Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
@AKATV @Ray permissions look good on my end, he should be able to receive messages. If there are still issues just let me know and I'll look farther into it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Speedometer Help

Hi toodeep
Thanks for looking into this
Ray has read the response online here in the forum and PM'd me his contact information
I still get the below error when attempting to send him a PM

vBulletin Message
"Ray has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Ray from the recipient list and send the message again."

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
@AKATV could you try to send one again to see if it will work. My PMs would force through regardless of settings they have set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tried one last time, but it still said he was unable to receive PMs?
He saw our posts online and sent his email to me and we got together talked on the phone
He shipped his speedometer for repair, so hope to have him back up and working properly very soon
Many thanks for all the support

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me start off by saying if you need your speedometer fixed on a honda forum...AKATV is the MAN!!!!...I talked with 3 local honda dealers about my speedometer problem and they all said I needed to buy a new speedometer it's not repairable and it would cost 2 to 3 hundred dollars🙄🙄🙄...nothing wrong with the 4wheeler just the speedometer issue , I didn't want to spend that much and thought about just selling the 4wheeler till I came up on this forum and read one post that almost had the same problem as mine. Got hold of AKATV guy and explained my problem with my speedometer. We exchanged information , sent my speedometer on a saturday and he received it Wednesday by thursday he texted me told me what the problem was with speedometer by friday it's in the mail coming back to me FIXED!!!! from Alaska. THEY NEED TO PUT AKATV ON HONDA'S PAYROLL😁😁😁...Thanks again AKATV your the man👍👍👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thank you for the kind words- glad to help
I have had good luck so far with speedometer repairs so far and am looking
into repairing the the LCD screens that are damaged from sun burnout.
The usual faded out, burnt oval that comes from sitting out in the sun for tool long on your display.
They can be repaired by replacing the polarizing film on the LCD glass.
It seems a bit tedious and I have not mastered it yet but will post here once I figure it out
There are a couple good links here on the forum to someone who had good success with it.
I felt the need after a couple speedometers that were sent in also had LCD burnout as well.
Hope to help more in the future and thanks for a great forum

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
@AKATV you should really consider doing this as a side hustle and charging for it.

I see a LOT of these older machines that have burnt out displays, and people are always asking where to get new meters, and in many cases they are no longer available new from Honda anymore.

You could help folks out and make a little cash to fund your own projects.

As someone who did ATV work for free for several years, you will very quickly get overwhelmed with work if you aren't charging anything.

I'd rather see you doing it "for profit" and keep doing it than to get overwhelmed doing it free for tons of people and get burnt out on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
speedo problems trx450es

I sent my speedometer to be repaired got it back in 7 days works great what a great service.Thanks Marv in colo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sent my speedometer to be repaired he sent pictures of it working.Mailed it back to me right away works great.Thanks for great service Marv Colo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those that have been pulling hair out-
It took me a month to figure this out, but I am glad to report that I have figured out how to repair my 2004 450ES Speedometer

If you have a 02-04 450 ES model ( 4 indicator lights on top of meter)
or a 99-00 450 ES model ( 3 indicator lights on top of meter)

and your display:

- does not show the gear indicator spot at all (not the gear or --) but the
backwards "L" that goes around the gear position - its just blank

-your miles and hours have reverted to zero and possibly now shows KM now instead of Miles

-your speed shown seems to have almost doubled (possibly KMs per hour even thought it shows Miles)

What has happened is your EEPROM chip on motherboard has lost the programming due to dead battery for
a LONG time or an electrical malfunction etc...

I have borrowed a friends speedometer (a trusting friend) removed the chip from his, copied the data and put it on mine and it reads perfect now.

I can repair your speedometer it will have 1851 miles and 317.2 hours on it as that is the only copy I have for the 02-04 Foreman 450ES
I can also do 99-2000 450ES speedometers (3 indicator lights on top of meter) but will have to double-check check on the mileage/hours copy I have and let you know to see if you want that
If you want to try it for yourself the program is called ponyprog you will have to have an old XP laptop and buy the cables on ebay -check it out online thats what I did.
Just be careful as you have to be knowledgeable with electronics and soldering with hot air etc...

I can also do TRX500FM and FE meters and the older Rancher 350ES meters as well but it has to have the above symptoms and not water damaged-caught on fire, cracked lcd, etc....

If you have one you want repaired just send to me (just the board with LCD) I can repair it for you for 25.00 or barter etc.....
Shipping would be 2-$3.00 First Class with tracking and I will pay return shipping
I will confirm and send pictures to you as well to show a working completed repair on your display
If there is heavy water corrosion, rust and rot damage etc.. its probably not repairable but I can try if you want -no fix-no pay
If you PM me or whatever we can work it out I am easy and like you all I am always fiddling/learning with wheelers
I think you will be happy and you will have more hair -mine is filling back in...................

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those that have been pulling hair out-
It took me a month to figure this out, but I am glad to report that I have figured out how to repair my 2004 450ES Speedometer

If you have a 02-04 450 ES model ( 4 indicator lights on top of meter)
or a 99-00 450 ES model ( 3 indicator lights on top of meter)

and your display:

- does not show the gear indicator spot at all (not the gear or --) but the
backwards "L" that goes around the gear position - its just blank

-your miles and hours have reverted to zero and possibly now shows KM now instead of Miles

-your speed shown seems to have almost doubled (possibly KMs per hour even thought it shows Miles)

What has happened is your EEPROM chip on motherboard has lost the programming due to dead battery for
a LONG time or an electrical malfunction etc...

I have borrowed a friends speedometer (a trusting friend) removed the chip from his, copied the data and put it on mine and it reads perfect now.

I can repair your speedometer it will have 1851 miles and 317.2 hours on it as that is the only copy I have for the 02-04 Foreman 450ES
I can also do 99-2000 450ES speedometers (3 indicator lights on top of meter) but will have to double-check check on the mileage/hours copy I have and let you know to see if you want that
If you want to try it for yourself the program is called ponyprog you will have to have an old XP laptop and buy the cables on ebay -check it out online thats what I did.
Just be careful as you have to be knowledgeable with electronics and soldering with hot air etc...

I can also do TRX500FM and FE meters and the older Rancher 350ES meters as well but it has to have the above symptoms and not water damaged-caught on fire, cracked lcd, etc....

If you have one you want repaired just send to me (just the board with LCD) I can repair it for you for 25.00 or barter etc.....
Shipping would be 2-$3.00 First Class with tracking and I will pay return shipping
I will confirm and send pictures to you as well to show a working completed repair on your display
If there is heavy water corrosion, rust and rot damage etc.. its probably not repairable but I can try if you want -no fix-no pay
If you PM me or whatever we can work it out I am easy and like you all I am always fiddling/learning with wheelers
I think you will be happy and you will have more hair -mine is filling back in...................
are you local here in Alaska? I recently let my rig go dead because it was waiting to be shipped to anchorage? My display reads in km Now and no longer mph? Is this something you can fix? My email is best way to contact me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Hi Jesse
I sent you a message, I should be able to get you fixed up no problem
Let me know the symptoms first and I will know if I can get you working properly again
I will also send you email/text as well
You might want to be careful about posting email and phone # on an open forum,
Private messaging is better for that, so you dont get slammed with spam mail and robocalls
You can edit your message if its not too late, or ask a Moderator to please remove your contact info- its up to you though
-talk with you soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Jesse
Let me know the symptoms first and I will know if I can get you working properly again
Private messaging is better for that, so you dont get slammed with spam mail and robocalls
You can edit your message if its not too late, or ask a Moderator to please remove your contact info- its up to you though
-talk with you soon
Hi Jesse
You can edit your message if its not too late, or ask a Moderator to please remove your contact info- its up to
Hi Jesse
Let me know the symptoms first and I will know if I can get you working properly

·
Registered
5 Posts
Akatv is the man. Super friendly and helpful. He got my meter and had quick turn around in 1 day. Super communicative and a pleasure to do work with. Highly recommend for anyone with a problem with their meter

21 - 38 of 38 Posts