Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I've got going on - I lost my ignition key so I ordered a new ignition and installed - battery had died- I tried charging on bike but accidently hooked charger to two posts behind battery before I realized what I had did - I know a dumb a-- mistake. It had been starting and running but wasn't shifting into reverse and forward was not shifting past 3rd. I charged battery off Atv but would not turn over. Carried to shop - they installed new battery but can't get it to fire. It's turning over but no fire and won't shift at all. They think it's a wiring issue??
They've gotten 3 hours labor and still not figured out Any ideas?? Don't ask their rate - I can't leave it with them -
Thanks

· Registered
311 Posts
On some older Honda quads, a failed voltage regulator can also affect ignition. This isn't in the factory service manual on how to troubleshoot these issues. Not something all shops realize so it's good to look into.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m not sure what you connected the charger to, starter solenoid, but based on what you stated I take it the charger was powered up which could have back fed the voltage rectifier and burnt up the diodes which would prevent it from starting. The rectifier can be tested to confirm good or bad diodes. This is addressed in the manual. Good luck. Brain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts