Honda Foreman Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
My wife only has 60+miles on her 2021 Ruby DCT, can she expect these shift problems down the road? Right now machine shifts smooth as glass, only thing done to it so far, was initial break in oil change at 50miles.

Update
I wish I had a good update to share with everyone but I don’t. I had the new software installed. It shifted really smooth and seemed to be running really good. Drove it for approximately 250 kms with the new update, and it happened again. This time driving in auto it felt like it wouldn’t shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear. The display still showed a D and not a flashing dash like previously. Stopped and put in neutral. Turned machine off. Back on and shifted it to D. Atv would only inch forward a bit and then just rev high. Would not move. Took back to the dealer AGAIN and called Honda Canada. Dealer dropped the oil out and checked oil filter and said was lots of metal shavings found. Said Honda Canada told them they have to tear everything apart and see what is damaged. So the bad feeling I had of what kind of damaged could have occurred when it was shifting improperly with the bad software was right. There is definite damage done. I am now waiting to hear from Honda Mediation as the case has been passed onto them because I am requesting a replacement atv and do not want to keep the atv they have to tear apart to see what’s wrong. Was told it will take 7-10 days to hear from them so back to not having a quad to drive for who knows how long. I am a new atv buyer and wish I never chose to go with a Honda. Been an awful experience so far considering how everyone talks like Honda is so reliable and the way to go. I’ve had to take it to the dealer 5 times now and it was purchased brand new early April. The dealer I’m dealing with has been very good and is trying to help and make this right so I hope he pulls through and finds me a replacement that doesn’t have the issues this one has had. I will send another update when I hear back from Honda Canada. If you have had the issues I had previously I strongly recommend telling your dealer and Honda Canada that you want the gearbox/transmission checked because of the bad software shifting that was happening before. Good luck to all having these issues. If I could go back I would not buy a Honda as this has been nothing but a huge pain in the A$$!

Update
I wish I had a good update to share with everyone but I don’t. I had the new software installed. It shifted really smooth and seemed to be running really good. Drove it for approximately 250 kms with the new update, and it happened again. This time driving in auto it felt like it wouldn’t shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear. The display still showed a D and not a flashing dash like previously. Stopped and put in neutral. Turned machine off. Back on and shifted it to D. Atv would only inch forward a bit and then just rev high. Would not move. Took back to the dealer AGAIN and called Honda Canada. Dealer dropped the oil out and checked oil filter and said was lots of metal shavings found. Said Honda Canada told them they have to tear everything apart and see what is damaged. So the bad feeling I had of what kind of damaged could have occurred when it was shifting improperly with the bad software was right. There is definite damage done. I am now waiting to hear from Honda Mediation as the case has been passed onto them because I am requesting a replacement atv and do not want to keep the atv they have to tear apart to see what’s wrong. Was told it will take 7-10 days to hear from them so back to not having a quad to drive for who knows how long. I am a new atv buyer and wish I never chose to go with a Honda. Been an awful experience so far considering how everyone talks like Honda is so reliable and the way to go. I’ve had to take it to the dealer 5 times now and it was purchased brand new early April. The dealer I’m dealing with has been very good and is trying to help and make this right so I hope he pulls through and finds me a replacement that doesn’t have the issues this one has had. I will send another update when I hear back from Honda Canada. If you have had the issues I had previously I strongly recommend telling your dealer and Honda Canada that you want the gearbox/transmission checked because of the bad software shifting that was happening before. Good luck to all having these issues. If I could go back I would not buy a Honda as this has been nothing but a huge pain in the A$$!
If you would have bought a foot shift, you would still be out riding..... I personally would never buy an automatic.

Mine is a 17 and does the same thing. Honestly I would be more happy with the ES shift system or maybe a foot shift. Honda’s auto is not my favorite system. But with this said I took it in for service in April and I think they did some sort of adjustment or software update as it seems to hold gears now a little longer which I like (doesn’t hunt for a gear as much) and hasn’t done what your describing anymore. I have only put 20-25 miles on it since but so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just adding my 2cents/personal experience. My wife's 2021 DCT Ruby ran fine since I bought it back in Feb, very pleased with the machine. After reading about Software update, I called Honda, and they said to get the software updated while still under Warranty, though nothing was wrong with machine. Wife took it up yesterday, said she doesn't notice any real difference in shifting. Like I said, machine ran like a top before update. The update took almost 1.5 hrs to complete. Honda recommends getting the update to prevent less wear and tear on clutches/parts. After I get home this weekend and take it out, I'll update you guys.

I can believe the less wear and tear comment. Before the software update mine was constantly shifting up and down like hunting for the right gear. Now it’s much more satisfied with current gear and much slower before it up shifts. I would say changes now 25-30% less now than it did before which I like a lot. Seems to stay more in the power band as well. For those that like the engine to idle while in gear probably won’t like the new programming.

UPDATE. Rode the Rubicon tonight after the Soffware Update, VERY noticeable improvement in Auto Mode, EXTREME improvement in EPS Mode. Machine doesn't "clunk" when shifting now, in both auto/eps modes. This is a MUST HAVE UPDATE, like Honda said it was.

Has anyone else had issues with the PCM update? Took it in for the first service and mentioned in auto it seemed to really need to think about shifting and the rpms would get quite high before shifting and the shift would be clunky. They said they would update the PCM under warranty. Got it back and took it for a ride and it is worse - rpms get unbelievably high before shifting and during the shift it pretty much bogs down.

I bought a 2020 Rubicon DCT and at about 500 miles started having shifting problems (5 long and 2 short dashes). Over 7 months the dealer first replaced ECM, then the neutral sensor, then the whole transmission. Got it back and rode it for 100 miles staying close to home. Got the PCM update rode it for about 50 miles. Took it on a trip for deer hunting, the first morning of the hunt the ATV would not go into gear had the same issue 5 long and 2 short dashes. Took it back to the dealer I bought it from and told them give me my money back or a new machine. They said they could do neither but could give me a great deal on a trade in for a foot shift. I took the deal in two weeks I have put 160 miles on it and I am very happy with it. A lot of people have the DCT and don't have any issues, but I will never buy another automatic.

Yeah it’s unfortunate. Honda in the past was a really great company offering top shelf reliability but in past 10 years has been just slightly if any above average. They act like DCT is the next big thing when it’s not. I would much rather have Yamahas belt drive automatic vs DCT. My Foreman DCT is ok but seems to never be in the gear you want it to be in. For this reason I normally run in manual mode. But if I’m going to run in manual I would rather just have the standard transmission. Kinda a disappointment and will never have another.

Honda cara are same way. We’ve been a huge Honda family for 20 plus years now. But it all started in 2007 with me and my Honda accord. Lost the transmission at 140k and then the paint started just flaking off car. Just way to many silly issues. Then my parents had a 2010, 2014 2018 Honda Pilots. Only one worth any account was the 2010. Others have had several issues. Disappointing for sure to see Honda go this route.

I took delivery of my 2021 Rubicon Deluxe on Memorial Day weekend. Does anyone know if this affects ALL 2021’s or if after a certain VIN, they came from the factory with the update? Thanks.

Why do people keep buying the more expensive DCT instead of the foot shift? The foot shift runs forever...mystery to me why you would buy an automatic...

Why do people keep buying the more expensive DCT instead of the foot shift? The foot shift runs forever...mystery to me why you would buy an automatic...
Well my 2000 450 ES is living proof that ES does work. I use that machine as a skidder for pulling wood. If I should have a shift issue, turning the key off then on it is back in business. This rarely happens. This is why I got the 2020 Rubicon. I am having trouble with shifting and starting. I hope I can get it working right. After all it's a Honda. It should be a good machine.

I have a 2021 eps, irs, dct 4x4 and it had th 52 code issue about 2 months ago. Dealer had it for 3 weeks and found nothing but flashed the new software. Ran like a champ! Today, same issue appeared and I'm down again. I had to dig out the 97 recon 250 to pull what is now labeled as the trailer queen.
Back to the dealership tomorrow to see what the deal is now. Going to start a case number with honda. Btw....the dealership said the software flashing was a "update" not a recall. If I didn't take it in for this problem I would have never known. This is some serious bullshit. Dealership said to call in periodically with VIN number so they can check for "updates ".
I bought a Honda because I wanted a transmission and wished I had not purchased the electronic shifting option. What a huge disappointment.

The 97 recond 250 carburetor, manual shifting runs like a top. We use the rancher everyday on our property and now we're down a machine.

If you would have bought a foot shift, you would still be out riding..... I personally would never buy an automatic.
Did you ever have issues with your manual shift? Especially first thing in the morning? I have a 2021 Honda Foreman TRX 520 with a manual foot shift. It seems no matter how long I let it idle or warm up (30 mins one time) when I hop and go it will not shift gears. I have to reach down and pull up with all my might for it to change. Once it goes though its fine. Until I stop and go for a hike or post up and glass for a bit. Then I return and it has cooled down, and go through it all over again. I know squat about bikes, took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong. Next time out same thing. Super frustrating. I even tried beginning in different gears. Is it a gear box temp issue? Needs to be warmer?
I bought the manual shift on purpose because of the auto issues but I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to drive a brand new ATV. Hope anyone can share their thoughts. Thanks so much.

The manual shift quad just runs. Even if it's cold. I try to wait for it to heat up, but impatience usually prevents warm up. Never had a problem with the manual shift.

If you're having those problems, find a different dealer or ask around to find out who left the dealer and started their own service shop.

Did you ever have issues with your manual shift? Especially first thing in the morning? I have a 2021 Honda Foreman TRX 520 with a manual foot shift. It seems no matter how long I let it idle or warm up (30 mins one time) when I hop and go it will not shift gears. I have to reach down and pull up with all my might for it to change. Once it goes though its fine. Until I stop and go for a hike or post up and glass for a bit. Then I return and it has cooled down, and go through it all over again. I know squat about bikes, took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong. Next time out same thing. Super frustrating. I even tried beginning in different gears. Is it a gear box temp issue? Needs to be warmer?
I bought the manual shift on purpose because of the auto issues but I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to drive a brand new ATV. Hope anyone can share their thoughts. Thanks so much.
It gets easier after it's broke in. Change to a synthetic oil, I use Rotella T-6

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.