Honda Foreman Forums banner

2021 Rubicon 520 SHIFT PROBLEMS

43K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  marioleos01 
#1 ·
Starting this thread to address the shift problems in my brand new 2021 Rubicon 520 brought into the dealership last week looking to hear from them in the next few

Gonna post updates as they come as i've heard I'm not the only one with these issues.

Cheers

#5 ·
That's correct, mostly used in automatic depending on the terrain. All of a sudden while riding for long periods of time my screen would display '-' flashing 5 long and two short dashes. Upon trying to either downshift or switch to manual transmission nothing would happen, the code would constantly flash and if the bike was turned off it would not start again given that it thought it was out of gear. Would have to let the bike sit for about half an hour before the N would pop back up (I've tried disconnecting the battery and it doesn't reset the system in this case) A few times on acceleration it would bog down quite a bit after just being started. This machine has left me stranded for a total of about 3 hours in the span of 8 months just waiting for it to kick back into neutral. I've tested the bank angle sensor and it seems to be in place, don't think it could be the TPS either but who knows.

Shouldn't be long till I get the full diagnostic.

#6 ·
The bike displays a code 52 , 5 long and 2 short dashes '-'... doesn't know which gear it is in while driving sometimes and displays the code.. when the bike is turned off while displaying the code it cannot be turned back on for about 20 30 minutes before it displays N again... a real pain in the ass since there is no foot shifter. The dealer I brought it to up North said they will put a foot shifter on, highly.recommend as all my troubles would have been avoided had I had one (given that there isn't a bigger issue, updates to come)

#4 ·
Seems to affect 2020 and 2021 models.

#7 ·
Hello all,
We purchased 2 new 2020 Rubicons Deluxe in Oct of 2019, and we have not had a single shifting issue until we hit the approx 500 mile mark. Since then, we have only had this issue twice, and only in Auto, and the dealership that we purchased from was very good, checked them both out, and could not find anything. They did suggest to dump the original Honda motor oil, and put in the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 Full Synthetic. My wife's machine has been sitting all winter, but I have put on just over 300 miles on mine, since changing the oil out, and so far so good. Also starts much easier in cold weather, and seems to shift much smoother. Not sure if this is a short term fix, but so far, it sure made a difference on mine
Cheers

#8 ·
Any updates from the dealer? I am still waiting the arrive of my 2021 Rubicon Deluxe DCT. Getting a little worried now with this issue. Another YouTuber with the same machine said it's happened twice over the last year, but for him, he only has to shut the ignition for a few moments and the issue goes away.

#9 ·
UPDATE MAY 2021

There has been a recall on the software that runs the electronics in the bike. The dealership had to do a full flash reset on the system and they also reinstalled a new neutral switch. Took it out for 6 hours yesterday and she ran like a top. Seems to be fixed.

#13 ·
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have a 2021 Honda DCT EPS ATV. I have been having the same issues as I have read on here since the first time I drove my new atv. Started off working great in auto. Started using it in ESP mode and it was shifting good. After approximately 15-20 mins of riding it failed with a dash on the display and felt like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. Dash flashed 2 slow and two fast flashes. Turned key off and back on and could here it shift back into Neutral. It has happened almost every time I have used it in ESP mode and the turning key off and back on gets it back to neutral. Couple times I had to turn key off and on twice. Took to dealer. They replaced the angle sensor and said it should be good to go. First ride after 15 minutes same issue happened again. Dash this time was 5 slow and 7 fast. Videod and sent to dealer. Had to take it back and they replaced the PCM(computer) and installed the new software. So I’m hoping the new PCM has fixed the problem. I am picking it up tomorrow and will try it out again and update next week. And just to mention I called Honda Canada and informed them what was going on with my brand new machine and they called the dealer and gave me a case # and said it was a good idea to call them and start a case number to keep everything on file. Hope this helps some of you having the same issues.

#17 ·
Hello. I had the update done and I cannot believe the difference in the shifting. So smooth compared to how it shifted before. Had it out for a couple hours and ran perfectly so far. Only thing that worries me now is if any damage that may have been done to the gear box with how it was shifting previously. Big difference with the update. If you haven’t had this done, get on it!! I will send another update when I get a chance to go for a good long rip.

#19 ·
Hi All,

In the process of buying a new 21 Ruby Deluxe w/DCT...Based on what I have read, I am concerned and heavily considering. Suzuki KQ 500...From what I have gleaned from this site, it appears that most troubles go away after flashing the ECM. Is this true?

Should one also expect the dealer to have this latest update or would that be part of a recall?
TIA

#20 ·
My 2021 DCT EPS was having issues and shifting really hard. Got the proper update done and it now runs amazing. Shifts super smoot and no issues with it getting stuck in gear. So just make sure the latest software is installed and you should be good! Awesome bike when it’s shifting properly!

#23 ·
Update
I wish I had a good update to share with everyone but I don’t. I had the new software installed. It shifted really smooth and seemed to be running really good. Drove it for approximately 250 kms with the new update, and it happened again. This time driving in auto it felt like it wouldn’t shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear. The display still showed a D and not a flashing dash like previously. Stopped and put in neutral. Turned machine off. Back on and shifted it to D. Atv would only inch forward a bit and then just rev high. Would not move. Took back to the dealer AGAIN and called Honda Canada. Dealer dropped the oil out and checked oil filter and said was lots of metal shavings found. Said Honda Canada told them they have to tear everything apart and see what is damaged. So the bad feeling I had of what kind of damaged could have occurred when it was shifting improperly with the bad software was right. There is definite damage done. I am now waiting to hear from Honda Mediation as the case has been passed onto them because I am requesting a replacement atv and do not want to keep the atv they have to tear apart to see what’s wrong. Was told it will take 7-10 days to hear from them so back to not having a quad to drive for who knows how long. I am a new atv buyer and wish I never chose to go with a Honda. Been an awful experience so far considering how everyone talks like Honda is so reliable and the way to go. I’ve had to take it to the dealer 5 times now and it was purchased brand new early April. The dealer I’m dealing with has been very good and is trying to help and make this right so I hope he pulls through and finds me a replacement that doesn’t have the issues this one has had. I will send another update when I hear back from Honda Canada. If you have had the issues I had previously I strongly recommend telling your dealer and Honda Canada that you want the gearbox/transmission checked because of the bad software shifting that was happening before. Good luck to all having these issues. If I could go back I would not buy a Honda as this has been nothing but a huge pain in the A$$!

#25 ·
Mine is a 17 and does the same thing. Honestly I would be more happy with the ES shift system or maybe a foot shift. Honda’s auto is not my favorite system. But with this said I took it in for service in April and I think they did some sort of adjustment or software update as it seems to hold gears now a little longer which I like (doesn’t hunt for a gear as much) and hasn’t done what your describing anymore. I have only put 20-25 miles on it since but so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#26 ·
Just adding my 2cents/personal experience. My wife's 2021 DCT Ruby ran fine since I bought it back in Feb, very pleased with the machine. After reading about Software update, I called Honda, and they said to get the software updated while still under Warranty, though nothing was wrong with machine. Wife took it up yesterday, said she doesn't notice any real difference in shifting. Like I said, machine ran like a top before update. The update took almost 1.5 hrs to complete. Honda recommends getting the update to prevent less wear and tear on clutches/parts. After I get home this weekend and take it out, I'll update you guys.

#27 ·
I can believe the less wear and tear comment. Before the software update mine was constantly shifting up and down like hunting for the right gear. Now it’s much more satisfied with current gear and much slower before it up shifts. I would say changes now 25-30% less now than it did before which I like a lot. Seems to stay more in the power band as well. For those that like the engine to idle while in gear probably won’t like the new programming.

#29 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the PCM update? Took it in for the first service and mentioned in auto it seemed to really need to think about shifting and the rpms would get quite high before shifting and the shift would be clunky. They said they would update the PCM under warranty. Got it back and took it for a ride and it is worse - rpms get unbelievably high before shifting and during the shift it pretty much bogs down.

#30 ·
I bought a 2020 Rubicon DCT and at about 500 miles started having shifting problems (5 long and 2 short dashes). Over 7 months the dealer first replaced ECM, then the neutral sensor, then the whole transmission. Got it back and rode it for 100 miles staying close to home. Got the PCM update rode it for about 50 miles. Took it on a trip for deer hunting, the first morning of the hunt the ATV would not go into gear had the same issue 5 long and 2 short dashes. Took it back to the dealer I bought it from and told them give me my money back or a new machine. They said they could do neither but could give me a great deal on a trade in for a foot shift. I took the deal in two weeks I have put 160 miles on it and I am very happy with it. A lot of people have the DCT and don't have any issues, but I will never buy another automatic.

#31 ·
Yeah it’s unfortunate. Honda in the past was a really great company offering top shelf reliability but in past 10 years has been just slightly if any above average. They act like DCT is the next big thing when it’s not. I would much rather have Yamahas belt drive automatic vs DCT. My Foreman DCT is ok but seems to never be in the gear you want it to be in. For this reason I normally run in manual mode. But if I’m going to run in manual I would rather just have the standard transmission. Kinda a disappointment and will never have another.

Honda cara are same way. We’ve been a huge Honda family for 20 plus years now. But it all started in 2007 with me and my Honda accord. Lost the transmission at 140k and then the paint started just flaking off car. Just way to many silly issues. Then my parents had a 2010, 2014 2018 Honda Pilots. Only one worth any account was the 2010. Others have had several issues. Disappointing for sure to see Honda go this route.

#33 ·
Why do people keep buying the more expensive DCT instead of the foot shift? The foot shift runs forever...mystery to me why you would buy an automatic...

#34 ·
Well my 2000 450 ES is living proof that ES does work. I use that machine as a skidder for pulling wood. If I should have a shift issue, turning the key off then on it is back in business. This rarely happens. This is why I got the 2020 Rubicon. I am having trouble with shifting and starting. I hope I can get it working right. After all it's a Honda. It should be a good machine.

#37 ·
I have a 2021 eps, irs, dct 4x4 and it had th 52 code issue about 2 months ago. Dealer had it for 3 weeks and found nothing but flashed the new software. Ran like a champ! Today, same issue appeared and I'm down again. I had to dig out the 97 recon 250 to pull what is now labeled as the trailer queen.
Back to the dealership tomorrow to see what the deal is now. Going to start a case number with honda. Btw....the dealership said the software flashing was a "update" not a recall. If I didn't take it in for this problem I would have never known. This is some serious bullshit. Dealership said to call in periodically with VIN number so they can check for "updates ".
I bought a Honda because I wanted a transmission and wished I had not purchased the electronic shifting option. What a huge disappointment.

The 97 recond 250 carburetor, manual shifting runs like a top. We use the rancher everyday on our property and now we're down a machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.