Honda Foreman Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I am new to this forum as Hondas rarely need a forum to discuss issues.

I have a 2015 foreman 500 with over 2000 kms on it and thankfully not a single issue. I just bought a new 2020 rubicon deluxe 520 EPS DCT... all the bells and whistles as a birthday present for the wife. From brand new, literally right off the trailer had issues going into reverse with the new actuation procedure. I thought it was me, but apparently not. Next, after the usual break in and babying the machine, the transmission shift was starting to act up. At first only on start up, would not go into gear. The standard line [-] on the LCD display. Get off and rock back and forth and typically your on your way. Yesterday, my boys took the machines out and the new one, the 2020 during riding wouldn't shift at all (was stuck in 3rd or 4 - whatever gear you would be in going 25-30 km/h). Was dangerous, my son almost flipped the machine - looking at the display [-] and not paying attention. He pulled over when it was safe to do so, turned the machine off. He then tried to turn it on, transmission was clicking and no success getting it into gear. Rocked back and forth and finally after 3 tries got it working again. Another 15 minutes of riding and it did it again. Exactly the same symptom - during riding would not shift at all - stuck in a particular gear. the weird thing is there are no codes to account for this. I have called the dealership but allegedly without codes they cant help. I am very frustrated. First: has anyone experienced this, and second, can anyone help with a call to action?

I love the Hondas but this fault is very dangerous. Frankly, I am shocked that the ECM/ECU cannot detect faults in situations like this. I would expect that the Honda Engineers would capture this type of fault in the firmware of the machine. The logic is simple and the feedback loop is trivial. Why can't they simply call a warning (speed sensor, shift command, shift verification)? Makes no sense to me.

Can anyone please help?

Same issue I have had with exact same bike since the day I bought it. Has had 3 motors all under warranty but now no warranty and dealership can't find anything wrong with it. I have issues going out riding where the bike just about stops halfway up a hill to figure out what gear it should be in. When plowing the driveway and I try to go from reverse to drive it just get a - on the dash and won't do crap. Push it back and forth and eventually goes into neutral. Love Honda or should I say uses to love Honda but this bike has completely ruined it for me. Have you been able to get an answer on what the real problem is with these hunks of crap?

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have a 2015 foreman 500 with over 2000 kms on it and thankfully not a single issue. I just bought a new 2020 rubicon deluxe 520 EPS DCT... all the bells and whistles as a birthday present for the wife. From brand new, literally right off the trailer had issues going into reverse with the new actuation procedure. I thought it was me, but apparently not. Next, after the usual break in and babying the machine, the transmission shift was starting to act up. At first only on start up, would not go into gear. The standard line [-] on the LCD display. Get off and rock back and forth and typically your on your way. Yesterday, my boys took the machines out and the new one, the 2020 during riding wouldn't shift at all (was stuck in 3rd or 4 - whatever gear you would be in going 25-30 km/h). Was dangerous, my son almost flipped the machine - looking at the display [-] and not paying attention. He pulled over when it was safe to do so, turned the machine off. He then tried to turn it on, transmission was clicking and no success getting it into gear. Rocked back and forth and finally after 3 tries got it working again. Another 15 minutes of riding and it did it again. Exactly the same symptom - during riding would not shift at all - stuck in a particular gear. the weird thing is there are no codes to account for this. I have called the dealership but allegedly without codes they cant help. I am very frustrated. First: has anyone experienced this, and second, can anyone help with a call to action?

I love the Hondas but this fault is very dangerous. Frankly, I am shocked that the ECM/ECU cannot detect faults in situations like this. I would expect that the Honda Engineers would capture this type of fault in the firmware of the machine. The logic is simple and the feedback loop is trivial. Why can't they simply call a warning (speed sensor, shift command, shift verification)? Makes no sense to me.

Can anyone please help?
Yea had same problem with mine I took my into dealer they took all gear box in bits found that the selector fingers was rubbing on the gears and had worn both renewed all bits still not right they said Honda new they had a problem and until they come up with a solution they can't sort it. We have had Honda for 30 odd years really pissed off with honda rang area rep to complain but no reply thinking of trading for a different make

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum as well. Just bought a 2021 rubicon EPS DCT two weeks ago and I'm having shifting issues as well, in the esp mode. I have 75 miles on it and it has done it about a dozen times. It all of a sudden won't let me shift and the gear position on the screen will be blank. I end up stopping and turning the machine off. When I turn the key back in the on position I get the transmission clicking and a code flashing. After rocking it back in forth it ends up back in neutral starts up and everything is all good and back to normal, until it does it again at some point. Very frustrated! Called dealership and they told them about it and they said I would have to leave it there for at least a week because they are not sure when they can take a look at it. Not very happy! Gonna trade it for a foot shift if I can find one because I can't trust this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those of you that we're having issues with shifting on a 2020 or 2021 Rubicon DCT, has there been any changes since you last posted? Are you still having the same issues or did things correct themselves with added mileage on your machine? Any news from your dealers regarding info from Honda?
Had my bike out today. 2020 rubicon deluxe. Driving on a trail around 40km/hr then its like it went into neutral. Slipped out of gear. From nova scotia canada. Hoping someone found a cure. Been driving hondas since i was a kid. Hate to switch

·
Registered
8 Posts

Can anyone please help?
Yes. This is exactly the same as what I got when I took back to the dealer this week. . Apparently the dealers cannot fix without a code. I simply can’t accept this. I am hoping that this is a programming issue however from my experience there is a sensor that does not reliably feed into the required logic. I think it’s time to call Honda Canada.
Boys I can't believe my eyes, we all have the EXACT same story here. Something isn't right and I don't like it. Paying for this piece of junk and can't even go out and ride it. Called Honda Canada and they said there's nothing they could do but have me take it into a dealership to run another diagnostic. But my guess if they won't be able to reduplicate again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a new 2020 Rubicon, and with about 20km on it started doing the exact same thing mentioned above. It all started with the shift indicator disappearing and a code flashing. The first one was 22 (2 long blinks 2 short) and the quad would be stuck in whatever gear it was in. The first time I turned it off and on but the bike was stuck in gear and would not go into neutral to start. I rocked it back and forth and finally got it to start. The dealer said put new battery in it so I did. It kept doing it so off it went to the dealer and sat there all hunting season waiting for the angle sensor. It was replaced and they said it was good to go. Well, yesterday it happened again and it seems to be the same problem but now it is flashing 57 (5 long blinks 7 short). Now they want to replace a shift position actuator (I think that’s what he said)? I think there’s more to the story here with all these new bikes having the same problem. Mine has 200k on it now and the warranty will be expiring soon. Not very impressed, I think it’s time to call Honda Canada and cause a stink.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks my family are a honda dealer in scotland. Your problem is the software to run the gears properly. Honda has introduced a software update that cures the problem . If not caught right away it damages the gearbox and will require a full strip down and rebuild. Honda should foit the bill for it. Getbto your dealer and get the software update done asap. It can be done in your garage home work or farm. Like i said if not caught quick enough and up dated damage will be done. Good luck guys and hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks my family are a honda dealer in scotland. Your problem is the software to run the gears properly. Honda has introduced a software update that cures the problem . If not caught right away it damages the gearbox and will require a full strip down and rebuild. Honda should foit the bill for it. Getbto your dealer and get the software update done asap. It can be done in your garage home work or farm. Like i said if not caught quick enough and up dated damage will be done. Good luck guys and hope this helps.
What is the software update called? Does it have a specific name so we can ask our Honda dealer for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the software update called? Does it have a specific name so we can ask our Honda dealer for it?
*UPDATE MAY 2021 *

Correct, there has been a recall on the software that runs the electronics in the bike. The dealership had to do a full flash reset on the system and they also reinstalled a new neutral switch. Took it out for 6 hours yesterday and she ran like a top. Seems to be fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it seems there's no recall in Canada for my 2020 Rubicon 520 Deluxe DCT.. I just got off the phone with them. Still doing the same thing and now approaching the end of my warranty. Can someone confirm there is an actual recall in the US? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone please let us know what the software update is called? I've talked to the US Honda customer service people and they don't have any software recalls and they don't have any idea that there is a problem with the 2020 TRX 520. I've had my machine for 18 months now and it's been at the dealership for at least 6 months (3 different times) trying to get it fixed. It worked good the first 4 months, then after it's first service at the dealership it hasn't worked reliably since. Keeps throwing the --- code. Tamson or Greg Bloom, please let us know what software you are referring to. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone please let us know what the software update is called? I've talked to the US Honda customer service people and they don't have any software recalls and they don't have any idea that there is a problem with the 2020 TRX 520. I've had my machine for 18 months now and it's been at the dealership for at least 6 months (3 different times) trying to get it fixed. It worked good the first 4 months, then after it's first service at the dealership it hasn't worked reliably since. Keeps throwing the --- code. Tamson or Greg Bloom, please let us know what software you are referring to. Thanks!
Unfortunately that's all the information I know, I suggest bringing your machine to another dealer to get a second opinion like I did. The guys in the boo
nies knew what they were doing, not like the city dealers at all.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts