Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1998 Foreman 450 with 600 miles on it. Gas runs out the over flow when fuel valve turns on.
Replaced original carb twice, still happening. Engine runs smoothly and not running rich at all. Fuel line , filter, carb, tank shutoff all replaced. Runs perfect for a couple of weeks then it starts again. Right now if I turn on the fuel valve it starts running out of the over flow?????? HELP? The last two carbs are from Zoom Zoom parts. They have been good about everything but I'm right back to where I started from! Banged on the carb no change, the fuel drain screw is so tight I cannot even open it, it came that way. So I doubt it got crap in it. Getting sick of this. Is there an EFI conversion available??

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you loosen the gas cap and turn on the petcock, does that change anything?

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's, 06 TRX 500FE, 16 TRX 500FE
32 Posts
Sounds like a tank vent is stopped up. I agree, trying opening the tank cap and see if it stops.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Has to be either tank is pressurizing or float/valve/seat problem. Sometimes just because a part is new doesn’t mean it’s good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has to be either tank is pressurizing or float/valve/seat problem. Sometimes just because a part is new doesn’t mean it’s good.
That's the only two things that will cause your problem. You may have to consider that the carbs you got from "Zoom Zoom" are just cheap quality and no good. I will admit that it's unusual for two identical brand new parts to be defective but it does happen. Take the float bowl off remove the float and needle valve. Wash everything really well with carburetor cleaner and blow everything off with compressed air and put it back together. Check the float level to make sure it's adjusted right. Make sure the float valve is closing all the way. Put the bowl back on it and reinstall the carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna try rebuilding the original. I noticed the original float has no adjustment method, it's one solid piece. Maybe just a new needle and seat will do the trick. These Chinese knocks-offs haven't helped.
Altough the rebuild kit is made in China too. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After I retired from the Army I worked for several years with a friend of mine in his small engine repair shop. I can't tell you how many of those cheap Chinese knock off carburetors we had to replace. They're just no good. They're cheap priced which is attractive but they're also extremely cheap quality. I guess they're okay for a paper weight but that's about it. The real problem is that everything that's American made is so over priced. We, as Americans, have gotten so greedy and the Chinese know it and try to take advantage of it. It's created a whole knock off junk market that they're making a fortune off of. Even a rebuild kit for one of those little carbs is stupid expensive and there's only a few parts in it. Mostly a couple of gaskets and maybe an O ring or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts