Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 4x4 ES. Has 8000 miles. Turned it off and won't start since. Turns over with the button.
Here's what I've done:
Yes, kill switch is off.
New spark plug and coil. Will spark when held against the frame once button is pushed.
New battery.
Broke the injector yoke when trying to see if fuel was getting to the injector, so new yoke and new injector.
Fuel pours through once key is on.
Will not start on starting fluid. Also poured some gas in the injector hole. No start.

Thinking maybe the main ground?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like it has fire and fuel so the next part of the equation is compression. Have you checked that (even with just your finger if you don't have a gauge)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's getting above my pay grade! Not sure I know how to test it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks to YouTube I checked compression. Very low, maybe 10. Poured some oil in the hole and it jumps to about 90.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok, thanks to YouTube I checked compression. Very low, maybe 10. Poured some oil in the hole and it jumps to about 90.

Most of the time, this test result indicates a piston ring problem. Could be worn rings, rings stuck due to carbon or rust, broken ring, piston damage.

10psi is about the same as zero.

Any symptoms or events while on the last ride? Noises, loss of power, smoke, deep water, high rpm run, anything at all?

Remove the oil cap and crank the starter. Notice pulses of air coming out of the fill hole? Some pulsing is expected, but above a certain level, it means damage to piston/rings most often.

I suppose the timing chain could have jumped, but I'm not sure about oil increasing the reading in that case, it might do that in the right situation. Timing chains usually jump on shutdown. It ran fine coming in but now it won't start, common scenario for a jumped chain. You can roll the marks up to their correct alignment and see if they match up. Alignment has to be precise, close doesn't count.

You can download a manual from link found here in the forum. Don't have it handy right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy that works for me was riding it this summer. Said it just wouldn't crank after he shut it off.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guy that works for me was riding it this summer. Said it just wouldn't crank after he shut it off.

If I were troubleshooting it at this point, I'd want to check the timing chain marks.

Fuel, air, and spark, the basics. Then you need compression and timing, both ignition timing and valve timing. In this case I'm leaning hard toward valve timing. That would be my next check, to prove myself right or wrong.

If the valve timing is off far enough, you get no compression. It may have even broken the timing chain.

Will be interesting to see what the problem is. Burned piston or bad timing chain? Swallowed a valve or burned a valve?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, checked the valve clearances, still no start. What's next?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made sure it was at top dead center. Is it normal for the chain to roll on it's own when turning it clockwise? Gets to a point and just goes on around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I made sure it was at top dead center. Is it normal for the chain to roll on it's own when turning it clockwise? Gets to a point and just goes on around.

It can be normal, if the cam lobe is hopping off it's high spot, but you shouldn't see that at TDC of the compression stroke. I can't see your engine, or don't know for sure what you did, but I would bet on the cam timing marks being way off. If it was at TDC compression stroke when it rolled on over, the cam timing is probably way off.

Need to download the free manual and dig into checking those timing marks, for the cam timing.

If the cam chain hasn't jumped, it's most likely got a valve problem or serious piston damage. There are ways to see where the compression is going, but without checking the cam timing first, it would be a waste of time.

Get to where you can see all the marks and know what they're supposed to be, then use a breaker bar to turn the crank. That way you can stop on the crank mark and see if the cam mark is aligned at the same time. Needs to be dead-on, not just close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just noticed it when turning it around to the T mark. I'll dig in the manual. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to this forum and YouTube I rebuilt the top end and valve seats. She cranked!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove the oil cap and crank the starter. Notice pulses of air coming out of the fill hollow? Some pulsing is anticipated shoes reviews, but above a sure level, it manner harm to piston/rings most often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts