Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I’m new to
The forum and have spent the past few hours reading old posts trying to figure out my shifting problem. My rancher 400at has thrown code 12. I read in a couple posts that it could be the ecm or possibly the regulator. I have a second 400 that’s the exact same and I swapped the parts of the working quad with the broken and still no resolve. All the wiring looks intact. It still drives in reverse and on auto it will drive forward just does not shift beyond first gear. In esp mode will not shift at all. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be or what I can rule out next.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you get 12 flashes, the code refers to ECM/Control Motor or Motor Driver circuit. This is the shift motor that selects the gear required and looks a lot like a starter motor. It's easy to swap, just try the one off your second 400 and see what happens. You may have to reinitialize the ECM but that isn't hard, as long as the components are functioning correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I swapped the shift motor and the code went away and everything appears on the meter to be back to normal. When I put in in the esp mode I can shift through all the gears and everything looks just fine in auto but when I drive it it acts as if it is high revving the entire time and caps out around 25-30mph. This happens both in auto and esp. In esp the meter does display a change in gear when shifting and it seems to have a small difference in the revs when shifting but not normal.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is slipping, only other thing that could go is the Hondamatic itself. You can do a clutch rebuild by pulling off the front cover of the engine and a puller is needed to get it all apart. I'd recommend the motion pro puller for doing this. If it isn't the clutch, well the transmission isn't rebuildable and is only sold as an expensive unit. Hopefully that's not the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts