Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellows I have a 2007 500 foreman ES. I need a new break drum and other parts, what all years will fit my foreman?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
have to look at part numbers, pick a few yrs and check and see what has same part numbers

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
About any year of that body style will work for most parts. 05-11 foreman and 05-14 rubicon on drive line parts. Just depends on the other parts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go to Super ATV's website and order their Disc Brake replacement kit. You get everything you need to replace the drum brakes front and rear (separate kit for rear) with all new Disc brakes. They are much easier to work on and a lot more powerful. You will be glad you did, I installed them on my 2001 Rubicon when I got tired of cleaning water and mud out of the drums. They are well worth the money and will bring more resale value to your Honda.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here are some pictures of my new disc breaks. FYI, I had to add 1" wheel spacers to the front for clearance, because of the aluminum wheels, steel wheels had more clearance for that model year. It may be a non issue with the 2007, but Super ATV has good info on that as well as a chat line.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go to Super ATV's website and order their Disc Brake replacement kit. You get everything you need to replace the drum brakes front and rear (separate kit for rear) with all new Disc brakes. They are much easier to work on and a lot more powerful. You will be glad you did, I installed them on my 2001 Rubicon when I got tired of cleaning water and mud out of the drums. They are well worth the money and will bring more resale value to your Honda.

Best advice you will get here. Dont even bother trying to make the drums work, especially the rear. When they do work it's not great. But it's a lot of $ spent and it's not going to work for long.

Even just doing the super ATV front disc conversion is a night and day difference over what the stock drums would ever be capable of.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
07 already had front discs from the factory.

The SuperATV rear kit is iffy unless you want to customize it and make it hydraulic. That said, I'd do the Super ATV rear kit before I'd spend money on the factory rear drum brake.

I just gave up on my rear drums. I just use my front brakes all the time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
07 already had front discs from the factory.

The SuperATV rear kit is iffy unless you want to customize it and make it hydraulic. That said, I'd do the Super ATV rear kit before I'd spend money on the factory rear drum brake.

I just gave up on my rear drums. I just use my front brakes all the time.
There are 2 adjustments to the rear kit when using the factory cables, if you dont do both and experiment you wont get good results. I am using the cables still and I have very good stopping power with the new rear disc. When used with the front it will just about put you over the bars if your not ready for it.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
There are 2 adjustments to the rear kit when using the factory cables, if you dont do both and experiment you wont get good results. I am using the cables still and I have very good stopping power with the new rear disc. When used with the front it will just about put you over the bars if your not ready for it.
I'm going off of reviews from people who ride a lot in thick mud/gumbo. The reviews are not good unless the system is converted to hydraulic.

They seemingly work fine at first, but lose effectiveness over time. It's enough of an issue that Super ATV started a thread over on hondaatvforums asking how much interest there would be in a hydraulic kit and how much people would be willing to pay for one.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
They might have changed the bracket but the one I installed the bracket was too weak to hold the brake straight with the cable pull force. I could have lit a smoke off of the caliper after 15 min of riding. We was going to build the bracket tougher but it is one of those projects that haven't been done yet, we just put the drum back on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I see a lot of posts knocking the drum brakes so there must be something to it. Now I don't go deep into the mud everyday and when I do, when I get home I pressure wash it before it even gets dry. That said, I have had no troubles out of my drums. I have had the cam going into the drum tighten up but with good seals and a little grease, it's just fine. The rear foot pedal also needs to be maintained and greased periodically. I think it was Jeep that said he drilled a hole in his and put a in grease fitting, great idea. Other than those two things, mine have been working great and perform well. To each his own though so not knocking the rear discs, just sounds like a lot of trouble to go to for nothing but maybe different conditions deserve different actions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts