Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the gear indicater box I get a flashing dash mark ( - ). Atv will not shift to D,or R. It seems to be stuck in N but just shows ( - ) Owners Manuel says to take it to the dealer. I was wonder if this has happen to anybody else ? Also was wondering if any of this was covered in the service manual ?

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
rock it back and forth or shut it off and turn it back on. I've had it happen before and that seemed to help. once the transmission broke in better I haven't had it happen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rocking didn't help. I had thought about using the tool supplied to shift it manually but with only 100 miles on the ATV i don't think that is normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has done it a few times when it was cold. No problems once warmed up, after I performed my initial service it shifts way better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine did that last week while I was riding, I stopped to open up a gate on the farm and I heard a low knock sound while I hit the throttle to move forward. I looked at my screen and it was a ( - ). I rocked the crap out of my bike and tried D and R but nothing worked. I ended up turning it off and then I started it back up and it worked fine. Not sure what caused it. Also I have about 120 miles on mine now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also try squeezing the right brake handle and shifting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to the dealer. Waiting to see what they say. Before I bought the atv I wondered if this would be a problem, since the old atv had a lever gear selector. Would of went with a manual if they offered a low sub trans.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Took it to the dealer. Waiting to see what they say. Before I bought the atv I wondered if this would be a problem, since the old atv had a lever gear selector. Would of went with a manual if they offered a low sub trans.
Let us know what they find. I was out cutting some trail a few weeks ago and my machine was doing the same. I would turn the key off and it would correct itself. We were starting and stopping quite a bit. So far it hasn't been a issue. I thought maybe it was something that got wet. We had to cross a river, but it wasn't too deep.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you get your quad back? Is the issue fixed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you get your quad back? Is the issue fixed?

I have not got the quad back yet. The mechanic at the dealer (also a longtime friend so not going to bs me) called me Friday. He said it had tripped two fault codes dealing with the shifting circuit. He cleared the codes and road the quad to see if they would fault again and it did. Only one fault now. checked the plugs on the circuit and in one he found a little moisture and small amount of corrosion on one pin. The plug had been greased as well. Cleaned and greased plug. Been test riding for short periods for a couple of days been fine. He had initially called the honda rep and was still waiting for a response. He said the code discription was kind of vegue so he wanted to hear from the rep before he gave the quad back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not got the quad back yet. The mechanic at the dealer (also a longtime friend so not going to bs me) called me Friday. He said it had tripped two fault codes dealing with the shifting circuit. He cleared the codes and road the quad to see if they would fault again and it did. Only one fault now. checked the plugs on the circuit and in one he found a little moisture and small amount of corrosion on one pin. The plug had been greased as well. Cleaned and greased plug. Been test riding for short periods for a couple of days been fine. He had initially called the honda rep and was still waiting for a response. He said the code discription was kind of vegue so he wanted to hear from the rep before he gave the quad back.
Did u get your quad back and do u know the problem?? I’m having that issue right now, b great the heat your story

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did u get your quad back and do u know the problem?? I’m having that issue right now, b great the heat your story
I’m having the same issues with my 2015 Honda rubicon n it’s at the dealer n they can’t find out why it’s not shifting, I change the angle sensor, nothing, they tryed a new cpu n nothing, took the shifting motor out n clear n greased it n it’s fine, now they want to open the engine n look inside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let us know what they find. I was out cutting some trail a few weeks ago and my machine was doing the same. I would turn the key off and it would correct itself. We were starting and stopping quite a bit. So far it hasn't been a issue. I thought maybe it was something that got wet. We had to cross a river, but it wasn't too deep.
Hey I just got my atv back from the dealer n it turn out that there was a broken bolt inside the engine n sometimes it would catch n shift correctly and other times it wouldn’t - it wasn’t cheap to get fix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts