign in my shed i may try first... 35mph.... hahaha

·
Registered
171 Posts
Please dont go steal a street sign. ATV people already have a bad enough name with the general public lets not add fuel to the fire.

·
Registered
182 Posts
and i suppose you riding through the woods with the extremly loud hmf pipe helps the sport by letting all the land owners know you're there??????

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE ("uhittheuglytree":2c7w0fqw)
yes i know it was illegal and no its on a road that only locals travel on so they know the road
If the sign was not need, you can bet it would not be there. That's what I do for a living. I'm the supervisor of Traffic Signs & Marking for the county. Here in Georgia, we procute people that steal traffic signs. So do us all a favor and leave the traffic signs alone. By the way the signs are a soft grade of .080 aluminum, they bend easily not very good material for a skid plate.

·
Registered
471 Posts
QUOTE ("Grumpy2":16ym6wye)
QUOTE ("uhittheuglytree":16ym6wye)
yes i know it was illegal and no its on a road that only locals travel on so they know the road
If the sign was not need, you can bet it would not be there. That's what I do for a living. I'm the supervisor of Traffic Signs & Marking for the county. Here in Georgia, we procute people that steal traffic signs. So do us all a favor and leave the traffic signs alone. By the way the signs are a soft grade of .080 aluminum, they bend easily not very good material for a skid plate.[/quote]

they do work great for floorboards for old jeeps. just take the ones that are out of the way, not the important ones. its job security for you too.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
like H4 said, puck board is good stuff for skids. it is light, and will slide on the mud. also Grumpy2 is right about the signs being soft, i have three of them and it will proubly be to soft for a skid. once a corner gets tore up they just fall apart. i have plastic skids on my brute and whenever they get busted up im going to get puck board.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might have to try out the sign thing. Don't worry, I'm not going to go steel any. I work for the Government and the sign shop is right down the road. They always have tons of old signs laying around or they might give me a blank piece..

·
Registered
560 Posts
The puckboard works great. These pics were after a full weekend of riding. Skids held up great and easily slid over rocks and logs. Not sure if I like the white color but this stuff is avail in black but it's a lot harder to find. I plan to cover the front with a custom alum checker plate bash plate anyway.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
h0w did you mount it? just screwed it to the frame?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.