Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi have a 2000 450 foreman s
ran good since owned but intermittent leaked fuel from carb drain and back fire at heavy throttle ,always started like a top.
removed carb and cleaned with multiple spray/ soak /compressed air sessions over a couple of days.
Pilot jet looked like it had never been touched and was seized.got it out and it looked like it had been fully seated and left in.
put in carb kit in the lower bowl area with new jets(fully seated) and new pilot screw seated and backed
2 1/8 turns.
Put an in line fuel filter in to keep crap out,fired it up and it ran for half minute and died.
I have fuel coming out the drain when i loosen the drain plug.
But she wont run much and is very hard to start.
wondeing if i should adjust pilot screw
remove in line filter
look into choke adjustment
or tear it down and go through it again
any input is appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been having carb issues. Boiled in lemon juice. Put several different kits in it. Just never worked like it should.

I bought a caltric carb off of amazon for my 450 for about $20. I wasn’t expecting much but it runs better than it did new.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Take the filter out and try it . I’ve had filters especially the bigger see threw ones cause fuel flow issues .

·
Registered
382 Posts
White vinegar cleans really well, even quicker in an ultrasonic bath.

cygnus, make sure the inline filter isn't running uphill. Gravity flow doesn't work well with uphill sections of hose. Adding a filter usually means a hose needs to be shortened to keep it all level or downhill.

Backfire through the carb or exhaust?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I'll check that all out the backfires from exhaust after you left off the throttle especially when it's half or more

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep thanks guys sure enough inline filer out and now she runs. She only wants to idle if I keep a bit of throttle on. Guess i have some adjustments to make
I also think part of my problem was my tank valve it seems to be only sending enough fuel out when it's set to reserve.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep thanks guys sure enough inline filer out and now she runs. She only wants to idle if I keep a bit of throttle on. Guess i have some adjustments to make

I also think part of my problem was my tank valve it seems to be only sending enough fuel out when it's set to reserve.

If there is one thing I’m sure about is those filters cause issues . The black thumb screw adjusts idle . The petcock could be messed up . I had one that you would have to turn to the right spot in order to flow fuel .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so she's running great and I got to idle nice.took it out for a short run and now it's leaking from the overflow again.just like before the carb rebuild. I thought the seat might be worn out.I polished the seat well when I had it appart and checked that the valve was sealing . Floats not cracked. Anyone had any luck extending their overflow slightly to help push the float up a bit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so broke down the carb and found that the needle valve was sealing well. Took a small piece of tube about 1centemeter long. Pressed it down over the overflow tube extending it's lenght.second time I adjusted it to 4mm and now I have no leak and she idles and runs like a new bike.i don't know if the seat was worn a bit or if the float was distorted. But this has solved my problems. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok so broke down the carb and found that the needle valve was sealing well. Took a small piece of tube about 1centemeter long. Pressed it down over the overflow tube extending it's lenght.second time I adjusted it to 4mm and now I have no leak and she idles and runs like a new bike.i don't know if the seat was worn a bit or if the float was distorted. But this has solved my problems. Thanks for the help

Did you ever check to see if the float has a hole in it ? You shouldn’t have to use something to extend the overflow tube . I bet you are getting crap from the tank stuck in the seat and by taking it apart those couple times you have flushed most of it out by now . I’d be leary of extending the overflow because if the float sticks again you run a higher chance of gas flooding the carb and running into the base

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the float wasnt cracked or leaking
first i lengthened the tube 2mm and had some leaking out the carb bottom
Then put it to 4mm and it doesnt leak and runs very well.
I know i shouldnt have to mod it but it seems like something is worn or distorted
i might try and track down a new float

·
Registered
382 Posts
Should be on the lookout for gas getting into the oil. If the bowl is over-filling, and now the overflow is disabled, gas could run into the cylinder. I'd be religious about turning the petcock off any time the engine isn't running..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts