Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 450ES will not shift from 2nd to 1st to neutral. It shifts fine from 2nd to 3rd to fourth to fifth and back to 2nd. It changes cleanly except when trying to change back to 2nd. Tried rocking it back and forth even using the manual lever - no joy although the 2nd gear did start flashing. Battery voltage and amps is fine and even tried using jump leads. All wires look fine. Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks Tony

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
count the flashes.It's a trouble code. search on this site and you'll find what the codes mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It only flashes when I use the emergency gear shift lever and try and shift it into a gear. The display sequence shows a blinking 2 approx ten times then a pause and then repeats this sequence. I have searched the site and have found that the code means "ES shift switch system up and down" refer to page 22-8. Does anyone have these pages or can provide some more info on what this means ?

Foreman dead in the shed - sad sight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Honda Mechanic. I think the problem is a mechanical and not an electric problem. I do the the test as described in section 21-3 where the ignition is in the off position and using the emergancy gear tool shift through the gear range. The gearbox will not change from 2nd to 1st to neutral. It will change from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th and the reverse sequence back to 2nd but will not change to 1st. Section 21-3 then refers you to section 9/11. Would you perhaps have that part of the manual handy or could you describe what is in that section ?

I have ordered a third party manual but it is going to take a few days before I get it

Thanks again.

Foreman still very dead in the shed - sad sight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After much trepidation I got stuck in and opened her up. Got the motor out after stripping the body work etc. When I opened the front clutch cover out drop a sheared bolt head. The origin of this bolt was to hold the guide plate and drum shaft that make up the gearshift linkage. Had to take off the centrifugal clutch and cluck assemblies to get to the sheared off bolt. Cleaned out the thread, reapplied Locktite and replaced the bolt with a high tensile cap screw. Checked that the gears would shift through the range. Reassembled the motor and put it back together. (sounds so simple and quick when writing it.) Adjusted the clutch. Once the motor was in place in the frame hooked up the electrics and did a double check before bolting everything back together. All gears and even reverse worked perfectly - phew!

All in all took me the best part of the day with a help of a friend.
Did an initial oil change after an half an hour to get any of the accidental foreign bits out.
Quad changes really smooth. I think better than when I got it.

It is strange that this bolt sheared off. It does not seem that it takes a lot of strain. Maybe it became loose thus causing the additional force to shear it. I am amazed that it was not a high tensile bolt in any event.

See attached image for the bolt location

Thanks again to the Honda Mechanic. Would not have started if you did not send me the info -

Thanks again - Tony

Foreman no longer dead in the shed up and about thats the sight

[/img]

·
Registered
578 Posts
QUOTE ("Honda Mechanic":2jqx05pr)
Good to see you could fix it yourself .. Not hard to do with a good manual ,you probably saved yourself a couple of hundred by not taking it to the dealer ..
correction $311 Canadian (inc oil change) @53 bucks an hour ..saved if you were to do it by yourself..had the same thing happen to me.. wish i found this thread a few weeks ago

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.