Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil does the 2000 foreman 450 take. Im changing oil in my grandfathers and he has lost the manual.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Check the Honda website to be sure but I believe eustismudder is right, it is about 1.5 quarts.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
It takes 2.1 U.S. qts. You will be fine with 2 qts.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
The owners manuel for my 03' Foreman says 2.1 U.S qts. They have the
same engine, so it is the same i'm sure. I've been usin' 2 qts. since the
first oil change & it always shows that it is full.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Anytime. Just be sure to use the right type of oil or it won't shift as smooth
as it should.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Accually guys its 2.3 U.S quarts, I have a 2000 and I also have the original manual and it says 2.3........HA!!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Clymers says
Oil and Filter change 2.2 qts HA HA

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
My 03 manuel says 2.1 qts. So, i guess they are differant accordin' to the
year model.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
This is strange. They have the same engine, so why are they callin' for
differant amounts of oil? It ain't enough to worry about, but still.

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE ("eustismudder":2a1jqxho)
I use the discout auto parts 10w-40. As long as it has that little seal on the back then your alright.
I thought that the foreman's had a wet clutch and the honda oil has the right additive for the clutch. I have used regular motor oil in a '98 foreman that I had and the clutch went out in it. I believe that it was from the oil.

·
Registered
65 Posts
you are correct. i know several other riders that use regular oil, but i use oil without the friction modifiers. regular oils are designed to defeat friction in the engine. having a wet clutch, we need a certain amount of friction to allow the clutch to grab. as for the differing amounts, maybe it has something to do with the size/location of the oil cooler & lines running to it. i buy oil in the big jug, so i add/check, add/check until its full. then check again after the first ride to be sure. also, it is my understanding that you don't actually screw in the cap/dipstick when checking the level - just sit it over the opening. anybody else know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I thought you screwed the dipstick in to get the correct amount. If that is
the case, i have been overfilling ours since day one if you check it without
screwin' in the dipstick.

·
Registered
516 Posts
QUOTE ("js6986":2zqzpg00)
QUOTE ("eustismudder":2zqzpg00)
I use the discout auto parts 10w-40. As long as it has that little seal on the back then your alright.
I thought that the foreman's had a wet clutch and the honda oil has the right additive for the clutch. I have used regular motor oil in a '98 foreman that I had and the clutch went out in it. I believe that it was from the oil.[/quote]

For the kinda riding we do most likely your going to be changing and cycling to get the water out so I dont spend my money on the expensive stuff.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.