Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago, I had the flashing error/shift angle sensor issue and replaced the sensor.

Shift problem today is different. Cranked it up this evening to chick trail cams. Starred moving forward and display alternates netweenm1 and horizontal dashes. I'm set number, it just kept flashing back and forth. Turned, key off and back on and restarted the machine. Shifted normally until, I stopped to open gate. Again, the alternating flash. And the same key off/key on got me rolling again.

Got to woods and turned off Foreman. Checked cameras and got back on. Cranked up and tried to put in reverse. Nothing.

Tried forward. Nothing. Turned key off and back on. Appeared clear, but after starting, it wouldn't shift into gear at all, not even with key on but not running. Just blank horizontal dashes.

Was trying to remember where eye manual shift lever is and decided one more time to turn key on and try to put in first gear before cracking. I'm went into 1, a I gripped break and started up. It stayed inn1st and I drove it home in 1st, as it wouldn't that at all...

Puled it into garage and turned it off. After several attempts, it began shifting normally through gears....

I'm at a loss...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I spent the last 6 hours doing the following:

1. Removed skit plate
  2. Removed angle sensor
  3. Removed right front fender liner and bracket for better access
  4. Unbolted the shift motor- surprise- the motor came apart (armature came off with the external case)
  5. Spent the next hour reassembling the electric motor (cleaned up the innards while it was open - was full of carbon and yuck.
  6. I had to replace one of the brush springs that vanished when it came apart.
  7. After I got the shift motor put back together, unprocessed to clean-up the area and put it all back together, as all the little gears and such appeared ok.
  8. Used electrical connection cleaner to clean the plug (and several others while I had gender well off).
  9. Applied dielectric grease to all wiring plug-in could reach.
  10. Got the rest of the ATV reassembled and buttoned up.
  11. Started the ATV. No blinks.
  12. Tried to put it in gear...success into 1st
  13. Shift to 2nd... Doesn't quite get all the way into gear, gear indicator blank. Gear indicator begins flashing: N N -- NN--NN-- repeating.
  14. If engine is not running, I can cycle up and down gears, though so I have to rock the bike a bit to get it in gear.
From what I found, two flashes is possible fault in the gear change switch (up down buttons)?

Sigh.

So what next?

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Verify you can manually shift through all the gears to rule out mechanical issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Verify you can manually shift through all the gears to rule out mechanical issues.
Manually shifting (with the emergency shift foot thing) works as normal.

Out of curiosity - I tried again with the electronic shift - and still goes to the flashing N

SOOOOO..... With a hunting trip in just over a week, and after already investing several hours - I loaded it on the trailer and headed to dealership with it (after a morning meeting).

When backing it out of the garage this morning, it wouldn't go into reverse at all - so I turned it off, then key back on and got it to shift into reverse without the engine running just fine. Started it with it in Reverse/brake held. Backed out, then tried to shift into 1 - which failed with a return to the flashing N (still a cycle of two flashes). So turned it off, then key on - pushed up button and it went right into gear - then started it with it in gear - and pulled onto trailer.

Get to dealership and tall service guy the issues - he goes out, I unstrap it and put ramps out. He starts it and it goes right into reverse like a new bike. He backed off and then it went right into first gear. He drove around their large lot - running up and down the gears and it didn't miss a shift or throw an error!

Went in to finish paperwork and he had left it running to get it all the way warmed up (it was 27 degrees outside). He followed me out to my truck and again ran it through the gears - both sitting still and around the back parking lot...

BUT - while it will cost me a little, I'm going to have them check it out. Last thing I need is to get out in the middle of nowhere in the woods and have it hang up. But at least there is the emergency foot shifter.

Sigh...

·
Registered
12 Posts
usually either the position sensor or the gears have thick grease from factory I cleaned mine out and sprayed with lithium grease and never had an issue again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
usually either the position sensor or the gears have thick grease from factory I cleaned mine out and sprayed with lithium grease and never had an issue again
What year is your bike? No grease on shift motor gear set- it has oil in the gears (2009)

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine had like a really thick grease where the gears meshed and was doing the same N flashing symbol. It would manually shift fine for me, make sure you also remove the house for the first gears not just the shift motor.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
If you have oil in the shift reduction gear housing you have a seal out and that oil got into the shift motor. You found the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts