Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After much unsuccessful searching here and everywhere looking for the best route for the wires and where to mount the relay box, I finally just figured it out myself. The wire harness that came with the winch had longer battery leads than winch leads, making it necessary to find a spot near the front for the relay. After reading that most folks mount the relay near the battery box, I thought I might just swap the battery leads with the winch leads and live with the non-standard color coding. Before trying that, however, I was afraid the battery leads would be too short to reach the battery box from the winch, turns out I was right. I had just enough length to get from the battery to the watertight compartment on the left front fender. I still need to add a grommet and seal up the holes, but I am satisfied this will work great last long time. I have to now source a bolt (I stripped the threads being careless and impatient) for the forward left skid plate attachment as seen just behind the plow in the glamour shot. The most I would ever put in that watertight box is my wallet and phone, but both still fit with room to spare.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no use for the sealed box and didn’t have the wire length to reach the tool box. The sealed box is hardly destroyed. Holes can be plugged with standard rubber plugs, or I can weld them shut if I ever decide to change it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks good, well done! Dealer installed mine under the fender...seal box would've been a better location.

Reactions: Mudwhistle

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks good, now you need some snow...

Reactions: Mudwhistle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have since sealed the holes with grommets and sealant. And, more importantly, IT SNOWED!!!?

20200111_154245.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems like a waste of a dedicated space. I agree that the WARN wires were too short, but I placed my contactor in the rear box, and bought longer wires for my 2020 Deluxe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seems like a waste of a dedicated space. I agree that the WARN wires were too short, but I placed my contactor in the rear box, and bought longer wires for my 2020 Deluxe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I dedicated the space to my winch relay specifically because it was wasted space otherwise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I dedicated the space to my winch relay specifically because it was wasted space otherwise.
Understood. Nice looking install.
You know, you can buy a replacement door from Honda accessories for that compartment, which turns it into a drink holder. Normally, it would rob interior space, but with you not needing the space, it looks like it would fit with your contactor inside. As well, the contactor can build up a lot of heat when used excessively, such as plowing. Keep an eye on any wires which come into contact with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has a quite large drink holder where the warning labels used to be on the RF fender. It was installed by the previous owner. I use that as a temporary place to hold the trash I collect along the road in front of my place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts