Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts great cold or hot out. When at idle it sounds normal give it more gas and it starts this loud slapping tapping sound and goes away when you return to idle. Adjusted the values to spec and didn't seem to help. Please HELP

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is the carb all adjusted properly? Could be like wrong fuel-air mixture or something, fuels to rich or there's not enough of it coming through, I had a similar sounding problem and that fixed it, also if there's a bit of blockage in the muffler it could limit the amount of exhaust being able to escape so it struggles and might give you something similar, where's the noise coming from? Can you find it possibly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the carb all adjusted properly? Could be like wrong fuel-air mixture or something, fuels to rich or there's not enough of it coming through, I had a similar sounding problem and that fixed it, also if there's a bit of blockage in the muffler it could limit the amount of exhaust being able to escape so it struggles and might give you something similar, where's the noise coming from? Can you find it possibly?
Yes It takes gas good and it did sputter at idle till I adjusted the air fuel

·
Registered
235 Posts
check the muffler if you have some blocking the flow and making the tapping sound?

I had a muffler go bad on 02 foreman and lost all power due to exhaust restriction.

would idle fine but try to go someplace and the engine would bog down due to the restriction.

Temp fix was to insert long rod into muffler to keep the broken/rusted baffle out of exhaust path.
Long term fix was to put a new muffler on it.

best of luck to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[QUOTE="sublime68charger, post: 3187610, member: it runs great and has power it doesn't bog shifts good, one way bearing is good I changed the push rods last night thinking that maybe in a crazy way it might of been them, the bike only has 1600 miles on it

·
Registered
235 Posts
how many miles/hours on this machine?

how long have you had it?

I'm not much of a ATV Mechanic but those anwers' may help others who have more knowledge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm not much of a ATV Mechanic but those anwers' may help others who have more knowledge.
Go

Literally 1600 check the timing chain the tension the valves and pulled the cylinder off and checked for play in the rod. Can't find a single thing don'tknow if thats good or bad lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved after pulling the jug to check the timing chain tensioner. It turned out to be the lifter bucket " lifter valley"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts