Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've got a 06 honda rubicon 500 has outlaw 1s 27x9.5x12 front and 27x12x12 rears. Dynojet kit slip on new top end. 2" lift.. reason iam posting about 27" tires is because I have read different things about having 27" or 28" tires on these Ruby's. Some say it's fine if you run it in D2 and low in the mud and dont bag it every where. Some say 27 and 28 inch tires are to much. The outlaws weigh 30.2 lbs up front and 35.4 lbs for the rear. I want to run outlaw mst eventually but am wondering if the 28s would be to much. They weigh 28.5 lbs in the front and 34.5 in the rear. Eventually I'll be getting a GR. But not till next year or year after and dont want to wreck anything more than what I've had to fix since buying this rebuild. Thanks for any info sorry for the long one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Outlaw mst 27x9.5x12 27.2 lbs 27x12x12 31.8 lbs don't matter I'll run either sizes just prefer the bigger tires for ground clearance and the south Sask gumbo.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Look the Maxxis Zillas. You can go up to a 30" and be lighter than 27" LAWS.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 28 outlaw 2's on 12 inch chrome plated steel rims weigh in at 52 front 54.5 rear each. I still have drag raced my buddies 680 and he still lost on his 27's with the aluminum rims. I have not done a GR but it depends how your engine sounds and if it is struggling or not. Other parts will take more abuse if you are running it harder but any upgrade will have potential consequences.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if I like the zillas. I keep hearing and reading they dig a lot and I want the paddle style tire like the outlaws mudbugs gators executioners(heavy). Just concerned with weight and getting into a slough and not being able to get out with out someon else there. I ride alone alot by the farm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 28 outlaw 2's on 12 inch chrome plated steel rims weigh in at 52 front 54.5 rear each. I still have drag raced my buddies 680 and he still lost on his 27's with the aluminum rims. I have not done a GR but it depends how your engine sounds and if it is struggling or not. Other parts will take more abuse if you are running it harder but any upgrade will have potential consequences.
I just put a new top end kit in it all new seals piston valve job cleaned it up and then put a dynojet kit in with a slip on muffler.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My friends and I all run Zillas and never had an issue with digging in. I never got stuck with my 450 even in 2wd.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been able to spin up the tires in thick mud but anything can get stick so having a land anchor and winch would be good in case you do get stuck. The gearing you have will determine how your machine can or not since they are different. The engine is not always the part that breaks it can be axles like I did recently or other parts.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
There is no gear reduction for the 01-14 Rubicons, so you can't really run big tires on them efficiently.

I wouldn't go bigger than a 27 in a heavy tire or a 28 in a light tire.

My footshift 500's are geared very similar to a Rubicon in low range, and I have light 28's (Mudbugs) on my 06 and it really needs a 14.5% gear reduction (which I can do on a footshift, but no such GR for the Hondamatics). I have 27s on my other two footshift 500's, and Basfnb has 27's on his 06 Rubicon.

I would stick with 27's. You won't pull 28's efficiently even with a lightweight tire. I'm not talking about water riding, I'm talking about mud.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've found a gear reduction for it. Just dont want to crack the case just yet. I'll stick to 27" tires. With these hondas In low what's the best tires to choose from for trail mud and some grid. I like the more aggressive tires and am not concerned about ride fell more about performance than anything. How are the swamplites compared to outlaws or outlaw MST

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Swamplites are terrible for mud. Basfnb called his sucklites when he had them.

I would try Mudbugs or Zillas. Mudbugs have a paddle tread like an outlaw but are a lot lighter and cheaper.

Basfnb went from Swamplites to Outlaws and now has Mudbugs.

Have a link to that gear reduction? I've been all over Honda for 10 years now and I've never seen anyone who had a gear reduction for the Hondamatic equipped Rubicons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
28" mudbugs or 27"? I just talked to the guy behind reduction boss on Facebook said it would be around $600 plus core charge or send mine in.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Did you specify that it was for an 01-14 Hondamatic equipped Rubicon, or did you just say Rubicon? Totally different animals.

I would run 27's. I have 28's on one of my bikes and it really needs a GR with the 28's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I told him I had an 06 Rubicon 4x4 auto didnt know to specify that it's a Hondamatic. Cool I'll stick to 27s prob keep the outlaws for now and switch to MSTs. Might look at mudbugs or zillas.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I put 28" zillas on my girlfriends 450 and so far so good, but we havent put it in any thick mud yet. I do have a gear reduction but i havent put it in yet.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I told him I had an 06 Rubicon 4x4 auto didnt know to specify that it's a Hondamatic. Cool I'll stick to 27s prob keep the outlaws for now and switch to MSTs. Might look at mudbugs or zillas.
The new Rubicons have gear driven transmissions. The 01-14 are more like a hydrostat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got ya. Probably doesn't realize I got the gaymatic. Lol i know it's a good quad just dissed about the GR... back to the mudbugs.. best set up skinny wide combo all skinny all wide. What would be the best for these things I know I got buddies who run skinny wide combo and love it and then theres buddies who got 12 wides all around and say they love it so I'm at a toss up.....
Mudbugs but which size I'm sticking with a 27" tire. Just don't know what width.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I have skinny wide. Skinny/ skinny sucked bad in the mud. Front tires dug a trench and rear tires didn't have anything to bite on so I ended up sitting on the frame.

I'm running 10 wides front, 12 wides rear, Basfnb has 8 wides front, 12 wides rear.

All wides wouldn't be fun on trail riding. I guess you could do it on a mud bike.

If you ride water the wides make you float, which means if you don't have good balance you roll over and sink your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 28" swamp lites on my rancher and it doesn't have a problem turning them. But i still hate them, when the rear end breaks loose on a hill or while pulling a log it bounces a lot. I'm going to get me a nice set of mud lites.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right on thanks for the input skinny wide combo it is. Wish they made the mudbugs in a XL version for deeper lugs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts