Honda Foreman Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Rubicon that is just out of warranty and is now starting to experienced this exact issue. Frustrating, but glad to see that I'm not alone and it sounds like a software update may take care of it. I'll be calling the dealer today and hope they have heard of this but if not they will be getting a print out of all the comments here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine which is a 2020 Honda rubicon Dct only had one issue which is I was driving it then I noticed it wouldn’t shift at all and was stuck in a gear and it had the line across the place that says what gear your in so I stopped and turned it off and back on then it came back on like normal but it still wasn’t shifting right.
My 2020 EPs dct also did this and now won't stay in fifth gear, like it wants to go back in fourth gear then stays in fifth over and over. Is there a software update recall in NY. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dropped my '21 Rubicon off at dealer today for it's 20hr/100 mile service and discussed this with the service manager about the shifting issues I have had. He said the tech is aware of the software upgrade and will install it!!!

I am in Northern NY, not far from Canada. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I talked to Honda America yesterday and there is a ECM software update on the 2020 Rubicon 520 DCT! I have to get a appointment to get it done but will post results when it is!🤘😎

·
Registered
19 Posts
I talked to Honda America yesterday and there is a ECM software update on the 2020 Rubicon 520 DCT! I have to get a appointment to get it done but will post results when it is!🤘😎
There is a service bulletin for this, here in Canada as of March 30 / 2021. Its bulletin # iii-1-21 for a complete software re-flash / update, N/C under warranty. We haven't taken ours in yet, but from what I'm hearing, it works perfectly.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jimmy, do you have any more info from Honda America? I've tried two different dealers here and neither has heard about this. And when I gave the bulletin # Chaz provided above they didn't find anything. My issue is sporadic and I doubt they they'll be able to recreate the problem if I take it in and since I'm out of warranty (just barely) I don't want to pay for a bunch of fruitless diagnostic efforts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, I just got my '21 Rubicon back from dealer with update installed. Only took it for a short spin and seems a bit smoother, but really to soon to tell.

I spoke to the service manager and he told me the list of '20&'21 bikes this is for. He said when your dealer plugs into the computer on the models it should come up on his screen about the bulletin!

Good luck and I'll keep you posted as I get some miles on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been using mine all afternoon towing my garden cart with topsoil fixing holes and dead spots in the lawn. Used both high and low ranges and both auto and ESP mode and worked smooth as silk. I can see a difference and I didn't have any malfunctions as of yet.👍🏻🤞

·
Registered
2021 Honda DCT EPS
9 Posts
Hello. I had the update done and I cannot believe the difference in the shifting. So smooth compared to how it shifted before. Had it out for a couple hours and ran perfectly so far. Only thing that worries me now is if any damage that may have been done to the gear box with how it was shifting previously. Big difference with the update. If you haven’t had this done, get on it!! I will send another update when I get a chance to go for a good long rip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 120 miles on the updated shift map and it continues to work flawlessly. I have tried everything to get it to throw the error code and cannot get it to act up. Before getting the update, I could get it to throw an error code on command. What a difference.

·
Registered
2021 Honda DCT EPS
9 Posts
Update
I wish I had a good update to share with everyone but I don’t. I had the new software installed. It shifted really smooth and seemed to be running really good. Drove it for approximately 250 kms with the new update, and it happened again. This time driving in auto it felt like it wouldn’t shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear. The display still showed a D and not a flashing dash like previously. Stopped and put in neutral. Turned machine off. Back on and shifted it to D. Atv would only inch forward a bit and then just rev high. Would not move. Took back to the dealer AGAIN and called Honda Canada. Dealer dropped the oil out and checked oil filter and said was lots of metal shavings found. Said Honda Canada told them they have to tear everything apart and see what is damaged. So the bad feeling I had of what kind of damaged could have occurred when it was shifting improperly with the bad software was right. There is definite damage done. I am now waiting to hear from Honda Mediation as the case has been passed onto them because I am requesting a replacement atv and do not want to keep the atv they have to tear apart to see what’s wrong. Was told it will take 7-10 days to hear from them so back to not having a quad to drive for who knows how long. I am a new atv buyer and wish I never chose to go with a Honda. Been an awful experience so far considering how everyone talks like Honda is so reliable and the way to go. I’ve had to take it to the dealer 5 times now and it was purchased brand new early April. The dealer I’m dealing with has been very good and is trying to help and make this right so I hope he pulls through and finds me a replacement that doesn’t have the issues this one has had. I will send another update when I hear back from Honda Canada. If you have had the issues I had previously I strongly recommend telling your dealer and Honda Canada that you want the gearbox/transmission checked because of the bad software shifting that was happening before. Good luck to all having these issues. If I could go back I would not buy a Honda as this has been nothing but a huge pain in the A$$!

·
Registered
2021 Honda DCT EPS
9 Posts
Update
After lots of back and forth with the dealer and Honda Canada I finally got through to them and the dealer provided me with a brand new machine. We worked out an agreement that I was happy with after considering I put 1140 kms on it. I received my new bike and it is running and shifting perfectly so far. I made sure they had the new software installed and it shifts super smooth. Hope anyone having these issues got the software update because it makes a world of difference. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 on the software update, the bike shifts way smoother and at better speeds. Honda Canada is out to lunch with this update and customer service is horrible. Even after my bike was experiencing all these problems they still insisted there was no recall or service bulletin associated with my serial number. It took a call from a different dealer to the mechanic support line at Honda to point them in the right direction. There is a flash update. They will drop the oil and filter and check for debris. If they find any they will split the engine and check/replace the parts as required. If you leave it long enough it will do damage. Mine was clean (only 300km) but we shall see. It took me almost a year to get this sorted out and just before the warranty expired, multiple trips to the dealer and phone calls to Honda. I’m not very impressed with all of this, considering it started doing this the first week I brought it home and here we are a year later. I won’t be buying another Honda because of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brock A... What wording did you use to get the machine replaced? Mine is still acting up even after the recent software fix (which did make the shifting smoother but still threw the error within 5 minutes) and they want to tear the transmission apart then have it sit for 2 months while they wait for backordered parts (service managers words).

I'm in NB so whatever you did with Honda Canada would be an approach I'd like to try.

·
Registered
2021 Honda DCT EPS
9 Posts
I basically told them I was not happy with them tearing apart my brand new machine and was not going to accept it. My dealer was really good and understanding with it all and he helped persue a new bike instead of trying to repair it. It was not easy and was a lot of back and forth with Honda Canada and the dealer but they finally agreed, and we came to an agreement in the end. And couldn’t be happier now. I also told them how many days my bike was down for and what the cost of an atv rental is per day. I sent my dealer 3 different quotes. Not sure if that helped or not but thought I would share.
Good luck!
Brock A... What wording did you use to get the machine replaced? Mine is still acting up even after the recent software fix (which did make the shifting smoother but still threw the error within 5 minutes) and they want to tear the transmission apart then have it sit for 2 months while they wait for backordered parts (service managers words).

I'm in NB so whatever you did with Honda Canada would be an approach I'd like to try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just an update on my bike (2020 trx520FA6L) with the problem: I saw others were getting the ecm update and having positive results so I contacted my dealer and they looked it up and indeed they had the update info. I took it in this afternoon and they first checked the codes. It pulled:

21-1 Shift spindle angle sensor voltage low
51-1 TR sensor voltage low
57-2 Gear position malfunction jumped out of gear
27-1 Shift drum position malfunction

My bike has 40 hours / 544 miles on it currently. There was no indicator lights showing there were any codes. I just get the occasional missed shift and the gear indicator blinks with no ability to downshift. After turning the key off and back on it downshifts fine and runs again.

So the ecm update was listed as PUD-SHIFTING IMPROVEMENT in their system and that is what is listed on my invoice. There was no charge and it took about 8 minutes or so to flash the bike. All codes were cleared. The tech took the bike around their lot for a few minutes and then rechecked it and no codes came up. My initial impression after 10 minutes of riding is WOW what a difference. It always had clunky shifting and sometimes would hesitate for a moment as it locked in the next gear. Often it was a hard shift especially the automatic downshifting. In my test today everything shifted like butter. Like how you would expect it to. I think they must have changed something in how the dct slips from one gear to the next or something along those lines. Like before it was trying to shift too fast and just tried to jam it in there and now it feels like a smoother transition. Unfortunately its 30F here and my toys will be in storage until next spring so I won't get to really put it through the tests until then. Hopefully there isn't any damage done to the tranny from the original ecm code.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts