Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rancher 420 2wd battery was dead and installed new battery and electric shift wont work. Traced to a blown 30 amp fuse to ES. Put new one in blew immediately. Checked voltage at fuse block and it showed 26.8volts.... Please explain how this much voltage comes from a 12 volt system?

Not getting any codes just stuck in neutral.

Thanks in advance, I am also new to this site. I will post what I find wrong in hopes to help others.

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
You sure you read that voltage right?

If a bike is running with a bad voltage regulator you might get substantially more than 12V, but I can't see it being 26.8

Will the bike shift ok with the emergency shifter?

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
Try unplugging the connector on the shift motor on the front of the engine. Then see if it still blows the fuse. Sounds like you have a dead short somewhere. You'll have to start unplugging components until the fuse doesn't blow, then you know where to start looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have re-tested voltage and getting 12.8v I also unplugged regulator and still didn't make test light go out. unplugged angle sensor same thing. On the main 1 fuse 30amp I am getting continuous hot on left hand side of fuse block, however on right side nothing until I turn on key and then it barely lights test light. I am thinking that there shouldn't be any current on right side unless fuse ties the 2 sides together. I am getting this reading without a fuse in?

I will keep tracing but I'm sure someone has had this same problem or am I jinxed ? LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have taking wire harness loose just about everywhere. I can unplug the plug from cdi that goes to shifter motor and test the terminal in cdi and still get 8.95 v feedback coming out of cdi and sending back to fuse block. So I am getting 12.16 coming in and getting 8.95 coming in the exit side if that makes sense. Also should I test the codes running or just key on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
Wiring issues can be tough.

There is a user on Hondaatvforums who goes by Melatv. He is the go-to electrical guy over there. You might post your problem there and tag him in the post and see if he has any suggestions. It's another free forum kinda like this one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok here is the latest:

if I unplug the EFI on bottom of carb my test light goes out?

Also getting a 22 code when that's unplugged. I have taken every plug end apart and sprayed contact cleaner and blown out with air. There is something that is sending a 8.9v back to fuse block on outlet side?

Also fan fuse has only got 8.9v on both sides? Could that be my problem?

Thanks for the input Jeep!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here is the latest:

if I unplug the EFI on bottom of carb my test light goes out?

Also getting a 22 code when that's unplugged. I have taken every plug end apart and sprayed contact cleaner and blown out with air. There is something that is sending a 8.9v back to fuse block on outlet side?

Also fan fuse has only got 8.9v on both sides? Could that be my problem?

Thanks for the input Jeep!!
Found this wire and thought I had it solved but nope not that easy for me...lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:

Here's what I found

Unplugged every plug on bike cleaned and re-connected

Still had a feed back

So I took a big jumper wire and straight wired fuse box ( figured WTH? )

No smoke it shifts like it should, and is working again.

Only thing I can figure is that hooking the juice to it burnt thru a dirty connection??

Time will tell.

Thanks for all your help and replies.

·
Premium Member
6,242 Posts
Glad you posted up what you did and the result.

Electrical stuff is a nightmare, and unless the thing is right in front of someone it's really hard to troubleshoot.

There's one guy over on Hondaatvforums who is an electrical guru, username Melatv, but other than that the rest of us stumble around and hope to get lucky when it comes to electrical gremlins.

It does sound like you had some resistance somewhere in the fuse box. Any chance you have some harbor freight fuses in the there anywhere? I got some cheap Chinese fuses and they wreaked havoc on my fuse box. I had to wire in in-line fuses and bypass the fuse box on a couple of circuits where those **** Chinese fuses ruined the fuse panel.

Glad you got it fixed and running again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you posted up what you did and the result.

Electrical stuff is a nightmare, and unless the thing is right in front of someone it's really hard to troubleshoot.

There's one guy over on Hondaatvforums who is an electrical guru, username Melatv, but other than that the rest of us stumble around and hope to get lucky when it comes to electrical gremlins.

It does sound like you had some resistance somewhere in the fuse box. Any chance you have some harbor freight fuses in the there anywhere? I got some cheap Chinese fuses and they wreaked havoc on my fuse box. I had to wire in in-line fuses and bypass the fuse box on a couple of circuits where those **** Chinese fuses ruined the fuse panel.

Glad you got it fixed and running again!
Thanks it's a stress relief

1 - 12 of 12 Posts