1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got these old girls last weekend,

my boy's 11 and 8 are super excited to have there own ATV's

they need some TLC to be operational.

I got the 200SX running and took for a spin around the yard with it.

short list of repairs for each that I know of.
200SX needs a seat, Oil change, Rear Tires, Air Filter, Choke Cable not working, Front Brakes, Handle bar grips, Rear fender and front fender Plastic repair.

TRX 125 Repair list, Tie rod broke on left front tire. Got tie rod end with it to replace. Front rack/bumper missing whats left is bent to the right. Front brake lines have been cut.

ill be busy getting these old Honda's up and running but the boys can help out with the repairs and learn some stuff along the way. Heck I'll be learning as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got the 125 TRX running last night as well.

Having problems getting the choke cable taken off on the 200sx,

the holding nut is gone from the upper end and it's just floating around up there and I though It would take it off spent 30min and still haven't gotten it removed from the carb end yet either.

thinking I might take it to the local ATV shop and let them deal with it.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Pics aren't working, but would love to see them.

Basfnb bought a 125 for his kid, and picked up another one for me a while back that needs a lot of work. Hopefully I'll have more kids at some point and will build it to start them out on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics aren't working, but would love to see them.

Basfnb bought a 125 for his kid, and picked up another one for me a while back that needs a lot of work. Hopefully I'll have more kids at some point and will build it to start them out on.

thanks for letting me know on the pics.

they should be showing up for you guys now?

if not let me know thanks

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Yeah they're showing up now.

The one without a front rack is a 200? Looks like basfnb's kid's 125. His is an 87 (?) while mine is an 84 (IIRC) and looks like the one with the front rack

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1986 Fourtrax 200sx has the racks and is on the left,

1985 trx125 is without racks and is on the right.

I have drove the 200sx and when first started the throttle was a little touchy, Maybe old gas? I added in fresh premium and it seemed to respond better.

I had the 125 running last night.

slow progress on them but hoping to have them up and running and being used soon.

If they run good due I need to worry about anything with the engines?
the 200 will get oil change and new air cleaner as the old air cleaner is just the metal screen.
there is build up on the front the engine near the spark plug. I was going to clean that off and keep a eye on it if it returns.
Having valves check for clearance's or anything?

the 125 will get a oil change and the air cleaner looked good on that one.

Im a novice on engine work on these old ATV's

thanks for your help and viewing.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_TKSTsdx3KNRlRpdjBDQjl5TGs

Factory service manuals are available free in PDF format at that link.

I would change the oil, clean and oil the air filters, put in a new spark plug, and run them. If they are tapping you might adjust the valves, but if they run ok and aren't making any weird racket just ride them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had one of each as well. Both that I rebuilt when I was around 14/15 years old.

Biggest issue you would see is that someone lets the chain get too loose and it cracks the outer crankcase.

Other than that, man those things were tough. The 125 is a bit rough to ride with no suspension at all though. Or at least I recall mine having none.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
been almost a year with the Old ATV.s

Both was out and being used on this last Saturday.

the 200SX runs fine and nimble snappy little ATV,
Still needs a seat but it works fine for what it is.

the 125 runs good cold but when warmed up she smoke's.
thinking I'll just keep a eye on the oil level and pray to get another 1-2 years out of it and then upgrade that ATV with something a little bit bigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts