Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 Foreman TRX500. I'm the original owner, never had an issue until now. I have a large property and use the ATV to plow my driveway. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and we recently have had a lot of cold weather and heavy snowfall. Yesterday I was out plowing for a couple hours, taking it easy, not working the ATV too hard. It worked great for the first hour and a half, then it began acting up.

The ATV starts perfectly and idles while in Neutral without any issue. You can shift (Electric Shift) into first gear and it will continue to idle just fine. As soon as you press the throttle, the ATV starts to bog down and will stall out. If you really work the throttle you can get the RPMs up and prevent it from stalling, once in motion the ATV will drive no problem, until you stop and attempt to take off again. When it does stall out, you are able to shift back to Neutral and it starts right up and will again idle just fine while in Neutral. Also, if you switch from Neutral into reverse, it seems to work just fine.

Other info:
It has been very cold here lately.
The ATV is kept in a non heated barn.
The issue started not long after driving through some deep snow.

Any ideas on what I should check? look for? replace?

Thanks,
Carter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

1) Tried adding some gas-line antifreeze to the fuel, didn't make a difference.

2) I have noticed that when I first start up the ATV, it works fine for about 15 mins, it seems the issue only arises once the engine is heated up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carter

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
OK is it maybe pissible that theer is some water in the motor oil? and once its up to temp working fine?
have you tried adjusting the clutch??
I would also maybe suggest switching to a good syn oil, if you don't use, it will work better in the cold temps
as your clutch plates might be sticking some?? causing a load and power/idle loss?? this can be where a good syn oil can be a bigger help, as it seems to be more slick on things LOL and not so thick in cold temps at start up and cold motors!
also, check your gas cap vent, might be blocked with snow, water ice, snow,and causing vapor lock!

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Is it cutting out or just bogging down a bit? If it's cutting out check your micro switches on your brake levers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MRBB: The funny thing is, it works better cold than it does once heated up. There are no issues with the bike when first started, its only after about 15 mins that the stalling starts.

JEEPWM69: In Neutral, Reverse, any forward gear it will sit an idle all day long. As soon as you touch the throttle, it bogs down and stalls out. If you rev it up hard you can get it to drive, once you are driving and on the throttle it works perfect, and you can switch gears, drive for hours. As soon as you come to a complete stop it idles fine, apply throttle again and it bogs and stalls out. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having a similar issue with a 2007 Foreman 500ES with electronic transmission. I am leaning towards the thought that it may be an electrical issue. When the engine is actually put under a load, it requires more electrical power and thus the spark may not be 'Hot' enough. I will be changing the spark plug and checking the power coming from the coil. If that isn't the issue, I will then check the 'BRAIN' to see if it is sending the correct power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds like perhaps the clutch needs adjustment, in that it isn't allowing enough slippage to allow it to rev.

One other (Obscure) possibility is that one of the valves (Most likely the intake) is too tight, so that it has some clearance when cold, but not warmed up, since the valve will grow in length when hot. This would account for it running OK once you get it going, because the larger amount of incoming charge would tend to cool the valve, allowing to (Barely) seal.

If it were the exhaust, it would start jus as it does, but it would do nothing but run worse, was it warmed and ran.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
drain some fuel out of the bowl of the carb and catch it in a clear container .....my guess is water in the fuel .....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Drained the fuel tank and replaced 100 percent gasoline, no effect. The valve clearance makes sense and I will check it. I don't think the clutch adjustment has much to do with it because I can start the engine and it idles fine, but as soon as I apply a slight amount of throttle, the engine kills even in neutral.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drained the fuel tank and replaced 100 percent gasoline, no effect. The valve clearance makes sense and I will check it. I don't think the clutch adjustment has much to do with it because I can start the engine and it idles fine, but as soon as I apply a slight amount of throttle, the engine kills even in neutral.

Did you drain the carb as well? Their is a screw just for that purpose. A bit of water in the bottom of the float bowl could do it.

There is a drain hose from just below the drain screw in the bottom of side of the float bowl. Just loosen the screw, drain a couple of ounces and try it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Valve adjustment was OK. Problem not solved.

TRX500Fm starts and runs perfect for the first 10 or fifteen minutes. Throttles up fine through all gears, no problem. After fifteen minutes I have to feather the throttle to keep from bogging down. When I come to a stop, it idles fine, but kills as soon as I throttle up the slightest bit.(even in neutral)Cranks and idles fine again, but kills when I throttle up. I can start it over and over until finally, I can throttle up, put it in gear and drive it, but I have to feather the throttle very carefully or it will kill again. Not fuel, not valve adjustment, not clutch adjustment... HELP PLEASE.
Any suggestions? I am a machinist and shade tree mechanic for outboards, cars and lawn mowers, but I am new to ATVs. Any help would be appreciated, before I am forced to put it in the shop.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Only other thought is maybe you have a little chunk of something floating in the float bowl, that is getting sucked into the low speed jet. If I were you, I would take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. I have difficulty seeing this as either electrical or (After eliminating valve issues) a compression problem. That leaves something wandering around in the float bowl. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

Hello Everyone,

Just bought my first ATV and have been loving it, but. I've been having the exact same problem that has been posted in this thread. The thread died in 2016 with no solution.

Please help me

I have a 2008 TRX500 and have been using it to plow. It's been freezing lately and it's been having problem.

Starts fine and can clear for about an hour then is starts to bog down and sound choked up (sometimes it even backfires)

I have to keep the engine reved up so it doesnt stall especially if I stop or have to switch gears.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Unscrew your gas tank cap and see if your problem goes away.

My vent line on my gas cap had ice in it the other day, started sputtering when a vacuum was created in the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
have you tried cleaning the plug or replacing it? my 125 was doing something similar, would work cold, but ones warmed up would spit and sputter and wouldn't idle.... took it to jeep, he pulled the plug, ran fine... and I still have to clean it from time to time, carb running lean or rich, but I got another carb to replace it with...

but it may just be that.... prolly wont be, but cleaning/replacing the plug pretty easy..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts