Honda Foreman Forums banner

A question about my Honda foreman 4 wheeler

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  mrbb 
#1 ·
Hi im just wonder why my Honda foreman 4 wheeler in 5th gear at probly about 6000 to 7000 rmp plus only gets up to about 25 mph? If your wondering I used a gps to get that number

#3 ·
What year is your Foreman? What size tires are you running? Did you buy it new or used?

#4 ·
yes tell us mroe about your atv
age, miles on motor/hours on motor, what size tires are on it, any other mods to it
and I am not sure how you are getting RPM":S off any GPS< they don't give them
if your guessing> well thats one thing

BUT also, how long have your OWNED This atv>
any chance previous owner added a BIG GEAR REDUCTION, so they could run BIG tires on it?

#9 ·
tire size is on the tire side wall, and its very important to know the size for use to help you here
OEM tire size on this model will be 25 inch tall tires on all 4 corners, be then 8 wide up front(25/8/12) or rear (25/10/12) or close to these
if you have anything taller than a 25, there NOT stock size
if atv was used in mud and has BIG aggressive tires, odds are it has a gear reduction, which is needed to make up for all the gear ratio changes the tall tires did to OEM gearing, when you go to TALL tires, your atv motor no longer has the power to TURN them BIG tires, so, to get back the ability of TURN BIG tires, you have to alter gearing
altering gearing, then takes away top end speed, as it will make higher rpms at lower speeds
HONDA atv's have LOW HP< and only way to turn BIG tires is with very low gearing, LOW gearing doesn't allow for HIGH speeds,
depending HOW Low a gear reduction in added, will determine how fast the atv will go with its gearing and tires on it!

if you want more speed, you will most likely need to remove the gear reduction and go back to a smaller tire(back to closer to the OEM design 25 inch tall tires!
hope this maybe helps you get a better idea on tings
but let us know what size tire are on your atv and we can maybe offer better advice on things!

#11 ·
your first picture of tire is showing MODEL of the tire, NOT the tire size
a tire size will consit of numbers like this again
25x8x12, or 25x10x12, just as examples, NOT saying this is the size you have!

with again first number being the tires height/diameter, second number is how WIDE the tire is, and last number is the wheel size
BUT the atv looks to me to be on close to stock tire size, nothing HUGE by any means
so, either some previous owner added a gear reduction , or there is seriously something wrong with motor/power of the motor on this atv
have you done a compression test to see what that says on the motor, BUT this atv should top out close to 40+ mph and NOT the 25 your getting !

any chance you can contact the previous owner and ask if they did a gear reduction?
and do you even know what one is?, as it requires some disassembly of things to remove and the need for STOCK parts to be put back in , if this is your goal!
are you handy working on things?

#14 ·
well again your tire pic, that says KT 128,
this is the model of the tire, NOT the size!
the size again will consist of a set of numbers like this
an example again LOL
if it said this,
25x8x12 on front, and (then normally slightly wider on rear, 25x10x12)

the 25 is how tall tire is,25 inches
the 8 means how wide it is,8 inches(or other example would be 10 inches )
and the 12 means the wheel size the tire goes on!, a 12 inch wheel/rim

as for the things your stating about is basically runs OK
well that is good
but if it is having some issues idling or running, , normally these issue's are fuel related
fuel in a tank can go bad fast, or in these older atv's, the tank over time can get dirt and what not's in it
I get your a kid/younger person, and good for you for wanting to learn
IF you wish to learn more
what I would suggest is getting yourself a service manual on this atv, there are free downloads available
and used hard copies can be found ion places like E bay for fair prices!
it will be something you can use to learn a TON about this atv and how to make it run its best!

NOW< if you wish to try and make it run better
you can do some basis things
one drain and fill tank
make sure peacock is working and free flowing in run/reserve
next you can replace fuel line from tank to carb
and last, you can remove carb and clean
doing this will most times cure more funny idling running issue's
there are TONS of Youtube videos out there to watch on how to do all this as well, which might make life easier on you to learn and do so
I also suggest taking pictures as you go, or video or both, place any parts as you take off in plastic baggies and mark /label them when ever doing repairs, will again, make your life easier!

as for a gear reduction, I will gather this is PAST your skill set and ability, as it requires larger tear down to remove it

#13 ·
I don't know the previous owner im only a kid and I got the ATV from my step dad the ATV was given to us for free and it did not even run but we got it going so what I know it's works decently well by that I mean it wants to stall sometimes but it's fine. The oil is OK, gas is good, the cooling fan works and the transmission works. so I can't exactly do a compression test and my step dad is a heavy machine operator so he does not any thing like a gauge or much for ATVs.
But thanks for the advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.