Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '99 Honda Foreman 450S that needed a little work. Right now I'm addressing the issue of it missing the front drive line from the pinion back to the motor. What other years/models will fit?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Know of a good place to pick something like that up, beside the dealerships?

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
i looked on ebay i couldnt find one used ,you could look in the for sale section for one or start a thred

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Front Drive shaft with the coupling for $65 shipped:happy

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
welcome to the box

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the front drive shaft off a '99 Foreman S I'm willing to part with. I am in the process of installing a Warn 424 I just bought off eBay and wont be needing the stock drive shaft. The teeth on the splines look solid, but I tore up the boots getting it off my machine (I didn't think i would be needing it anymore). I will take $40 shipped.

Since this is a front differential thread, I have a few questions for you experts out there. I just bought an All Balls from diff bearing and seal kit, and I am in the process of rebuilding it with no service manual.
1. Which way do the seals on either side of the diff go in? The ones I removed looked backward to me, but I don't know much about this. Does the side with the spring go in or out? It was on the inside (toward the diff) when i removed it but it just looks odd to me. Bought the ATV used so I don't know if all maintenance has been done properly. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

2. Also, is there any sort of gasket/seal that goes between the two halves of the front diff? It looked like someone used some sort of liquid sealer, but I would like to ensure water stays out and gear lube stays in.

Searching these forum posts has served me well with repairs already, so I decided to sign up!!

Thanks in advance gentlemen!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might as well throw this out there too:
Does anyone know where I might find a Detroit Gearless Locker 1 (LCKHLDET1) while I have this thing torn apart? I did manage to locate one after weeks of searching from a local dealership, but they want $490 with tax!!! I believe asking price was around $300 when these things were still in production.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, picked up an '01 front diff with axles and front drive shaft, everything for $100 bucks. I'm trying to separate the drive shaft from the pinion joint and it will not budge. I rolled the rubber dust boot back and it was full of nice dry rusty dust so it definitely needs some cleaning and grease but I can't get it apart. What's the trick here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Unbolt all the front diff brackets and nuts, roll the o-ring back on the boots and slide back, slide the differential forward as far as it will go, and pull the propeller back toward the engine (there is a spring inside the shaft). It will still be a squeeze to get it out, but it will eventually come. I just did this past weekend on a 99.

Good luck!! (Oh and beer helps too!!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the front drive shaft off a '99 Foreman S I'm willing to part with. I am in the process of installing a Warn 424 I just bought off eBay and wont be needing the stock drive shaft. The teeth on the splines look solid, but I tore up the boots getting it off my machine (I didn't think i would be needing it anymore). I will take $40 shipped.

Since this is a front differential thread, I have a few questions for you experts out there. I just bought an All Balls from diff bearing and seal kit, and I am in the process of rebuilding it with no service manual.
1. Which way do the seals on either side of the diff go in? The ones I removed looked backward to me, but I don't know much about this. Does the side with the spring go in or out? It was on the inside (toward the diff) when i removed it but it just looks odd to me. Bought the ATV used so I don't know if all maintenance has been done properly. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

2. Also, is there any sort of gasket/seal that goes between the two halves of the front diff? It looked like someone used some sort of liquid sealer, but I would like to ensure water stays out and gear lube stays in.

Searching these forum posts has served me well with repairs already, so I decided to sign up!!

Thanks in advance gentlemen!!
I verified seal reinstall in a Clymer service manual-spring does go in.

Also, I found no seal is available. Mechanic told me to use liquid gasket seal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, picked up an '01 front diff with axles and front drive shaft, everything for $100 bucks. I'm trying to separate the drive shaft from the pinion joint and it will not budge. I rolled the rubber dust boot back and it was full of nice dry rusty dust so it definitely needs some cleaning and grease but I can't get it apart. What's the trick here?
I soaked it in Diesel for a coupleweeks.... worked like a charm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts