Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2006 rubicon and I am having fuel problems. I have a fuel filter on my fuel line and I will get fuel for about five minutes and then I will stop getting fuel to my filter. I can take my cap off of my tank and remove the hose clamp and take off my fuel line behind the filter and still no fuel. If I get an air chuck and blow air into my tank the fuel will run freely again. I have pulled the pekcock and the screen is clean. I am stumped on this one I don't know of anything else to do. If anyone has had this problem or has any ideas to try they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum !!!!!
when you unscrew the gas cap does it make a sound like air rushing in the tank ?

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
so the fuel cap is venting good .....
when did this start ? all of a sudden , when you put in the in line filter , or slowley over time ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has done this before but bot often. When it did before I used to be able to remove my gas cap and I could watch my filter and it would start to fill with fuel again. But it sat for a few months with ethanol gas and my float stuck and was flooding it out and filling my air box with gas. So I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel filter. It is running fine now while it gets gas and then after a few minutes of running fine I lose all fuel.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
im wondering if the vent lines on the carb are plugged up (mud wasps or spiders make it a home if it sits) but then again if you take the fuel line off the carb it still wont drain down so .....im kinda stumped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I had my carb off I blew air up the vent and blew some water out. But like you said I can take the fuel line off in between the filter and the carb and still nothing. I know that I am gravity fed and I was thinking maybe I had a high spot in my fuel line between the tank and the filter but I don't understand why I woul get fuel for a few minutes and then just suddenly stop.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It has done this before but bot often. When it did before I used to be able to remove my gas cap and I could watch my filter and it would start to fill with fuel again. But it sat for a few months with ethanol gas and my float stuck and was flooding it out and filling my air box with gas. So I cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel filter. It is running fine now while it gets gas and then after a few minutes of running fine I lose all fuel.
So what did you do to fix this? Sounds gas cap related to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't do anything to fix it. It would do it maybe once every three or four rides. Not very often at all but it would still happen some. It still won't let fuel flow even with the gas cap off

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Something must be messed up in the petcock. There's not too may things it can be once the fuel line and gas cap are removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About an hour of stop and go operation Saturday resulted in engine cutting off and inability to start again for more than a few seconds. Took an hour to get truck but started right up and ran fine when I got back to it. I figured it got too hot. Plenty of gas and vented cap several times. Thought maybe ethanol problem but was fine before and since? Sound familiar to anyone. After Honda 3 and 4 wheelers previously I was unsure of hondamatic but 06 rubi has been awesome for 6 years. This was the first problem in 70 hours/300 miles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
drain your gas, take the tank off and wash it out. sounds like you have a leaf or paper or plastic or something floating around in the tank and when it gets to you petcock it it sucking down and stopping it off., Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sound like you are certain that this is a fuel problem. I had a trx300fw with very similar symptoms. I could start it up would run just fine. I would take it for rides, at times it would cut out like no gas getting to the carburetor. At times, it would cut out after riding 5-10 minutes, other times I could ride for an hour. If I left it alone for 15 minutes it would start right up. I tore the carb apart, checked the petcock, yet it keep me puzzled as to what the cause. Even the spark on the plug was good. After 3 months of frustration, I replaced the CDI. It worked like a champ!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is just a guess, but, take a look at how your fuel line is routed. If the fuel line is too close to a hot area on the motor, it could be causing a vapor lock in the fuel line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts