Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several of these quads in the past, and I just traded for a 95 model two wheel drive the other day that needed a rear end. I got it and it ran perfect, then I took the front fender off to put on another one I had that looked better. Then i unhooked the wires and pulled the cables so I could put a new plasctic handle bar cover on it, then I hooked it all back up and didnt think anything about it. Well someone came the other day to trade me an 82 Chevrolet for it and I went to start it for him and it wouldnt start. Its not getting fire, and I checked and cleaned all of the electrical connections and even traded the coil with one off of my other 300 Honda and still nothing, I even did the stick a nail up in the spark plug boot and crank it while holding onto it, lol. I'm stumped on this one

·
Registered
175 Posts
Make sure and check all your ground connections, I had a 01 Rancher that was dead and I checked everything I thought I could off and on for like a week and still no fire. For some reason I came across a ground wire toward the back of the wheeler and checked it and it was all corroded up with rust. I cleaned it real good re-connected it to the frame and it fired right up after that. I sold the four wheeler three years after this happened but never had that problem again.

Tony

·
Registered
175 Posts
I checked all of the connections 50 times trying to figure it out, lol, but I'll go back and check all of my grounds and see if that helps anything
On my 01 Rancher the ground wire I found was on the right side under the rear wheel well, it was a black wire ground to the frame, now I'm not 100% that was the culprit of the problem but it was the very last thing I did before hitting the start button and it fired right up and it never failed to fire up to the day I sold it three years later.:happy

Good Luck

Tony

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I would guess one of the terminals got pushed out of a connector just a little and isn't making contact. Did you have the CDI unhooked?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Ill try it and see what I can find, I havent had time to mess with it recently. I hadnt unhooked the CDI, but I did after it wouldnt fire, and made sure the connections werent corroded. They were fine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went all around it with a test light and everything else was getting power. Then I decided to check the stator, and according to the test light, it's not getting power to that 3-wire plug in. So I'm assuming I have more work ahead of me

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just went all around it with a test light and everything else was getting power. Then I decided to check the stator, and according to the test light, it's not getting power to that 3-wire plug in. So I'm assuming I have more work ahead of me
Which stator test did you do? Usually the pickup coil and stator checks are pretty close in the manual.. The pickup coil should be a 1 or 2 wire check, the three wire check should be your charging circuit which probably isn't doing anything without the engine running.

The pickup coil tells the ignition when it should fire should have nothing to do with the stator output.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I might of done the test wrong, all I did was unhook the round connector with 3 tires in it on the frame rail inbetween the stator and the rectifier. All I did was take a test light and touch it to each of leads on that stator side of the connector and crank the engine over and I didnt get anything.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ok I might of done the test wrong, all I did was unhook the round connector with 3 tires in it on the frame rail inbetween the stator and the rectifier. All I did was take a test light and touch it to each of leads on that stator side of the connector and crank the engine over and I didnt get anything.

That sounds like the charging side test for the stator. The pickup coil wire should be located closer to the engine, if you look at the stator side of the engine there should be a group of wires coming out of the case. The three wires you tested will branch off and run to the regulator, the other wires for the pickup coil should go off toward the main harness/CDI.

If you follow those wires from the engine they should come to a plug, disconnect the plug and usually you check the pick up coil for resistance, ie as you turn over the engine the resistance changes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like the charging side test for the stator. The pickup coil wire should be located closer to the engine, if you look at the stator side of the engine there should be a group of wires coming out of the case. The three wires you tested will branch off and run to the regulator, the other wires for the pickup coil should go off toward the main harness/CDI.

If you follow those wires from the engine they should come to a plug, disconnect the plug and usually you check the pick up coil for resistance, ie as you turn over the engine the resistance changes.

Alright, thanks I appreciate it! I will check and see what I can find when I get home from work this evening, I'll let you know if I find anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts