Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ouch. 10th digit is Y, so must be a 2000. Guy that is selling is furious since he was told it was 2004 when he bought it. Any idea of a fair offer to make, or should this just be a pass altogether?
Its kinda funny because mine is a 2000 and I was told it was an 04. As far as price goes that would sell between 2500 and 3000 in my area.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
2200 to 2500 bucks maxxx !!! get that vin # ran at the police station .....never know if its stolen, trust me !!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
He said he'd take $2,500. It has fairly new 27" itps and new rims. I just don't know if it's a good deal or not.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
tell him $2200 cash. anything between $2200-$2500 is very fair

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Book on it is $1750, add wheels and tires that would bring it to about $2000. It just depends on how things sell in your area which they must be selling good if your driving 5 hours to look at a machine. If everything checks out you won't get hurt on the $2500 but with getting it you will be at the $3000 for a $2000 machine. It just depends on what is around to compare the price to.

The 450 is a tough machine and pretty easy to work on if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Book on it is $1750, add wheels and tires that would bring it to about $2000. It just depends on how things sell in your area which they must be selling good if your driving 5 hours to look at a machine. If everything checks out you won't get hurt on the $2500 but with getting it you will be at the $3000 for a $2000 machine. It just depends on what is around to compare the price to.

The 450 is a tough machine and pretty easy to work on if needed.
Seller also said the digital display is faded and dim. Is this a big problem or a tough fix? Thanks to everyone for your help

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
Seller also said the digital display is faded and dim. Is this a big problem or a tough fix? Thanks to everyone for your help
if its just the plastic that covers the display you can use a plastic headlight repair kit to make it clear again
if its the digital display thats shot there $140 new (i have a used one for sale for $75 ) only 2200 miles

·
Registered
818 Posts
Now that you know the correct year, you can buy a kit to let you switch from 4wd to 2wd. It used to be made by warn and called the 424 kit. They discontinued it and now its made by wide open, still a fantastic kit, great quality. Search ebay and you'll find them.

The 98-01 bikes have a crapier limited slip front diff, does not have select able 4wd, and also has the old glass headlights instead of the newer plastic lights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently purchased Honda identification problem

Was listed as an 2003 Honda rancher 400 4x4 all the time , but a couple friends are saying it isn't. Tried to get vin but couldn't read entire thing. Runs great no issues what so ever just want to find out year, model and engine. Some are saying its a 2004 foremen 450?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was sure that the ones with the complete floorboards were 450's and the ones without the complete floorboards were 400's

I could be wrong though

To get the vin, use nitromors or simlair and you need sandpaper a wire brush and and angled mirror along with a good torch ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
thanks for the tips will do

Oh and stamped near the cylinder head somewhere there may be some numbers on a plate for example 433cm3 which would mean a 450

I can't remember exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its definitely not a Rancher. The only 400 Rancher made was a 400AT. My Grandpa had one that got passed onto my uncle. That machine in your pics looks nothing like it. Its definitely a Foreman. The 400's did not have full floorboards like the one in your pic. But the 450's had the bumper like the one pictured. I would be a little leery of this machine. Make sure you check the VIN number. Have it checked for liens and possibly if it has a salvage title. Something looks off with the headlight too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also just saw that when I start and put in first it blinks 8 times? Some sort of error code I guess anyone have a clue before I got to google?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts