Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I am trying to decide between the 2016 TRX Rubicon 500 or the 420. I am mainly going to be using it for hunting and trail riding. Nothing to extreme, but I don't want to get left in the dust by my buddies on their 500's. The 420 has some feature that I find cool but not a must. I want a basic manual shift IRS a must. Don't care about the power steering. Big question. Here in Canada I will pay about $ 2000.00 difference between the two and you know how our dollar is doing. I need a non- dealers point of view

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with the DCT Rubicon, but the 500 won't be much faster than the 420, if any. The Rancher is geared higher and there is very little hp difference in the two. Speed on the trail should not be a deciding factor between the two. Just find the model that had the combo of options you want. A manual shift Rubicon sounds like your best option. I don't have the power steering in mine and I don't mind that at all. I rode mine and a straight axle Rancher with EPS and neither me or my wife could tell the difference. I hear the EPS really shines with big tires or like in ruts where the steering can bind. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
The 500 rubicon will be slower than the 420 by a fair amount (id say 8-10 mph) unless they slowed the 420 way down since 2014, my 2016 rubicon is about 10 mph slower than my '13 foreman and my sisters 14 420 rancher will tie or slightly out run my 13 foreman, and as far as not noticing the power steering thats crazy, i and everyone i ride with sees a very noticeable difference especially on the trails and if you plow,

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 500 rubicon will be slower than the 420 by a fair amount (id say 8-10 mph) unless they slowed the 420 way down since 2014, my 2016 rubicon is about 10 mph slower than my '13 foreman and my sisters 14 420 rancher will tie or slightly out run my 13 foreman, and as far as not noticing the power steering thats crazy, i and everyone i ride with sees a very noticeable difference especially on the trails and if you plow,
My feedback is exactly the same as Arlin. My dad owns a couple of Ranchers and they are great machines. The Rancher is going to be faster than a new Rubicon. I also had a '13 Foreman which goes 10 MPH faster than my new '16 Rubicon. Overall I still like my new Rubicon the best of all these machines but you can't go wrong with any of them. I also agree with Arlin that power steering does make a noticeable difference at the end of the day. I wouldn't call power steering necessary but it is a nice luxury that does make a difference.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
don't forget guys the new rancher is NOW on the full sized frame, adding more weight to the mix , taking away the smaller more nimble ways of the rancher once had!

if it was me, I'd say the 500 is the better bang for the buck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Speed is not a deciding factor for me so I think ill be going with the 500 Rubicon IRS.

i think you will be very happy it ,, especially if you decide to go with power steering. i love mine

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you will be very happy with your choice also. As for my comments on the power steering, I think it had a lot to do with the IRS allowing the steering to turn easier. The rancher was not irs, but had the power steering. We only rode them at the dealer, so no trail riding. If we had more situation to test it, I'm sure the eps could have made more of a difference. Just riding on the flat ground around the dealer, my wife could not even tell the difference, and that was the only requirement she had for the atv at the time. If the leftover '15 Rubi had had eps, I would have bought it, but I'm perfectly happy with mine without. Good luck on your new Rubicon. I'm confident you will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Power steering tops my wish list if I ever buy another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speed/Acceleration

I’m thinking about changing my 2013 TRX420 for a 2019 TRX500! Upon reading you chat I’m thinking otherwise as I’m looking for more speed and acceleration over flat fields? Is the 420 really faster???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts