Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here comes a longish post and I'm really hoping somebody can help. I bought a used 2015 Honda Foreman and I've been loving it. I've only had it a few months and have had pretty much no problems until recently. I would always turn my bike off in reverse so it could never roll backwards when I have it sitting on the trailer for only about 5-7 days at a time. I take it out every weekend so it definitely doesn't sit for long. But anyways, since I turn it off in reverse, I have to shift it back into to neutral to start it. A few weeks ago I started having a problem where it wouldnt shift up into neutral after pressing the shift up button multiple times. Ended up hitting the shift motor with a wrench and it ended up shifting perfectly the whole rest of the ride. Then a week later on the next ride, had to hit it again to get it to shift. Skip ahead a little bit, ended up doing an oil change and diff fluid change and decided to dig into the shift motor since I heard honda puts thick gummy grease in the shift motor or on the gears and causes it to freeze up over time. Ended up getting the shift motor and pulled the gears off with it and unplugged the connector on the side of the shift motor. I looked at the gears and it was like bone dry so I decided to put all temp lithium lube on it so it has atleast something. I never pulled apart the actual shift motor itself. I Ended up putting it back together and bolted it back into the engine and I switched my key to on and it still wouldn't shift, it was trying to shift but still couldnt. So I unplugged the connector on the side of the shift motor and replugged it back in and then all of a sudden it the shift motor makes no sound at all or acts like its even trying to shift. There is some dielectric grease on that connector and I see some dirt specs and what not so I may need to clean the connector but for some reason its like the shift motor is getting no power at all unlike before.

I also forgot to mention, the neutral light has been blinking ever since the shift motor supposedly "died" or getting no power at all. I checked the fuse, its perfectly fine. My battery is perfectly fine, charged it all night and still nothing. I also tried the truck where you hold the up and down shift st the same time and turn the bike key to on and still nothing.

I really hope somebody can help me with this.. I have spent hours doing research and read so many threads and its like nobody has had this same exact problem. I know im not the only one. Please help :(

PS: The neutral light blinks two slow times and two fast times. Cant find what the code means at all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you squeeze the front brakes when in gear you can start the bike, no need to find neutral to start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. I have a 2015 Foreman ES that is stuck in reverse. In my research i’ve concluded that it may be the angle sensor. I’ve ordered a new one, but I don’t know where the current angle sensor sits. Did you get your problem fixed? If so, what did you do. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem. I have a 2015 Foreman ES that is stuck in reverse. In my research i’ve concluded that it may be the angle sensor. I’ve ordered a new one, but I don’t know where the current angle sensor sits. Did you get your problem fixed? If so, what did you do. I wish you the best of luck!
Hey! Yea I did fix the problem after a long week of research and anger. So I started by taking my shift motor off and taking it apart and cleaning it and then a whole mess happened from there. Long story short, I bought a new angle sensor & a new shift motor and it's good as new.

But you might be on luck learning from my mistakes. There are a few things you can try but I also have a question. Do you turn your bike off in reverse? I do that as well and when I go to take it off the trailer, it wont shift to neutral. A trick is to hold the right brake lever and start the bike, you'll be able to start it in gear and be able to reverse and get the gears moving to shift back into neutral. If that doesn't work, try spamming the absolute piss out of the shift up button and it might shift into neutral and be good as new. Funny story that involves that process. After I put on my new shift motor and angle sensor, my bike wouldn't shift into reverse so I spent a few days doing research and taking the shift motor off and messing with the gears and putting it back on and taking the new angle sensor off and putting the old one on and nothing worked. So one day I got irritated and held the red button and left lever and spammed the piss out of down shift and it went into reverse and has been fine ever since. Maybe that's the case with yours?

I would start with the easiest fixes first. Try spamming the piss out of up shift, if that doesn't work then hold in the right brake lever and start the bike. It bypass whatever so you can start it in gear. After it starts, reverse a couple feet and then try shifting into neutral. If that doesn't work, replace the angle sensor (located on the very back of your motor). So sit down on the floor behind your fourwheeler and look at the back of your motor, you'll see a black fat "T" looking object with a plug leading to it held on by allen bolts. Whenever you replace it, no need to preload it like you probably seen before. When you take the old angle sensor off, take off the rubber circle o-ring that is connected to it and put it on the new one, can't forget that step. Then put the new angle sensor on and tighten it with the same Allen screws or new ones if it came with it.

If none of that works, replace the shift motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome! I’m glad you got the problem fixed and I greatly appreciate your in depth response as I found it incredibly helpful. I’m receiving a new angle sensor today and I will replace that. I will let you know when I have it all running again. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! Yea I did fix the problem after a long week of research and anger. So I started by taking my shift motor off and taking it apart and cleaning it and then a whole mess happened from there. Long story short, I bought a new angle sensor & a new shift motor and it's good as new.

But you might be on luck learning from my mistakes. There are a few things you can try but I also have a question. Do you turn your bike off in reverse? I do that as well and when I go to take it off the trailer, it wont shift to neutral. A trick is to hold the right brake lever and start the bike, you'll be able to start it in gear and be able to reverse and get the gears moving to shift back into neutral. If that doesn't work, try spamming the absolute piss out of the shift up button and it might shift into neutral and be good as new. Funny story that involves that process. After I put on my new shift motor and angle sensor, my bike wouldn't shift into reverse so I spent a few days doing research and taking the shift motor off and messing with the gears and putting it back on and taking the new angle sensor off and putting the old one on and nothing worked. So one day I got irritated and held the red button and left lever and spammed the piss out of down shift and it went into reverse and has been fine ever since. Maybe that's the case with yours?

I would start with the easiest fixes first. Try spamming the piss out of up shift, if that doesn't work then hold in the right brake lever and start the bike. It bypass whatever so you can start it in gear. After it starts, reverse a couple feet and then try shifting into neutral. If that doesn't work, replace the angle sensor (located on the very back of your motor). So sit down on the floor behind your fourwheeler and look at the back of your motor, you'll see a black fat "T" looking object with a plug leading to it held on by allen bolts. Whenever you replace it, no need to preload it like you probably seen before. When you take the old angle sensor off, take off the rubber circle o-ring that is connected to it and put it on the new one, can't forget that step. Then put the new angle sensor on and tighten it with the same Allen screws or new ones if it came with it.

Awesome! I’m glad you got the problem fixed and I greatly appreciate your in depth response as I found it incredibly helpful. I’m receiving a new angle sensor today and I will replace that. I will let you know when I have it all running again. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jayden,

Did you grease the new shift motor before installing it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts