Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 honda foreman rubicon trx 500 fa sputters in reverse, stuck in high gear in high range and stuck in low gear in low range. Replaced shift angle sensor after code 6 and now code 4 says throttle position sensor ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01 hondarancher35, thanks for the help, but there isn't a clutch, it's an auto trans.

The engine starts and revs up just like my other same year same model, but when reverse is engaged the engine misfires and the misfire gets worse as the rpms increase. A popping sound like an old John Deere tractor ! In high range it is in high and difficult to get moving, so I use low range which is like 2nd gear to get it to my shop. The auto transmission doesn't go up and down speeds or with rpm changes now and the ESP mode doesn't work.
I'm going to swap the ECMs and see if that is the problem. I didn't want to take off and replace all the plastic skin these units have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update:
I swapped parts from a good running 2005 foreman rubicon trx500fa to the rubicon that misses and pops in reverse and is stuck in 2nd or 3rd in high and 1st gear in low range. ESP mode on that unit did not work. I installed another new shift angle sensor, swapped ECMs and the same problems were there. Both ECMs work fine in running Rubicon. When I swapped the throttle position sensors (TPS) the problem atv had all the same problems as before but the good running one started popping in reverse also. Now both units missed when in reverse with each others TPSs. On both units the ESPs did not work also. When I switched TPS back and reset the ECMs the good unit was back to normal and the bad unit was bad yet again. Now I know the TPS is a player so I ordered a new one to try in the bad boy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still working on a 2005 honda foreman rubicon trx500fa that misfires in reverse and is stuck in a high gear in high range and a low gear in low range. The misfire in reverse gets worse as RPM is increased. ESP manual mode does not work. First code was 6 blinks or an angle sensor (AS) so I installed a new one ( actually 2 in case the first new AS was defective) and the code changed to 4 blinks or a throttle position sensor (TPS) .
I installed a new TPS and the code went back to 6 blinks again or the AS ? I have exchanged the ECMs with my second exact same atv and both ECMS operate correctly on the good atv.
When I did exchange the TPSs, the good atv got the misfiring in reverse problem so at that time both units misfired in reverse. That's why I ordered a new TPS. When I put the new TPS in today I did a reset on the control motors of both atvs. The good running honda had a sound like a motor winding up and on the bad honda it was just a click. I didn't do the full throttle and release after I turned key on releasing the up/down buttons and then up, down, and up. Is that throttle procedure necessary? Now i suspect the control motor as a problem.
I still don't understand why the exchange of the TPSs caused the good atv to get the misfire in reverse problem and that misfire went away when I put the original TPS back in the good atv.
Anyone got a next step for me to try. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts