Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum as Hondas rarely need a forum to discuss issues.

I have a 2015 foreman 500 with over 2000 kms on it and thankfully not a single issue. I just bought a new 2020 rubicon deluxe 520 EPS DCT... all the bells and whistles as a birthday present for the wife. From brand new, literally right off the trailer had issues going into reverse with the new actuation procedure. I thought it was me, but apparently not. Next, after the usual break in and babying the machine, the transmission shift was starting to act up. At first only on start up, would not go into gear. The standard line [-] on the LCD display. Get off and rock back and forth and typically your on your way. Yesterday, my boys took the machines out and the new one, the 2020 during riding wouldn't shift at all (was stuck in 3rd or 4 - whatever gear you would be in going 25-30 km/h). Was dangerous, my son almost flipped the machine - looking at the display [-] and not paying attention. He pulled over when it was safe to do so, turned the machine off. He then tried to turn it on, transmission was clicking and no success getting it into gear. Rocked back and forth and finally after 3 tries got it working again. Another 15 minutes of riding and it did it again. Exactly the same symptom - during riding would not shift at all - stuck in a particular gear. the weird thing is there are no codes to account for this. I have called the dealership but allegedly without codes they cant help. I am very frustrated. First: has anyone experienced this, and second, can anyone help with a call to action?

I love the Hondas but this fault is very dangerous. Frankly, I am shocked that the ECM/ECU cannot detect faults in situations like this. I would expect that the Honda Engineers would capture this type of fault in the firmware of the machine. The logic is simple and the feedback loop is trivial. Why can't they simply call a warning (speed sensor, shift command, shift verification)? Makes no sense to me.

Can anyone please help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum as well. Just bought a 2021 rubicon EPS DCT two weeks ago and I'm having shifting issues as well, in the esp mode. I have 75 miles on it and it has done it about a dozen times. It all of a sudden won't let me shift and the gear position on the screen will be blank. I end up stopping and turning the machine off. When I turn the key back in the on position I get the transmission clicking and a code flashing. After rocking it back in forth it ends up back in neutral starts up and everything is all good and back to normal, until it does it again at some point. Very frustrated! Called dealership and they told them about it and they said I would have to leave it there for at least a week because they are not sure when they can take a look at it. Not very happy! Gonna trade it for a foot shift if I can find one because I can't trust this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the same problem. The dealer told me that they could not duplicate and that there were no codes, so they can't do anything. I went for a ride on the weekend and the problem is happening more frequently. I'm going to take it back one more time and call Honda Canada as suggested if that don't do something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi All, if you are experiencing this same problem, can we collectively outline what the precursor situation causes this to act up? Maybe collectively we can assemble some conditions that would cause this so Honda can track it down and rectify it? I assume that Honda would never let out a product unvalidated or without rigorous testing.

Mine:
1. Problems when starting, not going into gear. Rocking back and forth often resets this.
2. When driving, automatic gear shifting gets disabled. Engine is warm at operating temperature.
3. Battery is fully charged using the optimate battery maintainer per dealer recommendation - allegedly battery charge is critical - but most system level logic should operate at 5V (or 3.6V). Unless there is an amplifier issue in the regulator circuit, I do not recommend this action. I was foolish in buying this after the fact
4. inconsistent Reverse from Drive via shift lever - completely stopped. Sometimes goes into Neutral.

Any other input from the community?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you captured this issue very well, sounds exactly like my ATV. The only thing I would add is that the problem seems to be triggered when my ATV is trying to down shift.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You need to rock a foot shift to get it in to reverse, maybe you need to break it in more.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to rock a foot shift to get it in to reverse, maybe you need to break it in more.....
I have a 2020 foreman 520 foot shift and at first it would hesitate to go into gears every once and a while. Being a foot shift I was able to keep trying and or force the shift and after a while it shifts buttery smooth no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up my 2021 rubicon this afternoon at the dealership, after leaving it there for a week for the shifting issues in esp mode. They said they rode it in the parking lot one afternoon and could not duplicate the problem. I don't think they put much effort and time into trying to figure out the issue by the way it sounded. When I got home I took it for a spin on the trails behind the house and after about 3 miles it would not shift, stuck in gear. Once again turned off the machine and back on, then get the transmission clicking noise with (-) blinking on the display screen. After rocking the machine it gets back in neutral and fires up and is fine until at some point it does it again. Very frustrated with the situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up my 2021 rubicon this afternoon at the dealership, after leaving it there for a week for the shifting issues in esp mode. They said they rode it in the parking lot one afternoon and could not duplicate the problem. I don't think they put much effort and time into trying to figure out the issue by the way it sounded. When I got home I took it for a spin on the trails behind the house and after about 3 miles it would not shift, stuck in gear. Once again turned off the machine and back on, then get the transmission clicking noise with (-) blinking on the display screen. After rocking the machine it gets back in neutral and fires up and is fine until at some point it does it again. Very frustrated with the situation.
Yes. This is exactly the same as what I got when I took back to the dealer this week. . Apparently the dealers cannot fix without a code. I simply can’t accept this. I am hoping that this is a programming issue however from my experience there is a sensor that does not reliably feed into the required logic. I think it’s time to call Honda Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put my ATV into the dealer for a second time and they told me that they could not recreate the problem which was not a surprise because they can't drive it under normal trail conditions. So I called Honda Canada and insisted that they open a service case #. That seems to have caught the dealers attention and they have told me that they will work with the Honda Techline support people. Hopefully this will get the ATV shifting problem fixed. I would suggest that everyone having this problem call the Honda Customer Help line and maybe if they get enough complaints they will take this issue seriously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I opened one up with Honda Canada too. The problem is they are not allowed to look at US bases forums like this. But great advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, what I meant to ask is... Did they give you the case # ?. I had to supply my case number to the dealer for them to proceed and take it seriously.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just heard back from the dealer and they said that they were able to drive it and get a code. As a result, they replaced the "Angle Sensor". I'm going to take it for a ride this weekend and I'll report back. Hopefully it's fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats good to know. I had no luck yet with the dealer. What I did do was go back to old school. I noticed that the "gear" light on the display was not illuminated. Next, while driving, when in automatic mode, the display switched from "D" to "2" and then failed to shift normally. Pulled over, shut off and then the standard "click" "click" "click" from the transmission. Got it to neutral finally and limped it home. Took off the cowling and seat and then started to wiggle all of the connectors. Key on and then the gear light was back on, and on a quick ride seemed to shift OK. I am starting to think that it may be a harness - but could be coincidence, or as you say, most likely a sensor. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took the ATV for a ride and the problem seems to be fixed (time will tell?). I was told that computer did not register the code but they got a "code 22" from 2 slow and 2 fast flashing bars on the console where the gear numbers or D would normally be displayed. Angle Sensor was then replaced. This is an easy fix for the dealer, so I would push them to change out the Angle Sensor, code or not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 rubicon 520 dct and during my first trail ride today while in ESP mode I got stuck in a gear with a dash instead of the gear displayed. It appears I had four long flashes and 6 short ones but I don't have a book to look up the codes. There was only 7 miles of easy dirt trail riding on the bike when it first happened. Both times cycling the key caused it to auto downshift into neutral and it worked fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts