Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New guy here, first post. I need some advice as I'm looking at my first four wheeler purchase now. I've found a good condition 04 foreman 450 with 1,500 miles and approx 200hrs for around $3,000. It seems like a good deal to me, as it's in line with KBB and NADA. The only thing that concerns me is that it's full-time 4 wheel drive. Is this that big of a deal, or will I have a significantly rougher ride and steering issues? I plan on using the bike to hunt primarily and trail ride a little bit.

Thanks for any input/advice.
Matt

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum !!
if its a 04 it can be switch from 4x4 to 4x2 with a yellow switch on the right bar ....

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yep, the 04 has the traxlock system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. The guy that has it said 04 and all time 4x4. I'll check back with him. If it's a 03, is the full-time 4x4 a big deal? Sorry for the newbie questions...
Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pics. The only yellow switch is on the left bar. Again, I'm new to this, so I really don't know. The bike is 5 hours away, so I can't just go take a look at it if that makes sense. Is this an 03 or older?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
you better check the sticker on the left front frame tube ...thats where it tells the year .........

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Yea maybe its just my eyes but I dont see a 4wd selector.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I also don't see the selector button which means its an 01 or older.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will point out that regardless of the year the front bumper and rack are bent so I would pass on it if it were me, I would hate for you to drive 5hrs to find out the frames bent in the front.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
it has a 98 to 01 grill so.........im thinking something is fishy
as for a bent bumper ....i dont see it ...but yes the rack is bent down a little but that can be fixed easly

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looking at the pic the left side of the rack is bent down and on the lower part of the bumper the left side looks pushed back

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
Looking at the pic the left side of the rack is bent down and on the lower part of the bumper the left side looks pushed back
I see what you mean but that might just be the picture angle.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Full time 4x4 isn't a big deal, most of the time mine is in 4x4 even on the trails. Get the price adjusted for the correct year of the machine. If the sticker is gone on the front of the frame you can have him check the 10th digit of the vin number and that is the year code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks toodeep. That's what i was looking for. Assuming it's a '00 or '01, what's a fair offer to make on it? 1500 miles, 200+ hours...

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Front of the frame on the plate going across that the mid front bumper brackets mount to. It's stamped in the top of that plate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch. 10th digit is Y, so must be a 2000. Guy that is selling is furious since he was told it was 2004 when he bought it. Any idea of a fair offer to make, or should this just be a pass altogether?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts