Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 honda foreman rubicon trx 500 fa sputters in reverse, stuck in high gear in high range and stuck in low gear in low range. Replaced shift angle sensor after code 6 and now code 4 says throttle position sensor ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01 hondarancher35, thanks for the help, but there isn't a clutch, it's an auto trans.

The engine starts and revs up just like my other same year same model, but when reverse is engaged the engine misfires and the misfire gets worse as the rpms increase. A popping sound like an old John Deere tractor ! In high range it is in high and difficult to get moving, so I use low range which is like 2nd gear to get it to my shop. The auto transmission doesn't go up and down speeds or with rpm changes now and the ESP mode doesn't work.
I'm going to swap the ECMs and see if that is the problem. I didn't want to take off and replace all the plastic skin these units have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update:
I swapped parts from a good running 2005 foreman rubicon trx500fa to the rubicon that misses and pops in reverse and is stuck in 2nd or 3rd in high and 1st gear in low range. ESP mode on that unit did not work. I installed another new shift angle sensor, swapped ECMs and the same problems were there. Both ECMs work fine in running Rubicon. When I swapped the throttle position sensors (TPS) the problem atv had all the same problems as before but the good running one started popping in reverse also. Now both units missed when in reverse with each others TPSs. On both units the ESPs did not work also. When I switched TPS back and reset the ECMs the good unit was back to normal and the bad unit was bad yet again. Now I know the TPS is a player so I ordered a new one to try in the bad boy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still working on a 2005 honda foreman rubicon trx500fa that misfires in reverse and is stuck in a high gear in high range and a low gear in low range. The misfire in reverse gets worse as RPM is increased. ESP manual mode does not work. First code was 6 blinks or an angle sensor (AS) so I installed a new one ( actually 2 in case the first new AS was defective) and the code changed to 4 blinks or a throttle position sensor (TPS) .
I installed a new TPS and the code went back to 6 blinks again or the AS ? I have exchanged the ECMs with my second exact same atv and both ECMS operate correctly on the good atv.
When I did exchange the TPSs, the good atv got the misfiring in reverse problem so at that time both units misfired in reverse. That's why I ordered a new TPS. When I put the new TPS in today I did a reset on the control motors of both atvs. The good running honda had a sound like a motor winding up and on the bad honda it was just a click. I didn't do the full throttle and release after I turned key on releasing the up/down buttons and then up, down, and up. Is that throttle procedure necessary? Now i suspect the control motor as a problem.
I still don't understand why the exchange of the TPSs caused the good atv to get the misfire in reverse problem and that misfire went away when I put the original TPS back in the good atv.
Anyone got a next step for me to try. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm surprised that this forum doesn't have a possible solution for this problem with this 2005 honda rubicon. I had it at a dealer for 2 weeks with no results and they wanting to install a new ECM for $400 even though if that wasn't the problem he couldn't return it. I called 2 other honda dealers and 1 said to adjust the clutch ( this atv is a 5 speed automatic !) and the other dealer said it's a battery problem even though the battery tested fine with a meter before and after charging the battery. This engine missing problem when in reverse is common in honda foreman rubicons. Do I have to offer a reward to the member who can solve the problem?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm assuming that when the angle sensor was replaced that it was preloaded correctly like the manual shows?
How about the shift motor, was a different one ever tried? You also need to try rotating the gear by hand that the shift motor turns - make sure it moves freely.
These engines do have a clutch for engagement but there's no adjustment possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Spock. I installed the shift angle sensor by lining up the hour glass hole in the sensor with the slotted shaft on the engine and with downward pressure rotated the sensor about a fifth of a turn clockwise and installed the 2 bolts and did the reset. The just clicking sound instead of a motor rewinding sound on the power shift control motor may be the problem yet ?
What I have found interesting is when i installed the TPS from the bad atv onto the good atv, the popping misfire occurred on the good atv when I put it in reverse. I thought the TPS was obviously faulty on the bad atv. Installing a new TPS on the bad atv didn't correct the misfire in reverse or stuck forward speeds in the high and low ranges. Also installing a new angle senor gave a TPS code and installing a new TPS gives the angle sensor code.
I don't know where and how to turn the gear you're referring to.
I'll order a power shift control motor, a switch assy reverse switch, and a gear position position switch, and a new battery and try those. This is still cheaper than $100 an hour at a dealer. Plus I'll have spare parts for both the 2005 Hondas if that wasn't the problem!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alright, it sounds like you've mounted the angle sensor correctly. You should be hearing the motor cycle when you're doing the initialization.
I'd focus on that issue first. The control (shift) motor may be faulty. That's why I asked if you've tried another one yet.
When you select a gear, that motor (which looks like a small starter motor) turns a gear on the Hondamatic to find that spot.
If the motor is removed from the case, you can feel that gear it is connected to by sticking your finger in the hole.
That gear should turn freely and is quite large so it moves a lot before it stops. Try doing this and let us know.
It is quite likely that one of those parts you're getting is required, time will tell eh? Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spock. I installed a new control motor and did reset and heard just a click from the control motor instead of the motor winding noise I hear from my other good running 200 honda foreman rubicon trx500fa.
After I removed the control motor on the bad rubicon I could NOT rotate the gear with my finger, so to double check that gear, I also removed the control motor on my good rubicon and the rotates freely.
What do you recommend next?
Wish you could do a mind meld with my rubicon !

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like there's an issue with the Hondamatic. Unless you can get that gear to spin normally, there won't be a lot of shifting going on.
I just went through similar troubles with my own 2001 Rubicon and ended up replacing the transmission and oil pump which cost a fortune!
Without tearing it down and possibly replacing the whole works, it isn't likely the Honda will "live long and prosper."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Spock. Can I use a screwdriver to force the gear to move or is there a better way?
I assume to tear down the the Hondamatic requires pulling the motor. Then I could take it apart to see why the gear won't move and replace the defective parts before I buy and install a new Hondamatic transmission. How hard is that job, the cost, and is it worth it?
The bad Rubicon happend to have the Warn winch and controls for a snow blade so I could transfer all that to my working Rubicon. I bought the pair for $6000 2 years ago.
My options are to try to fix the nonshifting atv or drive the working atv and sell or part out the bad Rubicon. Which option sound best to you? What are these Rubicons worth and are they worth more as a pair?

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK, first of all I don't know if you can "unstick" that gear but it's worth a try. It seems like it is pointing to a failure that's mechanical and part of the Hondamatic - they don't sell parts separately for them but there are some guys that rebuild them in the states if the damage isn't too severe. The job to re&re one is motor out & split the cases, so even experienced techs would take around 15 hours or so. Expect new parts to run around $1500. Is it worth it? Well, around here quads go for good money - like 4 or 5 grand for one like yours in good or so so shape. Once they're fixed up and maintained properly they last a long time and usually are more reliable than the competition. I've worked for a Honda/Can Am shop and I like the older Honda's best. In your case, I think I'd keep all the good stuff and sell whats left as is and cut your losses. We got a dump of snow here last night, so I'm off to fire mine up and get plowing!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spock I know Vulcans don't drink alcohol, but I'm having a glass of wine! My 2005 Honda Foreman Rubicon trx500fa is running like a new machine. No more missing in reverse and stuck in a forward gear. D1, D2, ESP, and reverse work again.
As you were aware, I kept getting a code 6 or angle sensor problem so I ordered and installed a new one. Later I checked the 'new' angle sensor compared to the original bad one doing an ohm test while turning the slot and watched the meter, the new one was defective. I installed another new angle sensor. When I installed that angle sensor I preloaded it more than the 1/5 turn by going a good 1/2 turn under some pressure and bolted it in place. I think I didn't preload the first angle sensor enough.
The inner gear was stuck because it was rotated all the way one way. Probably from numerous resets. I turned the gear with a screwdriver to free it and then moved it with my finger and installed the control motor and did a reset. Finally I got a N on the screen instead of a code 6!
Now I have to put ALL the plastic skin back on 2 Rubicons since I tested one by using parts from the other. As you have said, these older Hondas are good atvs as they start and then idle even after weeks between use.
Vulcans do like chocolate, how do I get you some?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey, great news! Glad you didn't have a failed transmission but that was more common on the first couple of years. 2005 got the updated stuff.
Since I'm a Canadian vulcan I'm definitely drinking beer now for a success story like yours! eh!! Happy for you.
I live in the interior of BC - pretty awesome place for off roading.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts